A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) A Spell for Chameleon discussion

Xanth series

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah George Has anyone read these, Do you know the exact order for them? I have read quite a few when i was younger, such as the one shown, centaur isle, golem in the gears and a few others but the names escape me right now lol.. I loved these books, but i like all things magical.

message 2: by Jd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jd a spell for chameleon is the first book and here is the rest of the books in order:

A SPELL FOR CHAMELEON
THE SOURCE OF MAGIC
CASTLE ROOGNA
CENTAUR AISLE
OGRE,OGRE
NIGHT MARE
DRAGON ON A PEDESTAL
CREWEL LYE:A CAUSTIC YARN
There are more books in the Xanth series but these are a start for you

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah George I have read up to Dragon on a pedestal, not sure about crewel lye.. What comes after them?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

A Spell for Chameleon 1
The Source of Magic 2
Castle Roogna 3
Centaur Aisle 4
Ogre, Ogre 5
Night Mare 6
Dragon on a Pedestal 7
Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn 8
Golem in the Gears 9
Vale of the Vole 10
Heaven Cent 11
Man from Mundania 12
Isle of View 13
Question Quest 14
The Colour of Her Panties 15
Demons Don't Dream 16
Harpy Thyme 17
Geis of the Gargoyle 18
Roc and a Hard Place 19
Yon Ill Wind 20
Faun & Games 21
Zombie Lover 22
Xone of Contention 23
The Dastard 24
Swell Foop 25
Up in a Heaval 26
Cube Route 27
Currant Events 28
Pet Peeve 29
Stork Naked 30
Air Apparent 31
Two to the Fifth 32
Jumper Cable 33
Knot Gneiss 34
Well-Tempered Clavicle 35
Luck of the Draw 36

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah George wow i didnt know there was 36 of them lol, will get one at a time. If i can find them, i dont think they are on kindle yet.
thank you for the list.

bitfed Here is a link to the Goodreads series page, they are in order: http://www.goodreads.com/series/40498...

They are not for everyone being not exactly for kids and not exactly mature at all, haha. I've read all of them except for the latest one which I am due to start soon.

My advice is to enjoy the first 3 for sure.. after that it's a matter of taste. I've always found them to be at the very least, reliable and consistent in quality, if a little formulaic. (But that's what I like about them now)

It's hard to say though, because I started reading Xanth when I was like 10.. My perceptions of Piers Anthony now are much different than they used to be before I knew what the world was like.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

good comments bitfed. i enjoyed the first several Xanth books many years ago (early-mid 80's). My wife and I collected some later ones since then, but we never got back to reading them. I'm not sure I would enjoy them now, but they were enjoyable fluff at the time. When I think of older book series I'd like to reread, Xanth doesn't jump to the head of the line.

bitfed @Ron Thx. I think Question Quest (#14) is my favorite of all of them. Worth bumping up over the rest. This one also serves as a review of some of Xanth history.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

very good to know about Question Quest. I was wondering where to reenter the series someday, and figured I would just have to start over from the beginning (I may anyway since the first couple were my favorites). Question Quest sounds like a good alternative to get interested in Xanth again.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah George I loved the first few that i have read. Last time i read one was about 3 years ago lol.. so even though i am older i do still enjoy them, to me its light hearted humour..

Nicole I had to stop when the puns became too much for the story. Granted that was a long time ago and I haven't tried again.

bitfed @Nicole: haha, I'm not sure when that was ever not the case. :-D

The first 3 are a different breed, for sure.

message 13: by Rena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rena McGee Deborah wrote: "Has anyone read these, Do you know the exact order for them? I have read quite a few when i was younger, such as the one shown, centaur isle, golem in the gears and a few others but the names escap..."

I've read most of the books in the Xanth series until I gave up. I have to say that the very best book in the series is A Spell for Chameleon.

Atlantic Gem This series goes on forever!!!! My mom recommended it. He's still writing Xanth books. I've read A Spell for Chameleon. I'm currently reading Source of Magic and Demon's don't Dream. I wish the game in Demons Don't Dream was real. *sigh*

bitfed Miss Scarlet (Clue obsesee) wrote: "I wish the game in Demons Don't Dream was real. *sigh*"

Guess what Miss Scarlet.. it is! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y1tG...

Atlantic Gem Nice! Now, if only you could actually step in the game...

Atlantic Gem Oh yeah, I also recently finished The Color of Her Panties. Now I get why Humfrey could never answer the question. :)

Atlantic Gem Deborah wrote: "Has anyone read these, Do you know the exact order for them? I have read quite a few when i was younger, such as the one shown, centaur isle, golem in the gears and a few others but the names escap..."

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. My mom made me start with A Spell for Chameleon. She said after you finish that one, you could jump around. It still makes some sense if you do.

Atlantic Gem bitfed wrote: "Miss Scarlet (Clue obsesee) wrote: "I wish the game in Demons Don't Dream was real. *sigh*"

Guess what Miss Scarlet.. it is! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y1tG..."

I think the illustration for Metria was pretty accurate.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah George lol i didnt know there was a game too.. cool.

Atlantic Gem Ron wrote: "A Spell for Chameleon 1
The Source of Magic 2
Castle Roogna 3
Centaur Aisle 4
Ogre, Ogre 5
Night Mare 6
Dragon on a Pedestal 7
Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn 8
Golem in the Gea..."

I think you're missing a book. Night Mare is supposed to be #7, Dragon on a Pedestal being #8

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I think my list is pretty much correct. My Dragon on a Pedestal book lists itself as 7th in the series with Night Mare preceding it.

Teracia I love Piers Anthony and his Xanth series. these are the books that take up the most coveted top shelf of my book shelf. I also adore his mode and incarnations series.if you want a read you aren't expecting try his "Firefly".

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat I would skip the first two books, honestly. I re-read them and they were beyond painful to read as an adult. But the third was good upon re-read, and I remember the later series being much more fun as a kid, the first few books being the driest. I don't think he hit his groove on them until he had a little practice.

infael I read up to Vale or Heaven Cent before I stopped. The puns were just getting to be too much and bad. The series became repetitive and monotonous. Someone's kid is insecure, bored or wants to prove themselves. Something happens and they manage to handle it, making a name for themselves and finding love or realizing they already had love. Their kids appear in the next book. Rinse and repeat.

That's the basic plot for most of the Xanth books.

bitfed infael wrote: "I read up to Vale or Heaven Cent before I stopped. The puns were just getting to be too much and bad. The series became repetitive and monotonous. Someone's kid is insecure, bored or wants to prove..."

Currently in the series Puns are being eradicated from the land.

Bookfairy Atlantic Gem wrote: "This series goes on forever!!!! My mom recommended it. He's still writing Xanth books. I've read A Spell for Chameleon. I'm currently reading Source of Magic and Demon's don't Dream. I wish the gam..."

I started reading the series with Demons Don't Dream, because I didn't realize it was a series at the time. I loved the concepts, and I read 10 or so others when I got the first one. I think it's a great intro series to fantasy books.