Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Summer 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 851 (851 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3641 comments For fans of Davina Porter and/or M. C. Beaton, I'm enjoying Lady Fortescue Steps Out: Being the First Vol. of the Poor Relation more than I thought I would. DEFINITELY better as an audiobook than it'd be in print as Davina's knocking it out of the ballpark in giving a voice to each character.

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments John, even before the 20th! Thanks! It just feels right with a summer thread.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments I wish it felt like summer here, it rained all day yesterday

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Dee, the weather is cold and terrible here too, but the birds think it is summer...... It has got to come eventually.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments it was hot this weekend, so i guess it'll come...they are saying 80ish today

message 6: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T | 0 comments Today I finished Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James. I really enjoyed this book and I loved how this trilogy ended. 5 Stars!

I am now starting Jack & Jill by James Patterson and The Good Father: A Novel by Noah Hawley

message 7: by D.G. (last edited Jun 13, 2012 05:53AM) (new)

D.G. Dee wrote: "I wish it felt like summer here, it rained all day yesterday"

Word!

I stayed up half the night listening to the audio of No Rest for the Wicked. I'm a romance reader who usually don't listen to romance in audio (I giggle a lot) but I've heard so many good things about this narration that I decided to give it a go. And it's sooo good! The narrator is a guy and the men sound really sexy!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments John wrote: "For fans of Davina Porter and/or M. C. Beaton, I'm enjoying Lady Fortescue Steps Out: Being the First Vol. of the Poor Relation more than I thought I would. DEFINITELY better as an audiobook than i..."

I read all of Marion Chesney's (MC Beaton) regency romances in college and HIGHLY enjoyed them in print. I think the audiobook would be even better though :) The prudish side of me likes that they aren't full smut like a lot of the other regency romances.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth A (kisiwa) | 26 comments Just finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I alternated between being mesmerized and incredibly annoyed while reading this book. I listened to the audio version, which was wonderfully narrated by Bernadette Dunne. On the plus side I walked about 30 miles while listening. If your idea of camping is a motel room with the windows open, you might find this a more fascinating read. If you are outdoors person, not so much. I give it 2.5 stars which rounds up to 3.

message 10: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1960 comments Well Everneath wasn't for me the narration was good but I guess I am over the whole YA Paranormal romance with a love triangle.

So now I am giving Revolver by, Marcus Sedgewick narrated by new to be Peter Berkrot

message 11: by Shelli (new)

Shelli | 66 comments I just finished The End of the Affair narrated by Colin Firth and I loved it!

message 12: by Jess (last edited Jun 13, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

Jess (jessmonster) MissSusie wrote: So now I am giving Revolver by, Marcus Sedgewick narrated by new to..."

Totally suspenseful! I'd be curious to hear how it worked on audio.

I'm halfway through Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox - she reads it herself with characteristic zest. I'm also slowwwwly making my way through A Storm of Swords - I'm in part 3 of 6 from Audible, after a month of listening while I cook and exercise.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments I loved Mem Fox growing up - I think I have possum magic somewhere on CD

message 14: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments John wrote: "For fans of Davina Porter and/or M. C. Beaton, I'm enjoying Lady Fortescue Steps Out: Being the First Vol. of the Poor Relation more than I thought I would. DEFINITELY better as an audiobook than i..."

I'm a BIG Davina Porter fan...I'll admit to reading the Outlander series. I did however stop because Davina Porter's version were not available through Audible because of some sort of contractual agreement. I waited it out because I could not imagine those characters in any other voice -- even mine.

Happily, Audible now has Fiery Cross available, and so I'm am just beginning that 56 hour journey.

message 15: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Grumpus wrote: "Happily, Audible now has Fiery Cross available, and so I'm am just beginning that 56 hour journey"

I listened to that one at the beginning of the year and it has some slow parts (I really think she needed some tighter editing) but as usual with these books some action was really exciting.

message 16: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "Dee wrote: "I wish it felt like summer here, it rained all day yesterday"

Word!"

Me, three.

I've read a bunch of Marion Chesney's (aka M.C. Beaton) School for Manners series (also Regency romance) and they are just hilarious. Love them.

message 17: by Bxrlover (new)

Bxrlover | 109 comments I gave up on The Double Bind when I was about 85% done. I can't believe that this is the same author that wrote Skeletons at the Feast

message 18: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T | 0 comments Today I finished Jack & Jill by James Patterson. Another good suspense novel in this series. 4 stars!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments I recently went on vacation and decided to listen to two of my favorite Ray Bradbury books (coincidentally, this was about two weeks before he passed): Something Wicked This Way Comes and Dandelion Wine. I downloaded them from the library. It turns out both were full-cast acted interpretations, not a straight narration of the book. I just could not get into them! It was confusing and, with someone as brilliant as Bradbury, I wanted to read what he wrote, not someone's interpretation.

I finally found a narrated version of Something Wicked at another library and have since downloaded it and am enjoying it.

Has anyone else had this experience? I was disappointed as it left me with no audiobooks for my vacation. Luckily I was reading an excellent book and wound up getting through 800 of 950 pages!

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I'm the same, Jessica. I hated those full cast narrations!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 58 comments I have been listening to a lot of young adult audio books lately. This month and last have included Peter Pan narrated by Jim Dale, Eragon, Feed by MT Anderson, The Outsiders, Lola and the Boy Next Door and I am currently listening to 3 right now:
Seth Baumgartner’s Love Manifesto (on CD)
Blood and Chocolate (iPod)
Burned (Sansa Clip)

I think I have and audiobook addiction lol. My favorite I think was Lola. I loved the characters so much and some are from Anna and the French Kiss which made me happy. :)

message 22: by Mejix (last edited Jun 14, 2012 09:59PM) (new)

Mejix | 112 comments Currently listening to Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem. This is one book that I think was improved by the reader. No big histrionics. He just has a very pleasant voice and his interpretation of the text seems to me very appropriate.

message 23: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 10:35PM) (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "I'm the same, Jessica. I hated those full cast narrations!"

What is a full cast narration? Is it when the dialog in the book has different narrators for different characters or is it like a dramatization of the book? I just finished The 19th Wife. That had several narrators too. I thought this would make it easier to distinguish the players. It didn't, but maybe the book just had too much going on in it.

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 265 comments I am just finishing The Language of Flowers. I have loved it.

Picking up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the library today. Not a book I would have probably picked on my own. Love this thread for getting me to try new books!

message 25: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Today I finished the audiobookScribbling The Cat
My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I absolutely ADORED it.

I think I will start the audiobook Skeletons at the Feast. I want to try the author Chris Bohjalian. So many of you have praised this author.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments I don't typically listen to romance audiobooks even though I read them lots (mostly because it never fails i'll be at a really spicy spot either as I am going through the security gate at work, or if someone comes by my cubical)...but I'm trying to finish up an audiobook challenge in another group, so i'm listening to Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - so far (i'm about 2 hours in), i'm liking her other series better, I'm not laughing as much with this one

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments Nancyboat wrote: "I am just finishing The Language of Flowers. I have loved it.

Picking up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the library today. Not a book I would have probably picked on my own. Love thi..."

Hitchhiker's Guide was the very first audiobook I ever listened to, on cassette during college. I loved it! Hope you enjoy it.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Chrissie wrote: "D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "I'm the same, Jessica. I hated those full cast narrations!"

What is a full cast narration? Is it when the dialog in the book has different narrators for different ch..."

It is different actors playing parts instead of just one narrator. There has been several Full Cast productions I loved.

message 29: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Heidi, thanks for explaining that to me. I think that is what The 19th Wife audible audiobook uses. It had several narrators but I still think some narrators had to speak for more than one character. The book is kind of complicated.

message 30: by D.G. (last edited Jun 16, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

D.G. Heidi wrote: "It is different actors playing parts instead of just one narrator. There has been several Full Cast productions I loved. "

No, that's not the ones I mean (maybe I just used the wrong terms.) I meant those audiobooks that are really adaptations of the book in which they use a full cast to portray different characters. They are usually shorter because somebody almost converts them to a play.

I don't have a problem with different actors reading the book if they are faithfully following the book.

message 31: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments D.G. ~Captain Hussy~ wrote: "I meant those audiobooks that are really adaptations of the book"

This is one of my pet peeves: Audiobooks pretending to be books that are not books at all but are really adaptations. I don't have a fundamental problem with adaptations of books into movies, TV shows, mini-series, musicals or radio/audio plays. Just don't do it and call it a book.

I'm not a big fan of semi-dramatized (aka full cast narration) audiobooks, but that's more a preference than finding something wrong in it. I think people like them for children's books.

message 32: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T | 0 comments Today I finished The Good Father: A Novel by Noah Hawley. I really enjoyed this heart wrenching story of one father who totally believes in his son. I gave this book 4.5 stars!

I am now starting The Dressmaker: A Novel by Kate Alcott

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 61 comments Jessica wrote: "I recently went on vacation and decided to listen to two of my favorite Ray Bradbury books (coincidentally, this was about two weeks before he passed): Something Wicked This Way Comes and Dandelion..."

Yes, I also got them from my library and found out they were cast or adapted versions. Hate those. Good to know there are narrator read audiobooks of his work.

message 34: by Janice (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 946 comments I started listening to Pompeii and it's just not grabbing my attention. I may have to abandon it. I'll give it a bit longer.

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 50 comments Janice wrote: "I started listening to Pompeii and it's just not grabbing my attention. I may have to abandon it. I'll give it a bit longer."

I listened to it a couple of years ago. It was good, but not great. It got better as it went along, and the descriptions of the slowly building destruction were interesting.

message 36: by Robert (new)

Robert Fass (robert_fass) | 33 comments Jessica wrote: "I recently went on vacation and decided to listen to two of my favorite Ray Bradbury books (coincidentally, this was about two weeks before he passed): Something Wicked This Way Comes and Dandelion..."
Hi Jessica,
There are two solo narrations of Dandelion Wine out there, one by Stephen Hoye and the other by Paul Michael Garcia, each recorded in the last couple of years. It was my pleasure to narrate the sequel to Dandelion Wine, entitled FAREWELL, SUMMER. It's slighter than Dandelion Wine (Bradbury wrote it over a 50-year period!), but it's Bradbury nonetheless and full of wonderful fantasy. I hope you'll add that to your summer reading list... I guess the end of the season would be most appropriate!

message 37: by Bxrlover (new)

Bxrlover | 109 comments Chrissie wrote: "Today I finished the audiobookScribbling The Cat
My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I absolutely ADORED it.

I think I will start the audiobook Skeletons at the Feast. I wa..."

Although I didn't much enjoy
Scribbling The Cat I really loved Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by the same author. Have you read that one?

I tried and gave up on Traveling With Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story and am now listening to The Lacuna

message 38: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Bxrlover, did you think Scribbling The Cat was too heart-wrenching? Some of the war events were definitely "difficult" to read. Didn't you relate to the humor? Hmmm, nobody reacts the same! I loved Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. Is it because that was was about her youth that you liked it more? I also loved Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness. It is so strange that I love everything I have read by her. This is NOT typical of me.

message 39: by Bxrlover (new)

Bxrlover | 109 comments Chrissie, here is my old review of Scribbling The Cat:

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure what we are to make of this story. I wish that Fuller had more clearly stated what her intent was for writing it. I suspect it is her attempt to make sense of growing up amidst a senseless war, but there is not enough of her own thoughts woven throughout the story to say for sure.

I found all of her subjects to be boorish, narcissistic, self important braggarts without any endearing qualities, although I feel that Fuller wants us to feel some empathy for "K".

Although the writing itself is wonderful, all in all, I much prefer her Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.

Top notch narration!"

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Bxrlover wrote: "Chrissie, here is my old review of Scribbling The Cat:

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure what we are to make of this story. I wish that Fuller had more clearly stated what her intent was for writing it. I..."

Bxrlover, I just didn't relate at all as you have done. The fundamental question was of course how one gets beyond living through the absurdities of war. If people can do such terrible things to each other how can one like people at all any more..... How do you forgive humanity? And she was as guilty as he was in expecting something from that trip. They both expected something that the other was not willing to give. Their expectations were different. But they got beyond that, both of them did!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments D.G. ~Captain Hussy~ wrote: "Heidi wrote: "It is different actors playing parts instead of just one narrator. There has been several Full Cast productions I loved. "

No, that's not the ones I mean (maybe I just used the wron..."

This is the full cast that I like http://www.fullcastaudio.com/tek9.asp...

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Nancyboat wrote: "I am just finishing The Language of Flowers. I have loved it.

Picking up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the library today. Not a book I would have probably picked on my own. Love thi..."

The audio book of Hitchhiker's Guide may get my vote for the best recorded book ever. Have fun! Stephen Fry is amazing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry

message 43: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I'm listening to Slaughterhouse-Five, narrated by Ethan Hawke and I don't think I'm getting this book. The narration is good but I've had to speed it up just because I want to get done with the book.

At least it's short (less than 6 hrs.)

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments Robert wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I recently went on vacation and decided to listen to two of my favorite Ray Bradbury books (coincidentally, this was about two weeks before he passed): Something Wicked This Way Com..."

Wonderful, thanks for the recommendation! Dandelion Wine is one of my all-time favorite books. I will absolutely look into Farewell, Summer.

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments Regan wrote: "D.G. ~Captain Hussy~ wrote: "I meant those audiobooks that are really adaptations of the book"

This is one of my pet peeves: Audiobooks pretending to be books that are not books at all but are rea..."

It's the difference between reading the book itself and watching a play or movie of a book. It's adapted and I'm sure it can be done well. It's just my preference that when I listen to a book I want to listen to what the author wrote exactly, not a dramatized adaptation.

I have listened to books narrated by more than one person (Guernsey Literary Society comes to mind) and am fine with that because, again, they still are true to the words of the author.

I think it's just a personal preference and maybe some of the book geek in me. :)

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments I just finished listening to Seriously...I'm Kidding - Ellen DeGeneres (narrated by herself) - I was never really a fan of her talk show, but I did like her in the various sitcom's I watched...the book was rather entertaining and I like how she adapted chapters to the audiobook lister

I started Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself - written and narrated by Alan Alda - its interesting so far - he is talking about the speech that he gave at his daughter's graduation and how previous events led to what he said - from the reviews that I read - this seems to be the theme of the whole book

message 47: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ferguson (ruthdfw) | 93 comments Jessica wrote: "Regan wrote: "D.G. ~Captain Hussy~ wrote: "I meant those audiobooks that are really adaptations of the book"

This is one of my pet peeves: Audiobooks pretending to be books that are not books at a..."

One key example of the benefits of the other approach is the Harry Potter experience. I enjoyed all three forms of those books: the book, audio, and movies

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments Ruth wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Regan wrote: "D.G. ~Captain Hussy~ wrote: "I meant those audiobooks that are really adaptations of the book"

This is one of my pet peeves: Audiobooks pretending to be books that ar..."

I did too! The audiobooks read by Jim Dale are awesome!

message 49: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments Jessica wrote: "I think it's just a personal preference and maybe some of the book geek in me. :)"

I don't think this is a personal preference issue. I think it's false advertising to say it's a book when it's an adaptation. Imagine ordering a printed book from Amazon and having someone send you the movie instead. It might be a good movie, but it's not a book!

I do order the occasional radio play intentionally, but because that's what I want, not because I think I'm going to read a book.

As for the full-cast, semi-dramatized, non-adaptations, which contain, word-for-word, exactly what the author wrote, that's certainly a personal preference. Some people like them, some not, but it's really the book.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (clovous) | 4 comments I recently finished Cinder and The Immortal Rules. Both had amazing narrators and the story kept me on my toes!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.