Heat Heat discussion

Sharing this book

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronda (new)

Ronda Having not read this one yet, I am looking at how my students are reacting to the book--from the initial intro using the VSBA slideshow to talking with them as they turn the title in. Today, one of my 5th grade boys turned this one in and I was able to chat with him for a minute. He said that the book started out "kinda slow" but definitely got better as it went along. I asked if he liked it overall and he said that he did. I'll be curious to hear other comments as more start to read it.

Dominic I read about 3 chapters of this book and it is a good story with great context. Though my only problem is that Mike Lupica (the author) always has the same storyline.

Curtis Powell This book was a good book. I think that more people should read this book. I give this book five stars. I really like the characters in this book. It talks about baseball. One of the characters names was Micheal. He was a pitcher for his travel baseball team. This other character named justin was accusing Michealbecause Micheal was a really good pitcher, and that micheal's team had beaten justin's team in a baseball game.Justin was accusing Micheal that he was over the age limit to play in the league.

Curtis Powell Curtis wrote: "This book was a good book. I think that more people should read this book. I give this book five stars. I really like the characters in this book. It talks about baseball. One of the characters nam..."

Dominic wrote: "I read about 3 chapters of this book and it is a good story with great context. Though my only problem is that Mike Lupica (the author) always has the same storyline."

I agree. Mike Lupica's books always talks about sports. Why can't he talk about something different? So other people can read more of his books.People can be more interesting in not only reading sports books,but other genres too.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Heat before I knew much about characterization or other aspects of writing, so I loved it. However, when my knowledge of writing had deepened and I looked back on it, I found many flaws and lowered my rating.

The book is not bad, though--I would not discourage you from reading it to your students or recommending it to them. Heat even teaches some decent lessons and has an enjoyable character or two. It just isn't terribly original.