Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

2012 Archives > Jun 2012: Birth Control?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Coleen (jilliancoleen) | 22 comments Please tell me I'm not the only one who wonders about birth control in this series? I realize it's not the most important detail, but is anyone else curious about how the D'Angelines manage it?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments It's brought up in later books. It's a mild spoiler, and it doesn't really give anything away, but I'll stick it behind a tag anyway.

(view spoiler)

Though that does nothing against STDs. Apparently another gift of Elua?

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Coleen (jilliancoleen) | 22 comments Damn. How can I get some of that? I'd praise Naamah to high heavens for birth control that easy. Thanks for sharing :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna | 42 comments Through the whole book I was thinking the same thing!!

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire (cacromwell) | 221 comments Glad this was on someone else's mind too!

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 11 comments I had wondered you're this never can up during her training years. I often wondered how she could have so much sex and never worry.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 2 comments Yes! It's a question that's been in the back of my mind through it. Good to know I'm not the only one.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments Yeah, it did feel kind of that way to me, too - especially because it's never brought up (at least in the books I've read, I've missed some of the latest ones) what non-D'Angeline women do for birth control. Or, since the ritual can't be reversed, what D'Angeline women do after they decide they're done having babies. Somehow, I don't really imagine D'Angeline women (and their male partners) *not* coming up with some way to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 76 comments I was considering it like her ability to heal i.e. a gift from the gods ... which would sort of make sense given who her god (and main god) is.

message 10: by Melinda (new)

Melinda VanLone | 51 comments Oh yeah, that was bugging me too! But I skipped so much of the long boring political stuff that I figured the explanation was there and I missed it.

So I take it, then, that the whole "D'Angeline" thing is not just a myth, that they really do have angelic blood? I suppose it would never do for angels to have STDs or the plague or anything like that. hmmm.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments It was left pretty ambiguous, actually, up until the ritual to Eisheth was revealed. D'Angelines, though, are generally far more beautiful, graceful and less susceptible to disease than people from other nations. They also age differently - D'Angelines glide gracefully into age, and manage to retain their youth longer.

In Kushiel's Chosen, Phedre travels to La Serenissima and observes the difference between full-blooded D'Angelines, full-blooded Serenissimans and one character who is of mixed ancestry. So there is obviously something distinct, which sets apart D'Angelines from the other nationalities (though I admit finding the implications of racial supremacy a little unnerving). Kushiel's Avatar delves a little more into the angel mythos, but I don't want to give too much away about that book.

message 12: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Melinda wrote: "So I take it, then, that the whole "D'Angeline" thing is not just a myth, that they really do have angelic blood? I suppose it would never do for angels to have STDs or the plague or anything like that. hmmm.

They do get the plague, though it's a bit glossed over - (view spoiler). In fact if I remember rightly a particular backplot character dies of it (view spoiler)

message 13: by AnnaBanana (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 89 comments Caroline wrote: "spoilers"

You are right on your spoilers lol

message 14: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (ignes) Caroline wrote: "Melinda wrote: "So I take it, then, that the whole "D'Angeline" thing is not just a myth, that they really do have angelic blood? I suppose it would never do for angels to have STDs or the plague o..."

In response to that, (view spoiler).

D'Angeline's do catch diseases though, and even though they age gracefully I don't think they get any older than the other peoples in the world.

It didn't bother me that this 'birth control' method is magical. After all, this is a fantasy novel, and I especially love how the magic of this world is grand in its simplicity, its matter-of-fact-like incorporation in daily life. At the start of the series I doubted there was any 'real' magic in this world at all. Boy was I wrong about that.

But yes, some reference as to how parents deciding their family is complete make sure of that would have been interesting, especially since there are a plenty of peers of the realm with known heirs frolicking around in the Courts of Night-Blooming Flowers.

Hmm, now I'm trying to recall if there were any mothers among them... Only one I can think of right now is (view spoiler)

It's been a while since I reread this book. Do you guys remember any others?

message 15: by Robert (last edited Jun 23, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Robert (helga666) | 31 comments (view spoiler)

I do think there is a magical off switch. Not sure though got the impression the ceremony was a "i want A kid" not sure on that.

Ya the D'angeline don't seam to get or have STD's but other races do die of them in book 3 Phedra's healing power appears to make her at least immune.