Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion


750 views
Should Harry have ended up with Hermione

Comments (showing 1-50 of 167) (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Dana TOTALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

No... That would have been weird. Anyway, who would Ron have ended up with?


Sarah Hadley Star •I love Harry Potter!• wrote: "No... That would have been weird. Anyway, who would Ron have ended up with?"
Yeah. Absolutely right... good point. I like how it happened. O.o


Aidyn Dana wrote: "TOTALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY"

why do you think so?


Erin O'Riordan Harry and Hermione are good friends. She was in love with Ron for a long, long time. At least since 'Goblet of Fire.'


message 6: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie no...


message 7: by Sparrowlicious (last edited Jun 12, 2012 11:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sparrowlicious In this Rowling follows quite a classic development: Harry ends up with the first young witch he meets and that is Ginny. (Remember: they briefly met at King's Cross when Mrs. Weasly said goodbye to Ron as they left for school in the very first book.)
Btw, I was quite surprised that Hermione ended up with one of her friends at all. Usually that would be quite awkward. The earlier you get to be friends with somone of the opposite gender the easier it is to see them as part of your family. Harry's friends were so closely involved with each other that it surprises me that Hermione ends up with Ron. While Ginny was close, she was never really part of the adventures Harry shared with Hermione and Ron.

Edit: Then again I might see things a little differently because I'm asexual and almost aromantic. Lol. I try seeing this from a more logical point of view but I do realize that love is mostly unlogical. But I'm also a hobby author and thinking things through like this kind of helps.


Hitandmiss End up with? nar,

Harry is a major celeb at the end. He should of been inundated with lovers, Hermione being one of them. He should of been out living the life of Riley!

Ron should of died in the first/second book, he is worthless are a char and did very little in the grand scheme of things, his only real purpose was as a comparison to Harry, (Ron has a nice family bros/sis/mom/dad, Harry has nasty unc/aunt/cuz) hes dragged up as a ginger punching bag with little to no personailty other then being the laughing stock.


Trista I always thought that he would end up with Hermione. But I like the way things turned out, too.


Hannah Christmas No. They are just not that kind of compatible. Remember in Goblet of Fire when Ron and Harry were fighting and Harry had to hang out with Hermione alone all the time? It just didn't work as well as when Ron and Hermione are stuck together without Harry. It happened the way it should have.


Karina Simões I don't think Hermione s2 Harry would work... :(
But I think Ron s2 Luna would work just fine. haha


message 12: by Xdyj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Xdyj Yes, probably b/c Hermione is my fav. character & Ginny is so underdeveloped as a character that I would prefer Harry/Luna to Harry/Ginny.


Fairuz No. If Harry would end up with Hermione, who's gonna be Ron's wife??? Hahaha...


Rachel I'm glad that Hermione ended up with Ron, when you want to date/marry someone you would hope that they are your best friend.... although I do think that it might be a bit awkward.. I do really like that Harry and Ginny ended up together although I wished that Ginny was shown more often throughout the book because I really liked her character


Carolina Riojas NO! I think that Hermione and Ron were meant to be since the first book, the hated each other, and that kind of couples are always meant to be


message 16: by Janie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janie Well, Harry and Hermione do end up as relatives in the end. Brother and sister-in-law. I hated Harry with Ginny though. It seemed so... out of the blue and awkward and strange. I mean, when did he start liking her?

And also, Hadley Star, if Harry ending up with Hermione would be weird, how does Ron ending up with Hermione be "not weird"? Just wondering.


message 17: by Josephina (last edited Jun 14, 2012 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josephina This question has always been hard for me, because it reminds me of the old Smallville arguments I'd read, about how Chloe should have ended up with Clark because she'd "earned" him because she'd been his best friend for so long. And love just doesn't work like that, like a door prize at a party.

I get why there are so many people who were in favor of Harry/Hermione. I figured Harry would end up with Ginny from the first scene in which she was introduced, but I think Rowling dropped the ball in developing the love story. I had a hard time caring about their relationship when Ginny was such a peripheral character in the books.

That said, I could never get behind Harry/Hermione either. I get that readers would want the payoff of wanting the main character that they've gotten to know so well to end up with a supporting character that they know (and presumably, if they're shipping her, love...though I find actually liking a character isn't a prerequisite for shipping them).

The problem for me was that the books are told from Harry's point of view, and except for the occasional moment I suppose you could read more into if you were so inclined to look for it, I just never got a feeling from him that he was interested in her that way. He was obvious about his feelings for Cho. He was obvious about his feeling (inexplicable as they were to me on some level) for Ginny. Whether you liked the ending or not, I think Rowling was pretty obvious about where she was going, from the moment Ginny came downstairs and was horrified to be embarrassed in front of Harry. I couldn't stomach the idea of needing a decoder ring and "subtle anvils" to see the romantic tension between Harry and Hermione.

So, no, I don't think he should have ended up with Hermione. I don't really care about Ron/Hermione one way or another; nor do I care about Harry/Ginny particularly either. That said, I think that, with the way the "relationship" was developed through the series, I would have found a Harry/Hermione ending to be a letdown as well, in its own way.


Christine I honestly dont know. Maybe if Ron wasn't there but.....i guess she could have possibly ended up with him IF Ron's family hadn't existed


Johnathan Carolina wrote: "NO! I think that Hermione and Ron were meant to be since the first book, the hated each other, and that kind of couples are always meant to be"

I agree completely, Ron and Hermione were destined ever since they met on the train the first time. I don't mind Harry's choice either, Ginny come from a big loving family, and she isn't a wimpy type like Cho, so they can adventure together. It all worked out.


message 20: by E.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.E. Definitely not. Ron and Hermione you could see coming. But Harry and Ginny was so sudden. Nothing of a romance at all untilt the seventh and even then it seemed little more than a crush for both parties. Harry should have ended up with Cho Chang or just someone who isn't Hermione or Ginny.


Johnathan E.E. wrote: "Definitely not. Ron and Hermione you could see coming. But Harry and Ginny was so sudden. Nothing of a romance at all untilt the seventh and even then it seemed little more than a crush for both pa..."

I disagree Cho would have been the worst choice available.


Simplyminali NO! Harry and Hermione were too much of best friends to marry each other. It's true that Harry loved Hermione and vice versa but they never like each other THAT way.


Allen Crowe There were a couple of looks I thought I saw now and again. But I am glad Harry didn't hook up with Hermione they make much better friends. Maybe Harry should have taken a shot at Susan Bones or Katie Black. Or better yet another seeker like Lucy "lucky" Karoonda. Same age... same passions.


Silverhuntress i admit i thought about that but then jk rowling would have to pair ron up with a random girl...so nah:D


denny I think not, at the beginning I thought so but after a while it just seemed unnatural to me.


Brooke Nooooooooooooooooo! :0 I HATE Hermione!


Allen Crowe Brooke wrote: "Nooooooooooooooooo! :0 I HATE Hermione!"

Awww... that's sad. But I have extremely dis... no I've hated characters in the past I suppose. :'-c


I'm Crying I really wish they had ended up together. I felt like Harry and Hermione's chemistry was much stronger than Ron and Hermione's. But that's just me...


Weiting Well yeah its suprised me that Harry was with Ginny.
I certaintly didn't expect that but I only knew that Hermione would just marry either Harry or Ron.
That's how most novels are,the girl of the gang marries one of her friends.


message 30: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan I like the Harry/Luna idea. Harry and Hermione are both high energy, fast thinkers. Luna could give balance to Harry's ways of living and being. However, my guess is that Rowling was looking at Harry's desire for the warmth of a family as his overall need in life. In that case Ginny herself is less important than the fact that she is the product of a close, loving family.


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

no. at firsts b4 I read the books I thought Hermione liked Harry not Ron and was like O-o okkkayy..
But Hermione and Ron make an awesome pair and Harry and Ginny are awesome too!!!


message 32: by Alexus (last edited Jun 17, 2012 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexus Hitandmiss wrote: "End up with? nar,

Harry is a major celeb at the end. He should of been inundated with lovers, Hermione being one of them. He should of been out living the life of Riley!

Ron should of died in the..."

No, I think that Harry was always supposed to end up with Ginny. As for this idea that he should have had endless lovers, well... That's really funny. When I read that I actually laughed for like three whole minutes. Not in bad way but just as that's a really interesting opinion. I just think that Harry was too decent to want alot of women. I heard this saying once.. " A real man does not have to romance a new woman every night, a real man will romance the same woman for the rest of her life." I really think that's the kind of man that Harry would be. Ron as well. I'm really happy that he ended up with Hermione. After I read the fourth book I was waiting for them to get together. It was their relationship that held my attention a lot of the time (especially in the sixth book). I think everything about this book series is perfect (except maybe Fred dying... I understand that it makes sense for one of the Weasleys to die but I hated that it was one of the twins). Anyway, that's what I think.


message 33: by Aidyn (last edited Jun 17, 2012 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aidyn i like harry and ginny together, but ginny is such an undevelped carater in my opian. but i also agree with Joan and the harry/luna idea because thats a very good point.


Clorissa Rene' Brown No!!!!! That would have been boring and predictable. They are wonderful friends. Just because Harry is the lead doesn't mean he should get the lead girl.. boring. Ron and Hermione are a true match. They obviously have loved eachother for a long time. You would have to rewrite the entire series and change personalities to have them end up together. It absolutely wouldn't work. No, just no.


Melanie I wanted Harry and Hermione to end up together. However, this way they are all part of the same family.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that J.K Rowling knew from the very beginning that Hermoine would be romantically linked with Ron. I mean, she gave many ways that Hermoine could have ended up with Harry, but clearly Hermoine's soul mate is Ron because of the hours she spent crying and screaming after he (Rom) left in Deathly Hallows.


Taylor After the death tolls in DH, I think the readers deserved that perfect ending. Our favorite characters are in good hands, everyone stays together, and we know the future is bright. This pairing was the only way rowling could keep everyone together, and have it make sense.

On another note, did anyone every wonder how awkward family dinners at the Weasley"s are now, especially when the kids start coming. :\


Johnathan Taylor wrote: "After the death tolls in DH, I think the readers deserved that perfect ending. Our favorite characters are in good hands, everyone stays together, and we know the future is bright. This pairing was..."

Why would they be Awkward?


message 39: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml I think he should have ended up with Hermione; they were more equals than Ron was with Hermione. In every single book except the 7th book it was always Harry and Hermione fixing everything together. And for most of the 7th it was still just Harry and Hermione. Half the time in the series Ron was pissed at Harry, and if he wasn't, when it came time to do something he was injured or unable to get to where the trouble was. Ron was there for comedy, but in all honestly he could have died or never been there and Voldemort still would have been defeated. Harry and Hermione always had this connection I felt like. Whenever Harry was upset it was always Hermione who made him feel better. And I loved that she never once left him or didn’t believe in him. Hermione was always there for Harry whenever he needed her. I felt like Harry’s love for Ginny came out of nowhere, like Rowling wanted to set everyone up with people the readers knew. Ron would have been better off when someone he met after school. He was always terrible to Hermione, and I know some people think it’s cute, but I always hate it when guys mistreat girls-whether it’s because he doesn’t know how to express his feelings or not. Ron needed someone who could make him feel better about himself, obviously someone better than Lavender Brown, because Ron is still a pretty good guy, even if he’s just a slightly above average wizard. With Hermione his ego is still going to get in the way, since she’s pretty much better at everything than he is.


Johnathan Eml wrote: "I think he should have ended up with Hermione; they were more equals than Ron was with Hermione. In every single book except the 7th book it was always Harry and Hermione fixing everything together..."

Yes but opposites attract. Ron is everything Hermione isn't, and she is Everything he isn't. Ron and Hermione are good for each other.


Allen Crowe Eml wrote: "I think he should have ended up with Hermione; they were more equals than Ron was with Hermione. In every single book except the 7th book it was always Harry and Hermione fixing everything together..."

I'm. With that, you convinced me. Harry and Hermione meant to be... much better. Well spoke.


Brooke Am I the only person here who completely despises Hermione?


Alexus How could you despise Hermione?


Marie-Ève Tehreem wrote: "I really wish they had ended up together. I felt like Harry and Hermione's chemistry was much stronger than Ron and Hermione's. But that's just me..."

You are not the only one.


Brooke Alexus wrote: "How could you despise Hermione?"
A ton of reasons.


Alexus Brooke wrote: "Alexus wrote: "How could you despise Hermione?"
A ton of reasons."


Could you give me a few? I'm trying to see this question at all angles.


Brooke Alexus wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Alexus wrote: "How could you despise Hermione?"
A ton of reasons."

Could you give me a few? I'm trying to see this question at all angles."

Willingly.
1. She was a jerk throughout the entire series.
2. In #3, she refused to apologize to Ron when it looked like her cat had eaten his rat.
3. She is completely obsessed with rules.
4. She did not act like Harry's friend in #6.
5. She was never really friendly toward Ron until near the end of #7. (I am in love with the Weaslys and their brand of sarcastic humor, so that really ticked me off.)
6. She does not get Quidditch and how much Harry, Ron, and Ginny love it.
And that's just for starters!


Allen Crowe Think it started out like that because of her age and she was a girl surrounded by boys. She was just one of the guys kind of. Then she was surrounded by danger and mysterys. Think she did pretty good as "the outsider" kind of character. She did more for Harry than my friends would for me... they'd just run away! Lol!


message 49: by Ryne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryne I felt like the tent scene in the movie kind of perfectly captured their relationship. Their instincts are telling them they should be together, but they value their friendship too much to risk it going sour. That goes both in terms of their friendship with Ron and each other. Instead of creating a messy love triangle they chose to keep things the way they were, which probably worked out for the better.


Natalie NO
Hermione/Ron.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)