Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Anime > Anime or Manga?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Which do you prefer, anime or manga? Why? Do you like when manga is adapted into anime?

I personally prefer manga. I love reading more than watching shows and movies, I always thought the art in manga was more complex and beautiful, and the story lines always seem to be deeper in manga than in anime. Anime is still good, and it's fun to watch an anime in conjunction with its manga to see the differences. Although, it's easier to enjoy action scenes in anime. A lot of times I find myself spending more time focusing on the dialogue than the action when reading manga. Moving pictures were always better at portraying action.

message 2: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments I think it depends. I used to think anime was better, but now I found out I prefer reading manga only because of the voices (there are some voices that simply do not match the characters). If there is any action in the story, I prefer anime; sometimes I do not understand all that well when I am reading the manga :S

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you talking about the English dub voices, or the original Japanese voices? English dub voices never seem to match up, and I can see where Japanese high pitched voices can get annoying after a while.

message 4: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Actually I am talking about the Spanish version. Spanish animes are translated by Mexicans, and so far, they have picked pretty nice voices for all the animes I have watched.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I think I prefer anime over manga, but that's because I like my books with words only, usually. There are some exceptions, of course.

And about anime voices: I agree, sometimes they get the absolute wrong people for the English dubs. Such as Ciel in Black Butler. After the first few episodes, I decided to watch the rest of the series in Japanese with English subs.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan M | 12 comments It completely depends on the story. If it's very action-driven (such as Naruto), then I'd prefer to see it animated. But if it's a character-based story with lots of dialogue (Ouran High School Host Club, for example), I'd prefer just to read the manga.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I'm planning on reading the Ouran Highschool Host Club manga someday, because the anime was so well-done.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan M | 12 comments Definitely agree! The anime is hilarious and the manga can be a little busy at times, but I sort of liked being able to take Tamaki and Kyoya to work with me with some lunch time reading.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Tamaki is hilarious!!! Gotta be one of the most original characters I have ever seen, ever:)

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I used to think anime was better, but now I am starting to really enjoy the manga. I agree about the English voices. Sometimes it doesn't seem to sound right. Depends on the anime for me.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I just don't like anime in English at all. The lip syncing, most of the time, comes off as awkward, and they always pronounce things wrong. Plus, things do get lost in translation, since they have to focus so much on lip syncing.

message 12: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I hate that part too, some dubs in the US are just terrible the Asian dubs are way better!

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I think that I prefer manga because of the pacing. Manga stories go so much faster than they do in the anime. For example, Sailor Moon season one is about 17 hours long. It's roughly 2 volumes of manga, which would take me about an hour to read.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

That is true. 3 or 4 episodes of an anime equals one volume of manga.

message 15: by jenny (new)

jenny For shoujo I prefer manga but for action/shonen I like anime because it's easier to understand what is happening during fight scenes.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Jee Jee. I also think that music-based anime is better than manga because you can actually hear the music, rather than just being told what is being played, with some notes flying in the air. I definitely prefer the La Corda d'Oro anime over the manga.

message 17: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yeah too bad they aren't continuing the anime. In order to kow how the story ends I am planning on reading the manga

message 18: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments It depends. The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 1 is far better as the anime. They really redesigned it, right down to character designs. I also think Mushi-shi does better as an Anime because it's about mood, and anime does mood better.

Sometimes the only manga you get are tie-ins.Brigadoon, Vol. 1 is only two volumes of a 26 episode anime series. I read it first and liked it, and found the series was so much longer.

Usually though, the manga is better. Too many anime series can only cover a fraction of the manga, anyways.

message 19: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm (kpriya) I prefer manga mostly because I can save the pics later ;-) But I liked anime of La Corda rather than manga. Pokemon probably would have been boring as a manga!

message 20: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I like manga better because usually the anime doesn't make the story as long as it is in the manga.

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Bookworm wrote: "I prefer manga mostly because I can save the pics later ;-) But I liked anime of La Corda rather than manga. Pokemon probably would have been boring as a manga!"

Pokemon is GREAT as a manga. I've only read one volume so far, but it was waaaaaaaay better than the show.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

One thing that bothers me about the Pokemon anime is that the English dub was edited way too much. I mean seriously, Brock calls the onigiri (rice balls) doughnuts! They also actually edited some of the art within the show, as well as the music. I've heard the newer seasons aren't too bad, but the first seasons were horrible.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments It's all 4Kids' fault. They ruined Sailor Moon, too.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. They have a pretty bad reputation when it comes to anime dubs. I think that's part of why I don't like dubs. I want to see the original, unedited episodes. I hate when episodes get left out, too.

message 25: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
For me, it all depends on the anime or manga. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

About the only ones that I'm polar on are...

Princess Tutu's anime rocks while the manga stinks
Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicle's manga was amazing while the anime was painful at times (especially the dub. T_T)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

That's how I am. I liked the Skip Beat manga better than the anime (granted, I've only seen one episode, but Kyoko was too enegertic and screamed too much, more than in the manga).

message 27: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments So far I did not find a good voice for girls in anime, they are most of the time too high-pitched (except Haruhi's voice). For boys, there are several I found very good, like the two boys of Death Note for example. I have watched only one episode of an anime in English dub (CCS)... and that was awful... the voices were too exaggerated IMO.

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments That's true. It's so common for female characters in anime to sound screechy. I'm usually fine with male characters, though. But English dubs are definitely the worst. If you think the Japanese voices are high pitched, just wait until you hear the English version.

message 29: by Selena (new)

The reason for the high-pitched voices in anime is because high-pitched voices are considered "cute." It's a bit like how American women up the pitch when they talk to babies or small kittens. lol

There are some good dubs. I actually prefer the dub for Romeo x Juliet to the sub. And Fruits Basket has been voted, "Best Dub Ever" multiple times in multiple anime magazines.

English doesn't always do high pitched. Depends on the English director and the anime. Usually they're not too good.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Part of the problem I have with dubs is that sometimes they are a little over-the-top dramatic. It just seems unnatural. However, it's not always about the voices. I don't like how a lot of dubbed anime gets edited. There are some good dubs out there, like the Spirited Away dub, but overall I prefer subs.

message 31: by Selena (new)

Disney does a good job on dubs, but that's because they work closely with Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli on these things (I'll have to tell you guys the "no cuts" story later...).

I'm gonna start up a "dub vs sub" thread, since this is anime vs manga. ;)

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Selena wrote: "Disney does a good job on dubs, but that's because they work closely with Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli on these things (I'll have to tell you guys the "no cuts" story later...).

I'm gonna start up a..."

Lol. I just said that I don't like the Disney dubs in the Sub vs. Dub thread. Maybe I should have read this before I said that :)

message 33: by Alice (new)

Alice (littlemzrainbowz) | 7 comments I prefer manga only because I can take it with me anywhere.... (no internet required) However if I could do that with anime it would be a close race. But manga would always win. The beauty of the artwork.... IS incredible.... and you know you are getting the CORRECT storyline because it comes straight from the author.

message 34: by Selena (last edited Sep 09, 2012 06:46AM) (new)

Alice wrote: "you know you are getting the CORRECT storyline because it comes straight from the author. "

Not always. While it's true most anime are based off a manga, some manga are actually created after the anime (much like some books are novelizations of the movie). Princess Tutu and Romeo x Juliet were anime first and manga-versions were created later. There are also cases of video games being turned into manga and then anime, in which case, the game is the original, not the manga.

message 35: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments Sometimes the original story isnt even that hot. Negima?! for example started out like love hina but turned into a shonen like Bleach in that it never seems to end. Manga, especially shonen jump style, can fall prey to bad planning.

message 36: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments D.M. wrote: "Sometimes the original story isnt even that hot. Negima?! for example started out like love hina but turned into a shonen like Bleach in that it never seems to end. Manga, especially shonen jump style, can fall prey to bad planning."

That's true. So many manga just never seem to end and the ones that do tend to leave me unsatisfied. Often times you tell at which point the mangaka was told that the series was being cancelled because everything either feels rushed or does a complete 180. But of course, the anime that are based on manga have the same issues.

message 37: by Selena (new)

^ Yup yup. I try not to get into the never-ending series, but a few I'm following still have no ending in site... :(

message 38: by Alice (new)

Alice (littlemzrainbowz) | 7 comments to all you guys: You all have excelent points but I find most of the time the manga is the right and better story... however the anime is almost always good

message 39: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 37 comments I'm also more inclined towards manga since mangas generally have more scope for story and character development. But for some mangas such as the Detective Conan, Tantei Gakuen Q and Hell girl, I liked their anime versions more.

message 40: by Fangirl Musings (last edited Apr 23, 2014 11:12AM) (new)

Fangirl Musings (fangirlmusings) | 20 comments I prefer both, LOL.

To me, a story is simply a narrative, be that in a book or animated format. Each format offers its own positive and negative realities, and to compare them in a "this or that" choice feels a lot like comparing apples to oranges.

Then again, I always struggle with the idea of superiority. In my opinion, those who argue the show is better than the book/the book is better than the show (The Walking Dead and A Song Of Ice and Fire being two most main stream examples of this topic) seems a bit too narrowly viewed. Both bring different entertainment aspects to the table, and both can be just as valuable or enjoyable just in different perspectives.

But, that's just my opinion, and I have no clue if any of that made the least bit of sense, LOL.

message 41: by Selena (new)

Dee Dee wrote: "I prefer manga, since it's the original story"

It's usually the original story, but not always. There are many manga based on games (Suikoden III: The Successor of Fate), or where the anime came first (Princess Tu Tu).

I normally prefer manga, though, simply because it's easier to carry around with me and read anywhere.

I'm with Jacqueline on the stories themselves. Very good argument. :)

message 42: by Fangirl Musings (new)

Fangirl Musings (fangirlmusings) | 20 comments Thanks Selena! :) Glad to know I at least made SOME sense in that rambly mess, LOL.

message 43: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1 comments I agree! I started reading the manga and it's awesome! I like it better than the show

message 44: by Kageyama (new)

Kageyama Tobio (kageyamatobio) | 16 comments I prefer manga, but some anime are better than the manga.
Sometimes anime excludes important details from the manga and ultimately, the drawings in manga are better than the animations in anime. I really appreciate good art.

message 45: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments Himuro wrote: "I prefer manga, but some anime are better than the manga.
Sometimes anime excludes important details from the manga and ultimately, the drawings in manga are better than the animations in anime. I ..."

It bothers me when they leave out important details from the manga. Sometimes they have the same details from the manga and they move them around in the story line. I dislike when they do that....why would they not leave it the same?

message 46: by Selena (new)

^ I know in the case of the D.Gray-Man anime, they shifted timelines so they could fit the events of the light novels into the events of the series. The novels take place before the manga (and thus the anime) take place, so some timelines were adjusted to fit it in.

They also look at the amount of time they have to work with and sometimes it's just a matter of what's less confusing. Black Cat, for example, abandons the interspersed flashbacks of the manga to just start the series with important events involving Saya and shrinks the timeline to keep the story moving.

message 47: by — Massiel [taking a break] (last edited Aug 26, 2014 04:18PM) (new)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 21 comments I prefer manga, when I starts to see a anime I get bored, and makes me more longer to see the anime them to read the manga. When I read the manga, I fell so alive and more emotional them when I saw anime.

Because of that I prefer to read the manga, and also because on the manga is explain more and have more details than the anime and things.

message 48: by Voldemort (new)

Voldemort (aeternumlux) It really depends. Slam Dunk manga is a classic but the animation got long and boring though I loved Kuroko no Basuke's anime (both seasons).

message 49: by Nina (new)

Nina (NinaC1) | 18 comments oh no...i cant decide! i love them at the same percent!
manga or anime?
BOTH!