Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Book Chat > Herb books?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Heather Ray (wordchick) | 18 comments I'm not talking about witchy books, but rather those that focus on how to grow them. (Although I guess the witchy ones would be cool, too :D)

My favorites are Jekka McVicker's New Book of Herbs and Herbs for the Home and because I'm in Georgia, The Southern Living Garden Book.

Anybody else with a green thumb?

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Heather Ray (wordchick) | 18 comments Would the RHSE be helpful for those of us living in the humid south, I wonder?

*Trots off to check it out.*

message 3: by Maryfaith (new)

Maryfaith | 1 comments Hi Heather,
I am in the Boston area and I have had a life long interest in Herbalism. Here are a few books on the subject that I am partial to....

1) Culpepper's Complete Herbal which is a comprehensive description of nearly all herbs with their medicinal properties.
/ISBN 0-572-00203-3

2)Wise Woman Herbal-Healing Wise by Susan Weed
This one is using wild herbs like Burdock and Dandelion and includes recipes.
ISBN:0-9614620-2-7

3)Cooking with Flowers by Zack Hanle
I really love this one and have used it loads over the years. Recipes like Day Lily Tempera, Elderflower Flapjacks and Candied Violets.

But you said that you wanted one that showed how to grow herbs..and the best one I know of is..

4) The New Age Herbalist: How to use herbs for healing, nutrition,body care and relaxation. With a complete illustrated glossary of herbs and a guide to herb cultivation.( The book is compiled by a variety of editors. The main one being Richard Mabey.)

Ths book is to die for! Once you have seen the incredible pictures and read the articles, you will want to start growing your own pots of herbs right away!

ISBN: 0-02-063350-5

Take care,

Maryfaith
Boston