TV We've Just Watched discussion

British TV > Luther

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Has anyone else watch the best cop show of all time. Yes, I'm talking about Luther. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474684/ If you haven't, do yourself a favor and check it out. Season 1 is available on Netflix, 6 episodes. Season 2 will undoubtedly rerun on BBCA with it's 4 episodes.

Everyone who's watched it, loves it. It's so much better than any cop drama I've ever seen and a fine example of why I think British TV is so superior to ours. The stories are complex and allows the viewer to think for themselves and not be led by the nose with obvious clues and hints like American cop dramas that bore me to death inside of five minutes. I appreciate that British writers don't assume their viewers are idiots, in fact, they expect us to be intelligent, imagine that.

Really, Luther is the show to watch. You won't regret it.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments I didnt catch season 2 - I wish BBC America would replay these things sometime instead of thousands of episodes of Top Gear. Season 1 was great!

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Or 7 million episodes of Gordon F-ing Ramsey's 7 million shows.

They've aired Luther S2 twice since last summer. I hope they air both seasons again soon. We have to wait on Idris' schedule for S3 to begin filming anyway...we might as well fill it with reruns of Luther.

BTW, do you ever watch Dramaville? Idris introduces each episode.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments Yes - I have seen him. And I totally agree on Ramsey too. Ugh.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 10:43AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I wrote to BBC/BBCA a few months ago, complaining about GR. I don't mind his show being on, just not all the time. I even suggested giving us a pay cable channel strictly for current dramas and comedies because I would be willing to pay for them.

I watch Top Gear but just the new episodes, I've seen all the rest. It's not a show that needs to be viewed over and over.

message 6: by Allen (last edited Oct 15, 2012 11:49PM) (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments You should also check out Murphy's Law, and The Shadow Line. Both very good too. I also have an older show from '98 with Idris in it called Ultraviolet in my queue.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I don't really like cop shows. Or mobsters so Murphy has no appeal to me. Cop shows are mostly the same thing over and over. I like when there's something different to it. Like Luther and Copper.
I saw 2 episodes of Ultraviolet a few years ago. I think I saw Shadow Line.

message 8: by Allen (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments Ah, well I like long narrative shows, which is why I like Murphy's(and James Nesbit is awesome). Luther is the same. Copper just seemed like a standard procedural, with the setting coming off as a bit cheesy.

Right now I'm watching George Gently, which is a fairly standard cop drama. But it's set in 60s Newcastle, and each episode is a self contained case in 90min. So they feel like a movie, basically.

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I saw Nesbit in Jekyll, that was pretty good. And he's a really good actor.

It started out good, though, Cooper has gotten entirely too predictable, and Copper not catching on to the obvious irritates me. The setting is gimmicky. I watch it mostly because it's the only place I can see Kevin Ryan.

Did you ever watch any Wallander? I watched a season or two.

message 10: by Allen (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments I just had that inkling from the get go of Copper.

I have not heard of Wallander, but it looks interesting. There is a Swedish one too, and I've been meaning to watch more foreign language shows, and just found a copy of the first season with subs. I think I'll give it a go. From wiki it seems to be like George Gently, episodic movie like cases.

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Oct 16, 2012 08:33PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Allen wrote: From wiki it seems to be like George Gently, episodic movie like cases.
Yes, it is, when you mentioned GG, it made me think of Wallander. The British version has Kenneth Brannagh in it.

What about Sherlock? Do you watch that one too?
I like it a lot. Excellent writing and dialogue, acting. Top notch stuff.

message 12: by Allen (last edited Oct 16, 2012 08:41PM) (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 222 comments Oh yeah, Sherlock is amazing.

message 13: by Jackie (last edited Oct 16, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Stephen Moffat is my favorite TV writer. And Cumberbatch really pulls off the Sherlock character well. I can't see anyone else in that role now.

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Luther is finished filming the final season, same format as S2, 4 episodes in total. No official premiere date but I expect BBCA to have it over the summer. Or maybe that's just optimistic thinking. Either way, Idris is back....

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Anyone watch Luther yet? I watched the first two, going to do the next two right now.

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Love Luther!

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments We can remember a time when it looked like Idris Elba‘s London-based sleuth wouldn’t be returning for any more episodes: but thankfully, creator Neil Cross has relented: “Ever since we said goodbye to John Luther on Southwark Bridge, there’s hardly been a minute when I didn’t wonder what happened next,” said the writer. “So I decided to find out. We’re putting the band back together: Luther is coming back where he belongs. Back to the BBC. Back to London. And back to work.” The two-part special will begin filming in March, for broadcast on BBC One and BBC America later in the year.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia...

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Premiere date as Dec 17, but I would think it's for the UK and we'll find out later when it'll air on BBCA
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474684/e...