Making Connections discussion

ARRs COMPLETED (Post Reviews) > 384. LESBIAN CRUSHES AND BULIMIA: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder by Natasha Holme

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 14665 comments Mod
Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder by Natasha Holme Natasha Holme

Genre: LGBT, diary/memoir, eating disorder

Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder

Book Description

Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia is a real-life diary portrayal of an obsessive nineteen year old lesbian, Natasha, whose internal homophobia, alongside infatuations with other women, bring her condemnation in both her gay and straight environments and drive her into a state of compulsive binge-eating and purging.

Described as "a compelling read" in the rite of passage genre by Helena Whitbread, editor of The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister, Helena draws a parallel between this book and the classics, "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger and "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath.

Edited from detailed, encoded diary entries, the story begins in the summer of 1989. Natasha is obsessively, unrequitedly in love with her former teacher, Miss Williams, a love which she declares openly as a tattoo on her wrist. She meets Alex, a girl her own age, who questions her about the tattoo, revealing her own remarkably similar obsessive love for her former teacher, Miss Wilson. A romance blossoms between the two girls. Alex is slim and beautiful, Natasha is not.

This is the first book to present a diary account of living as a lesbian with an eating disorder.

Be one of the first people to sign up below in order to receive a free copy of this ebook to Read and Review! It would be appreciated if all reviews could be posted on sites: Goodreads and Amazon.

Formats available: Mobi

All reviews should be completed and posted within 4 to 6 weeks after you recieve your copy of the ebook.

Leave us your Name and email address.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (robinsonclan2011) | 3 comments Jennifer Robinson
PHmgr1175@hotmail.com
This sounds like a book right along the lines of my genre. I'm currently writing a book and I am constantly reading to get a better perspective on true life stories. I'll be more than happy to review the book for you! I'll look for the free promotion days and review as soon as I'm finished reading. Thank you for the opportunity!

message 3: by Natasha (last edited Nov 14, 2012 07:35PM) (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Hi Amber,

Many thanks for your response. I would love a review from you. I shall be setting up a couple of Amazon free promotion days within the next week and will let you know when they are.

Yes, please feel free to contact me, either via Goodreads, or via other routes which are on my website: lesbian-crushes-and-bulimia.com/contact-me.

Thanks,
Natasha

Amber wrote:
I would love a copy of this (I have a huge interest in eating disorders) and would be interested to know if I could contact the author?"

message 4: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Hi Jennifer, That's great, thank you. I'll contact you once I've set up the promotion days (likely to be around Wednesday next week).
Natasha

Jennifer wrote: "Jennifer Robinson
PHmgr1175@hotmail.com
This sounds like a book right along the lines of my genre. I'm currently writing a book and I am constantly reading to get a better perspective on true life..."

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin van Moer (erinvanmoer) | 28 comments Is there still an available slot? elryxe@hotmail.com please epub

message 6: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 14665 comments Mod
sent in your request Erin.

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Now free to download from Amazon.
All reviewers are more than welcome :-)

Micro blurb: This is my diary from 23 years ago. Obsessive 19 year old Natasha falls in love with women, but has sex with men, behaviour which leads to an eating disorder. Described by Helena Whitbread as "a compelling read."

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) And FREE again today ...

Download from Amazon (US).
Download from Amazon (UK).

Thanks,
Natasha

message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Helena Whitbread is the editor of The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister, a wealthy lesbian landowner who lived two hundred years ago. Helena, to whom the lesbian world is indebted, has given my book this generous and exciting five star review on Goodreads:

Helena's review of Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder

message 10: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder will be free to download until Wednesday 19th September.

Download from Amazon UK.
Download from Amazon US.

Please help yourselves.
Thanks,
Natasha

message 11: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1 comments Review by Helena Whitbread
Historian and Editor of 'The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister'

As the editor of the Anne Lister journals I was amazed when I found Natasha Holmes’ book. I learned that, like Anne Lister (1791-1840), Natasha has been an obsessive diarist from her early teenage years. But the startling fact is that, again like Anne Lister, Natasha wrote in a secret code of her own devising. This marked her out, to me, as a modern-day Anne Lister. Natasha’s account of her struggle to realise her lesbian sexuality and to deal with her eating disorder makes for an interesting, honest and sometimes painful read. I contacted her and, finding that she has many more years of her diairies yet to be published, I feel that a discerning literary agent might well find it rewarding to take up the challenge of getting them published. Like Anne Lister, from whose diaries I have published two books from which two documentaries and a film have been made, Natasha’s story could, I believe, become the subject of a film. It is my belief that her work on her own life may well make her a ‘name’ in the world of lesbian writing.