Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

General Discussion > The Lounge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is where we can talk about whatever we want (as long as it doesn't go against the rules)! I'll get us started with a simple coversation.

What are everyone's plans for the weekend?

My boyfriend and I are going camping in Trinidad, Colorado, USA. This is actually a very being event that happens every year at this time, and there will be a lot of people there. To be honest, I'm more excited for the long car ride, where I can just sit and read or do whatever I want.

message 2: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments OOooh hope you have fun!!

My weekend equals homework homework and more homework lol

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This was a pretty fun trip. I finally got to meet my boyfriend's aunt. This is the most of his family, besides his immediate family, that I know. They all live in other states. However, I'm not liking the giant sunburn on my scalp. :( It's very painful.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Ooh, sunburns. Not pleasant.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My mom says I can use Aloe on it, so I'm hoping it goes away soon.

How was everyone else's weekend?

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Weird, because I thought that Saturday was Thursday. And nobody told me until the end of Sunday that my internal clock was two days off.

It was really confusing.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I did that last weekend. I thought Thursday was Friday, Friday was Saturday, Saturday was Sunday, and Sunday was Monday.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My boyfriend and I just went to see Brave. It was amazing! I definitely recommend it. I won't give any spoilers away, but it is totally worth it.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I saw the trailer, it looked interesting. Oh, and, random comment, I know, but I loved the CG for her red hair in the trailer:)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

If you thought her hair was cool, you should see the movie. There was a shot of the mountains, and they looked way too real! This is one of their best movies graphically. It's also just one of their best movies, in my opinion.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I want to watch it even more now!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It's completely worth it.

message 13: by Juvia (new)

Juvia (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I am taking my daughter to see Brave this weekend. She has been talking about it for weeks after she saw the trailer. She is super excited....and I would be lying if I said I was not excited too :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

You're both going to love it! It's got just the right blend of humor and seriousness. Trust me, the trailers don't live up to the actual movie. If I had the money, I'd go see it again. Alas, I have no money.

message 15: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Might watch Brave, but there are so many good movies out so I don't know.
I got sick over the week :( I had to take today off from school

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Get better, Harshini. Being sick sucks. :(

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

School's going to be starting soon! How was everyone's summer? Are you excited to be going back to school?

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments It's not gonna be much difference for me. I'm homeschooled.

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments This is my 106th comment in this group. TEE-HEE:P

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

TEE HEE always reminds me of Nigahiga. He's hilarious.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Oh yeah, I've seen some of his videos. The first one I saw was the How to be Ninja one. Really funny:)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite is the Big Bouncing Inflatable Green Ball.

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I went to see Brave today, and Wednesday, you're right! It was really good. It should win an award for Best Animated Hair or something.

Disney's animators and CG softwares are getting really, really great, very impressive, compared to the earlier stuff from, say, 10 years ago. I wonder where CG animation is going to be a few years from now? O_O

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

One of these days you're not even going to be able to tell it's CG.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Probably.

message 26: by jenny (new)

jenny I haven't seen Brave yet but I want to. I saw Paranorman last night and I was really impressed. It was made using stop-motion animation, which is a style I really like. It was made by the same studio who made Coraline.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard that Paranorman is pretty good. I think it looks pretty interesting, and I love that it uses a different animation style. Considering I read Coraline first, I wasn't as impressed with the movie, but I won't let that influence my opinion of Paranorman.

message 28: by Sinai C. (new)

Sinai C.  (sinaic) | 25 comments I'm not really a fan of 'darker' movies with zombies and whatnot, but Paranorman's stop motion? Really? Heh. I read Coraline and I thought that it was reallly good, but the movie...I think I'd be scared to no end of it. I was getting chills just from the pictures in the book. OoO!

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments The animation for Paranorman is pretty unique, it's like a cross between stop motion and CGI.

message 30: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I always wanted to read Coraline, haven't watched the movie either so..

I am finally back, these past two months have been hectic, it's been all exams! This weekend I am gonna watch that Movie Night film :) how you guys been?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't worry, I've been away too. I have had essays in all of my classes. I'm getting behind here. Sorry, guys!

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments That's what co mods are for!

message 33: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2025 comments Mod
So I added a guilty pleasures shelf... They're all manga. -_-;;;

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen, I seriously appreciate the fact that you're here. You can keep the group going when I get super busy and have to put it on the back burner.

I will put up a thread to take suggestions for the tournament here shortly. I really hope to get that going. I will also need to close the October Suggestions for both the Monthly Reads and Watches and open a poll here soon, so I will let you know if I need you to do that for me. I have two rough drafts for two essays due on the 25th, and I set the thread to close on the 23rd. I'm going to have a very busy weekend. The new challenge also opens that day, while the current challenge closes.

So, so many deadlines!

message 35: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Hope you get your work done! I have two more exams and I am free finally

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It's mine! I just picked up the Dead or Alive 5 Collector's Edition, which was released today. Now, the trick is playing it but also working on my essays. This isn't going to be easy.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't know they were putting out a dead or alive 5 collectors edition... Now I must investigate! Work on your essays then whenever you get stuck play the game for a few minutes. That's what I would do. Lol

message 38: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I would never be able to do that! I would tell myself, "I'll just play for a few minutes" and then look at the clock to see that several hours had pasted. If I don't sit down without any distractions and get everything done in one fell swoop, I will never finish.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah... Your right. Truthfully every time I have homework I have to literally leave my house or I won't do it. I blame my anime and video game addiction... I have to drive to the bookstore and sit there until I finish.

message 40: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I wouldn't be able to concentrate in a book store at all! Why do my homework when there are shelves and shelves of books that need browsing? There just as many distractions at home, though. If I have to do homework on my computer, I'm pretty much screwed. Not only is the internet right at my fingertips, but my computer desk is in the living room positioned in such a way that when you are sitting at the computer, you have a clear view of the TV. I can't win :/

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm at the bookstore so much that I don't have to constantly browse. I already own a zillion books I have not read yet. So that's why it works for me. The book store is my second home. And I don't know much about the internet... I honestly don't know what to do on it half the time.

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I really terrible with procrastinating, so if I can find an excuse not to do something, I will. I've even done household chores to avoid doing homework before. "I need to write my essay, but the dishes really need to be cleaned", that's me. If I give myself a chance to be distracted I WILL be distracted. I'm not crazy about the internet, either(I only really spend time on a handful of websites), but I will think of something to do as long as it isn't homework! I'm not a very good student :(

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

When I was in high school I never did my homework.... EVER! lol But now I pay for college so failng a class causes me to lose more money... Which means less money for books... Thats how I found my motivation.

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I'm a lot better about it than I used to be. I almost never did my homework in middle or high school(except for really important stuff like the kinds of projects that would make you fail if you didn't turn them in). I found my motivation in twelfth grade because I was kind of afraid that I wouldn't graduate(I'd also planned ahead so that all of the classes I took in twelfth grade were super easy). I went from being a C/D student to being an A/B student. I've done most of my homework in the college classes I've taken so far, but I am still pretty bad about waiting until the last minute to get things done.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. Procrastination is something I have not overcome... For instance I was watching anime the other night when I should have been studying for my exam that I had the next day. I ended up getting a B...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Procratinators unite! ...Tomorrow. I admit I'm pretty bad about it too. I alread have 30+ hours devoted to Dead or Alive and 32 of 48 achievements. But, I finised my rough draft of my English essay on time! Well, at 9:30 in the morning on Thursday, when my class started at 11:25. The final draft is due on Tuesday.... I will get it done! You know how it is when you get someting new. It's all you can think about, the other things get left unfinished or ignored.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

My class doesn't allow us to write our essays outside of class. It's very inconvienent to only have an hour and a half to write the paper.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I do have one in class essay in my English class, but the rest are done both in and out of class.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't write a good essay in class. It's really difficult for me.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm actually best at writing an essay in one sitting. If I leave and come back I lose my train of thought. I can do all the outline and preparing over time, but I have to write the essay all at once.

« previous 1 3