European Royalty discussion

History Discussions > Wanted: India, Thailand and/or Singapore Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Does anyone have any book recommendations (fiction or non-fiction) that deal with India, Thailand, and/or Singapore? Thanks!

message 2: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 71 comments Tanamera by Noel Barber is a fantastic historical novel that is set in Singapore during the first half of the 20th century.

Tanamera by Noel Barber

message 3: by Sara W (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:19AM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments KOMET wrote: "Tanamera by Noel Barber is a fantastic historical novel that is set in Singapore during the first half of the 20th century.

Tanamera by Noel Barber"

Thanks!

Edit: Just found it for cheap on Amazon, so ordering it now!

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I love India settings. Here's some favorites starting with the best, MM Kaye.

The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye

Olivia And Jai by Rebecca Ryman by Rebecca Ryman

Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald by Valerie Fitzgerald. Awesome.

Beyond All Frontiers by Emma Drummond by Emma Drummond.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Misfit wrote: "I love India settings. Here's some favorites starting with the best, MM Kaye.

The Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeShadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye

Olivia And Jai by Rebecca Ryman by Rebecca Ryman

[bookcover..."

Thanks as well! :) I read The Far Pavilions when we had it as a group read a few years ago (really enjoyed it - should dig it back out), but I haven't heard of the other ones.

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments KOMET wrote: "Tanamera by Noel Barber is a fantastic historical novel that is set in Singapore during the first half of the 20th century.

Tanamera by Noel Barber"

Almost finished with this and LOVE it! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan

I read this on a whim in August and really enjoyed it.

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally (goodreadscomdinah) Not quite sure how this ended up on the European Royalty site, but it's nice to see it.

Have you looked at the Goodreads "Best Books About India" site? a couple of my favorites on this list: "White Tiger" (fiction) and "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" (non-fiction). I suggested in April that the latter would end up on many "best books of 2012" lists and it seems to be happening. Both somewhat depressing, but so capture the dichotomies of this fascinating country.

message 9: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 71 comments Speaking further of India, I recommend the following novel, "EMPIRE OF THE MOGHUL" by Alex Rutherford, which is set in the late 15th century.

message 10: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 9 comments I just finished the novel Tiger Claws A Novel of India by John Speed by John Speed. It's set in the last year of Shah Jehad's (had the Taj Mahal built) life and the struggle for power during that time.

message 11: by Tj (new)

Tj Baross | 1 comments Thai Lies - a memoir inspired novel. Secretly married to his Thai girlfriend right out of college, an expat's nine year struggle for acceptance. The journey bounces between the states and Europe and Cambodia and all over Thailand. It's the only travel guide of the country you will ever enjoy reading with stop offs in some secluded diving coves near Malaysia. The only foreigner crazy enough to train and fight muay Thai boxing in the 70's. Just don't forget the sunscreen if
you're around the pool. It's over 500 pages. Out on Amazon January 1, 2013. And yeah, I'm still around,
living the Peter Pan fantasy.

message 12: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hewison (rachhewison) | 1 comments Holy Cow An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald
I've just gotten back from travelling round India and a few people had read this book and said it was brilliant.

message 13: by Nighat (new)

Nighat Malik | 2 comments Sara W wrote: "Does anyone have any book recommendations (fiction or non-fiction) that deal with India, Thailand, and/or Singapore? Thanks!"

I have recently come across Alex Rutherford saga about the Mughals.I'm currently reading the second book,about Huumayun.Gives a beautiful insight into both fact and fiction of the era