Volunteer State Book Award 2008-2009 Primary Division discussion

How have you shared the titles?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronda (last edited Jan 08, 2009 06:22PM) (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) I'd like to hear how some of you introduce these books. Earlier this school year, I shared the VSBA slides with the book blurbs and pictures of the covers. I've started reading the primary titles to my K-2 this week since our 7/14 day rotation got split due to the holidays.

I point out that this is a chance for kids and only kids to pick their favorite. They get a kick out of the fact that the adults can't vote--that THEY themselves pick the winners.

Something else I've done this year is to create bookmarks (using a Word table) with boxes they can check as they read/listen to some of the books. One of my teachers decided that she's going to post one of these for each student on their room's blackboard so the students can keep track in class.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancymd) | 1 comments I read most of the primary titles during my fixed library schedule. I loved Cha-Cha Chimps. After I read the story, we did some of the dances, including the hokey pokey. After we danced, we had a conga line over to the everybody (easy) section where we did the shelf marker hokey pokey that I learned on lm_net. I think I had more fun than anybody! But the kids loved it too....

message 3: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) Cool! I got a good response from the kid when I asked them if any of them watched Dancing with the Stars (a lot of them have watched the show) and I talk about some of the dance names and how funny some of them sound (my favorite being the jitterbug). I also tied it in to 10 little monkeys and they recited right along with me "10 little monkeys jumping on the bed, one fell off and bumped his head. . . " I bet they would have enjoyed doing a conga line around the library. :D

message 4: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) I've been reading the Rotten Richie book with my 3rd graders. I've used it to piggy back a reminder about fiction and non-fiction, showing them a non-fiction book about hockey and one about dance (chance to remind them about Dewey # = subject) and then we talk about how some fictional books may actually be based on real events/people--like this book. What has amazed me is how rapt so many of the students have been--even some of the ones who normally are pretty rowdy. They get a kick out of seeing the actual photographs in the back/front of the book. I"m not sure this one would work as well with younger grades though--largely due to its length.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 2 comments One of our favorite activities has been Ain't Gonna Paint no more. We sang "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More" and then I gave each student a blank outline of a boday and asked them to create their own interpretation of the painter in the book. We now sing "I ain't gonna read no more/I'm out of time/have to get into line" as we leave library. (Our school does not have an art teacher, so I do not feel guilty if the lesson had no specific library skills other than exposure to literature.)

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Cothron | 2 comments I read one of the books each week to my second graders. I made a book review sheet for them to complete after we read the book. On the sheet there is a spot to draw a picture and write a sentence about the book. Then, they have to rate the book by coloring in 1 to 5 ladybugs. I am keeping the sheets until it is voting time. Then we will bind the sheets in to a book for each student and they will be able to look back at their reviews to pick their favorite. I also bought inexpensive picture frames and each week I pick out a new review and display it in the library.