Fans of the website Corporette discussion

Classics

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

PictureBookPlaydate | 8 comments My theory on classics has always been that they're "classics" for a reason. So, in an effort to be more well-read, I tend to alternate reading "fluff" books with classics.

My question to the board is - what classics would you recommend?

Some of my favorites are:
- 19th Century British Adventure (ex: Sherlock Holmes, Around the World in 80 Days, Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels, etc.)
- Jane Austen
- Russian Literature (Tolstoy in particular)

Authors I know I SHOULD (re-) read but have horrible high-school memories of and therefore avoid:
- Anything by Dickens (except A Christmas Carol)
- Henry Melville

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah If you haven't read Jane Eyre yet, I highly recommend it. The first 1/3 or so is slow - stick with it.

PictureBookPlaydate | 8 comments I read Jane Eyre back in high school but it is probably worth revisiting. Thanks!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ooh...also the Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books of all time. (I love how things pop into my head only AFTER I have replied...) :)

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Oehrlein Funny how even among classics we have different tastes -- I would *never* choose anything Russian. :-)

I liked Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. From American Lit, I like books/stories by Eudora Welty and Willa Cather.

I have audio books of Canterbury Tales. While I don't like them all equally, most are pretty good to listen to while commuting. I also have an audio book of Kate Chopin's Awakening; it's sad but I really like it.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 2 comments Two that my book group has read recently are Tender is the Night and Madame Bovary. Tender is the Night was also slow to get going, but worth it by the end. Fitzgerald writes so well that I'm going to look for some of his short stories next.

Madame Bovary was exquisitely written, and also slow to get going. It happened that the movie came on TV. After watching the moving, I was eager to get back into the book and read how some of the scenes developed in the book.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I recently read The House of Mirth - really enjoyed it despite trying to read it many years ago without success. It helps that it was free at Barnes and Noble for my Nook.