Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Announcements

Comments Showing 1-50 of 414 (414 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Ancestral Celt has stepped down as Group Moderator, but hopefully will still remain a member. Thanks for keeping the group alive for us all, Ancestral.

So... Please welcome Jeanette as new Group Moderator - Gina and I are so happy she agreed to join us. Three feels just right, and it is a magic number.

Nell :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great to have you as co-mod, Jeanette! Three is essential in my mind (0)

message 3: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina Thanks ladies :-D I'll do my best to just be around and help out and keep the flow.
This is a really nice group to be part of with so many interesting points of view.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay Jeanette!

Dish Wanderer  (philologistatwork) | 45 comments Cheers Jeanette :)

message 7: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Congratulations Jeanette. I was really only a caretaker until other, more enthusiastic and inspirational souls came along.

It's great to see this group thriving; long may it live. :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ancestral, can you add Jeanette as an administrator on our facebook page too? I'm notoriously fickle about my facebook updates, it would be nice to know that there is someone else onboard there too. O.K with you Jeanette? Nell you aren't on facebook are you?

message 9: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments No Gina, I'm not on facebook.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I can tell what you think of facebook through your reply, Nell :) I am a recluse, it's been the only way I've managed to keep up with old friends, lots of fellow artists (I get to see their new work as they produce it), that sort of thing. Oh, and relatives in Germany and NZ that I wouldn't have much contact with otherwise (not through lack of love). In that way facebook is good. Kind of icky, but good. :)

message 11: by Dish Wanderer (new)

Dish Wanderer  (philologistatwork) | 45 comments Georgina wrote: "I can tell what you think of facebook through your reply, Nell :) I am a recluse, it's been the only way I've managed to keep up with old friends, lots of fellow artists (I get to see their new wo..."

I agree with both of you - Nell and Georgina. I don't like ' Facebook' either but I am on it for the same reasons that Georgina elucidated for us. However, the point of me saying all this is can you send me a link to the page so that I can add myself there as well? Thank you :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

message 13: by Dish Wanderer (new)

Dish Wanderer  (philologistatwork) | 45 comments Thanks Georgina :) You are so kind!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

A pleasure. :)

message 15: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I'm not against facebook, it's just that life's too short to get involved in anything else if I want to have time to experience it and create things.

I walked behind a girl the other week - she was talking on her mobile. "No," she said, "I came home for lunch but spent the whole time on facebook and haven't had anything yet."

So I resist...

:)

message 16: by Dish Wanderer (new)

Dish Wanderer  (philologistatwork) | 45 comments Georgina wrote: "A pleasure. :)"
Georgina <3

message 17: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Georgina wrote: "Ancestral, can you add Jeanette as an administrator on our facebook page too? "

Sorry, but I am no longer an admin on the Facebook page (deactivated I saw this message) so cannot oblige. :(

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Nell wrote: "I'm not against facebook, it's just that life's too short to get involved in anything else if I want to have time to experience it and create things.

I walked behind a girl the other week - she wa..."

Absolutely! I drop into facebook from time to time, just to keep in touch with my friends. My own page is thick with cobwebs. GR is my only time on the net other than that, and I've cut down my groups so I'm only involved with those I really enjoy. I need writing time. That's why I'd love a hand with the groups' page from someone.

So I'll wait to hear what Jeanette says about me making her co-administrator for the page, and if not, then I'll be asking some readers in the group for help. I think our groups' page is great, we are getting new likes daily. I just don't care for facebook enough to want to keep the page updated by myself.

message 19: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Just to say that today our membership stands at 666. Cause for celebration or a group spell for protection...?

Nell ;)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Nah, any bias against that number is due to the Christian demonologists. Let's celebrate.:)

message 21: by Dish Wanderer (new)

Dish Wanderer  (philologistatwork) | 45 comments I agree with Georgina :) It is all in the mind ! But there is no harm in prevention Nell :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

message 23: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Georgina wrote: "The God of the Witches"

Arghhh! Not Murray! Flawed...and seem to remember that she argues that picts and pixies are the same thing.

message 24: by Nell (last edited Jun 18, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I blame John of Patmos...

message 25: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Georgina wrote: "The God of the Witches"

Arghhh! Not Murray! Flawed...and seem to remember that she argues that picts and pixies are the same thing."

Just wait and see what Daniel Pinchbeck says about pixies in our next group read, Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism.

message 26: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I think we should celebrate, and raise a glass of something to 'yon auld beastie' too, may the gods rest his mischievious soul...:)

message 27: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Chamomile tea :)

message 28: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Nell wrote: "Just wait and see what Daniel Pinchbeck says about pixies in our next group read, Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism..."

Let me guess: sprites seen after a 7% solution of 'shroom tea?
But it was her dismissive attitude to pictish folk I had issues with. Equating a historical people with "the wee folk" was nonsense.
As I note above though this particular bugbear of mine may not have been Murray, think it was though...anyone shed light on it?

Re the 666...nice.

message 29: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Nell wrote: "Chamomile tea :)"

Absinthe?

message 30: by Nell (last edited Jun 18, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Nell wrote: "Just wait and see what Daniel Pinchbeck says about pixies in our next group read, Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism..."

Let me guess..."

The author, Daniel Pinchbeck, seems to have come to the conclusion (after much experimentation and investigation) that partakers of particular specific substances see the same substance-specific images.

I can't remember what he'd taken when he saw the green pixies (he was embarrassed about having to write up this experience), but it occurred to me that perhaps ergot or something similar could be responsible for this particular archetype in our stories and folk tales.

I can't remember if the pixies/picts confusion was in Murray's book or another.

message 31: by Nell (last edited Jun 18, 2012 07:57AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Absinthe? Good choice, but maybe not for me - I'll stick with the chamomile, chosen to tease YAB rather than anything else :)

message 32: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments That's not to say that they don't exist (pixies), just that certain substances might allow folks to see them...

At least, this is what Daniel seems to think.

message 33: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Nell wrote: "Absinthe? Good choice, but maybe not for me - I'll stick with the chamomile, chosen to tease YAB rather than anything else :)"

Could go with the blood of virgins...live up to the stereotype and all that...but where do you find one these days?
Will do it symbolically with this:
http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/beer...
I'm sure the laird would get it...
;)

message 34: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Fresh oysters...?! I think he'd get it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed Murray's book is supremely flawed. Book title used to raise the idea that no protection spell is needed for the 666. The demonologists have a lot to answer for, and of course Disney.

Green Pixies? Mushroom tea? This sounds like an interesting group read.

I've just had a quick flip through Murray's book, there seems to be many references to fairies, but not pixies.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Nell just reminded me that the July note to members is due out. (Yes, I'm habitually late :)) I'll work on it this morning and send it out this afternoon. My apologies in advance, it won't be as lovely as Nell's June letter. I'm caught up in several tasks at the moment, so it will be brief...

message 37: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Brief is fine, Gina, and thanks for the lovely words:)

message 38: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments It was waiting in my inbox as I wrote the above - neither a word too little nor too many - just perfect:)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Nell :) I've had a trying day, but as usual I find kindness and understanding in this group. I was going to mention the waxing and the waning of the year, and I did not mention the June/July reads...

message 40: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments It's OK, you've reminded us here. Hope your day improves - remember the Now. :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, I needed that! The Now is actually pretty good, if I shake off the past and ignore my fears of the future. I shall enjoy. :):)

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara I just wanted to add my thanks to Ancestral for keeping this group moving forward. And to welcome Jeanette as our third moderator.

I'm with Nell regarding Facebook; not a member so I can't be of any help.

Being in the US, I'm celebrating the Fourth of July today. I wish all my fellow Americans a glorious and safe holiday.

message 43: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Yes, a happy Fourth of July to all our US members.

message 44: by Dish Wanderer (new)

Dish Wanderer  (philologistatwork) | 45 comments Happy Fourth of July to all our U.S friends here :)

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Diamond | 8 comments thanks to the holiday wishers - it is nice to have an extra day to kick back with a book :)

message 46: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I've just noticed that we now have 700 members - a warm welcome to all newbies :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, welcome to all :) (Late in noticing the post again--typical Gina, when are you going to check your notifications?)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

703 now.

message 49: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Just to say that I probably won't be around much for a few days - 6 family peeps arriving tomorrow. Help...!

message 50: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina Oh my, have courage Nell :-D
I'll try to be more active next week since I got plenty of time on my hands right now.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9