The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Game of Thrones TV Series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hai (new)

Hai (angelslayer) Ok, so I've read the first book of this series, and I keep hearing how awesome the show is, but I don't want to spoil any part of the book.

So my question is, would it be safe to assume that season 1 of Game of Thrones takes place in book 1? or does it also cover other books. should I just wait until I finish reading all these other books before watching?

arg! there's all these cultural references that I don't get, but stuff like "Ack! I know that guy's Tyrion, but I don't know how it relates to that joke you're making!"

message 2: by meaghs (new)

meaghs | 33 comments yes it'd be safe, season one seemed to correlate to book one in the series. - M.

message 3: by Hai (last edited Jun 12, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Hai (angelslayer) ack, thank you!

no doubt i'll be back here within a fortnight to complain about how horribly slow my reading is and try to calculate exactly how many episodes I can watch of season 2 before I curse myself for spoiling the book.

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Hai wrote: "ack, thank you!

no doubt i'll be back here within a fortnight to complain about how horribly slow my reading is and try to calculate exactly how many episodes I can watch of season 2 before I curs..."

I would suggest not moving on with the series until you have completely finished the book.

message 5: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments The first two seasons roughly correspond to the first two books. Seasons three and on though will start to diverge as at this point some characters take extended vacations during the books which would be problematic when dealing with actors (they need to work and might not come back after a season off). So apparently they are going to intermix books three and four into the next few seasons.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark (beyondwords_uk) | 8 comments There are definately some scenes from book 3 in season 2. I am about 200 pages into book 3 and having just watched the last episode of season 2 feel a bit annoyed with myself for not finishing book 3 sooner. The tv show doesn't follow these parts word for word but I would recommend reading the books first.

message 7: by Julio (new)

Julio (madth3) Funny, I bought the first four books for Kindle (great deal!) after reading a sample but I've been waiting to watch the TV series first.

message 8: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapo0h...

the best parody of games of throne so far

message 9: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments I read the first book right after I completed watching first season and I noticed there are several scenes and character developements in the first season that we don't see in the first book. When I first read it, I thought that was just some creative additions by the script writers. Then, after reading the other books, I realized those scenes were written by GRRM as flashbacks and those characters were true to GRRM's image, he just did not reveal their qualities in the first book, or did not underline them. These are not major reveals (and there are some real changes made by script writers also) but you might still count those as spoilers. One can not be too careful. ;)

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Kamil wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapo0h...

the best parody of games of throne so far"

It's dead on about Mad Men.