Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > The Summer of Jane

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments Hi,
I decided to make this thread because I heard a couple of people mention they were doing the same thing I was this summer and doing a 'Summer of Jane'.

So lets discuss our process, our order, how things are going,etc.?

What is everybody including in their Summer?

I have decided to include Jane Austen's works (I plan to include Lady Susan as the complete works I got has it in it), as many movie versions as possible, and modern re-tellings and maybe a few sequels (not sure on the sequels yet, I have some on my kindle and will decide as I go).

So what is everyone else planning?

How far are you so far?

I started on P&P but was distracted because I had been in the middle of another book and paused on it to start, and am being hounded to finish it by someone. So I decided to go back and finish that book then restart on P&P in the meantime I have watched -
The 2005 Pride & Prejudice
and a bit of the 1995, but someone burned it for me on a disc that breaks it up into six - one hour segments and I think I've only finished two.
I also currently have the 2008 Sense and Sensibility but haven't watched it yet.

-Pammie

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I have read Persuasion and Northanger Abbey. I am currently working Mansfield Park. I have watched the 2005 P&P, the 2009 Emma. I have the 1999 version of Mansfield Park to watch. I have Northanger Abbey adn Persuasion on hold at the library waiting for me to pick them up. When I finish Mansfield Park, I am going to read Emma, then Sense & Sensibility, and P&P.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments How is the 2009 version of Emma? I'm curious about the 1999 version of Mansfield Park as well.
-Pammie

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I lliked it. I was done by Masterpiece Theater and was actually 4 episodes, so you would be able to break it up if you needed ot. I will let you know about Mansfield Park. Want to finish the book first.

message 5: by Pamela (last edited Jun 12, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments I think if its the one I'm thinking of it is by BBC Studios.
-Pammie

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments for Emma, yes it is. I was able to check it out from my local library.

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments My library has NO Jane Austen movies. Blah. Which means I have to buy all of mine on Amazon, I may get some of them on amazon.
-Pammie

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments that is a bummer. can you get them from another library and pick up at yours. just a thought to save you some $.

message 9: by Alana (new)

Alana (bovygirl) | 2 comments I plan on trying to get to Death Comes To Pemberly. I have it on my Kobo. As for movies, Persuasion is on the top of my list. *sigh* Ciaran Hinds. ..

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I have Death Comes to Pemberly on my Nook. Have yet to read it though.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments I have Death Comes to Pemberly too.
I don't know about that one yet, Stephanie, I can try it but since my library system is a private one I'm not sure what they'd have.
-Pammie

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Well.

My Summer of Austen has already started. I am going to re read them all, as I have already read them all once. Read P&P again and working through Emma. After Emma I have Mr Knightley's diary to read - any one read the Amanda Grange series?

I am also going to try and watch ALL (therefore purchase) the adaptations ... (* = need to see)
S&S: 1971*,1981*, 1996, 2008
P&P: 1940, 1980*, 1995, 2005
MP: 1983, 1999*, 2007
E: 1972*, 1996, 1996, 2009
NA: 1986*, 2007
P: 1960*, 1971*, 1995, 2007

Also visiting Bath and the JA centre her cottage

Want to get a matching set of hardback novels and complete my collection of the mini books , calls 'Flipback Classics' as I was given one and they are really cute!!!

That's my plan :) also reading and buying nonfiction ones.
Got...
JA pocket bible - recommend!
Guide to good manners: Compliments, Charades and horrible blunders - recommend!
(If this counts, the Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC one) which looks really good!)
And there are many I want :D

Gunna be a great summer!!

What are peoples thoughts on the remaining works of JA, other than the novels.
So that's like Lady Susan, the Watsons, Juvanila, Sandition, Letters.. Um... Yeah.

And Emma 2009 is WONDERFUL!! Really exact to the book with wonderful actors!! I LOVE IT!! RECOMMEND RECOMMEND RECOMMEND!!

message 13: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments I've just watched the 2009 version of Emma and I was very pleasantly surprised. I think my favourite will always be the 70's version but this one was lively but not vulgar, it made me laugh but it mostly stuck to the book. The only thing that let it down in my opinion was 'Emma's' lack of grace, they could have taught her to walk with a decent posture!

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Haha. Isn't it great though!!! ?? Is the 1972 one good? Yet to watch that.

message 15: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments Soph - I just learned about the JA Centre for the first time by reading some old threads and did some internet searching. It would be so fun to visit. Do you know what all types of things they have there? Some of the stuff in the shop is just too awesome. I really liked the stationery stuff like the book marks.

Has anyone seen the P&P trivia game on amazon? It came up when I was putting some items on my wishlist for my birthday.
-Pammie

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments It's really cool. Has like a museum with costumes and stuff about her life etc and an awesome tea room and shop etc!! :D

Ohh what do I search to find this? I have added a load of Austen stuff recently ;)

message 17: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments Well I suppose it depends on what you like. The 1972 Emma, 1971 Persuasion and 1980 Pride and Prejudice are still my favourite adaptations of those books because to me they are most like the books. They have the quiet dignity and subtle humour that I feel some of the later films lack. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy some of the others though.

I’ll summarize what I think of them all and you might be able to work out whether you’ll like it.

S&S:
1971 – Highly dramatized, very enjoyable but funny for the wrong reasons
1981 – Has the feeling of the versions I like but actually turned out a little dry, still worth watching
1996 – Emma Thompson is not right to play Eleanor but it’s a very enjoyable film version
2008 – My favourite S&S, I think they really captured the book

P&P:
1940 – A beautiful Hollywood film, a joy to watch, loosely based on the book but still a favourite movie
1980 – My favourite P&P, it has the feeling of the books
1995 – I don’t like this version very much... the description as to why is much too long.
2005 – I don’t remember much of this one, I need to re-watch it… I know I didn’t think much of Keira Knightly and I have the impression the Bennett’s were portrayed as poor

MP:
1983 – Still the best adaptation and very enjoyable but far from perfect.
1999 – Terrible. Very loosely based on the book, but probably an enjoyable film if you’ve never read it
2007 – A fun film to watch, not wonderfully accurate but better than expected and far from the worst adaptation of any of them.

E:
1972 - My favourite E, it has the feeling and humour of the book
1996 – ITV Drama starring Kate Beckensale… E was a comedy not a drama, they took out the book’s humour and put in some of their own. Having said that, it grows on you if you keep watching it and is not at all a bad film
1996 – Gwyneth Paltrow – Cut down but still very enjoyable.
2009 – I liked this one, it’s funny for the right reasons. Emma could use a few deportment lessons though.

NA:
1986 – Not a good adaptation, everyone seems rather vulgar and its greatest achievement is to make The Mysteries of Udolpho look exciting (which is a not inconsiderable achievement I admit)
2007 – Beautifully done, definitely my favourite version

P:
1960 – I have yet to find a copy of this
1971 – My favourite P. Again I think it captures the feeling of the book and is just how I imagine it.
1995 – Awful, especially the Elliot sisters, they’d all have been good playing Fanny Price’s immediate family.
2007 – I only saw this once and I mean to give it a second go because all I remember is that awful bit at the end where Ann makes her invalid friend run round Bath, and I have a hunch it wasn’t that bad until that point.

I look forward to everyone else’s views on them as you go through!

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thanks so much!! That list is exactly my list !!! And I can see copies on amazon of all but persuasion 1960.
So I am planning on watching them all :) i have only the older oneself as you can see from my previous list :)

Thanks again!!

message 19: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments You're welcome... it was all of you talking about them that set me to watching them again. :D

My Summer reading I think will be alternate versions and inspired by's, though I might fit the originals in too at some point.

It looks like the trivia game is only available on Amazon.com and not .co.uk :(

message 20: by Pamela (last edited Jun 13, 2012 04:21PM) (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments this is the trivia game, I assume it's okay to link -

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Trivia Game

-Pammie

P.S. Do you know anybody in the U.S. that you could send the money to and they could buy it for you and send it to you?

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Aww that's why I couldn't find it!! :(

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Only .com... Annoying!!