Thought Provocation Society discussion

Book Choices

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Edden (StephenEdden) | 8 comments Mod
FICTION: 'The Man Who Planted Trees' by Jean Giono.
A very short, beautiful novella that quietly shows how everyone can make the world a lovelier place by sustained, small, seemingly insignificant acts of goodness.
NON-FICTION: 'Life Ascending' by Nick Lane. Explains in clear, logical steps how complex life evolved from inert chemicals (requiring at least a basic knowledge of science on the reader's part). Compelling and makes you realise how wonderful life is and why we should make the most of our time here!
Life Ascending The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution by Nick Lane The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (literbug) | 1 comments Great name, Stephen! Have you been watching those Wood Preservation Society ads? I choose a memoir (which probably makes it "embellished non-fiction"), so I'll reserve the right to another book when I've thought about it some more!
The Bookseller of Kabul (Asne Seierstad). It is an amazing insight into another culture and helped me to understand their culture better, but made me grateful, despite everything (glass ceilings and all that stuff) to be a woman living in the West. I read it a few years ago but it still comes back to haunt me.

The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad