Food and Fiction. discussion

Authors > Food fiction/cookery book writer?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 92 comments Mod
Do you have a favourite food fiction author or cookery book writer?

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Paula Deen..hands down. I am liking Ree Drummond more and more too!

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I really like the Ree Drummond Ashley and Sarah have a tizzy fit if I mention Paula sometimes they take that health food crap a little to far!

message 4: by Maria (last edited Jun 15, 2012 12:21PM) (new)

As you can see from the books at the bottom of the home page I love Antony Capella's and Sarah-Kate Lynch's books. Can anyone recommend authors who write in a similar vein?

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Also as you find books that you like if you make a shelf for your food books and then hit the Recommendations tab at the top of the page it will give you all kinds of books based on the shelf. It's a great function and can make your TBR list grow.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Thanks for the tips Dianne, I'll do that.

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Susan Mallery is going to have a cookbook out in time for the 2013 holidays (wondering if she means 2012)
FROM HER BLOG
It's official! Just in time for the 2013 holiday season, I will release a Fool's Gold cookbook with some favorite family recipes from the Land of Happy Endings!
I read her book
Already Home and enjoyed it. but I am not sure sbout her other books.

message 9: by Cath (new)

Cath | 4 comments If you like food writing, please please please familiarise yourself with the late Laurie Colin. Reading her books is always like a great big hug to me!

message 10: by Maria (last edited Aug 24, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Hi Cath. I've searched for Laurie Colin on Goodreads and Googled her but can't find anything. What did she write?

message 11: by Sariann (new)

Sariann Lehrer (choppedginger) | 11 comments I think Cath meant Laurie Colwin, who Dianne mentioned above.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Great, thanks.

message 13: by Cath (new)

Cath | 4 comments Hmmm, sorry about the typo! Have you read Heartburn, by Nora Ephron? If you like good foodie fiction, then you should!

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmathelemon) I just finished 'Blackberry Wine' by Joanne Harris today - it was stunning. Just like in 'Chocolat', she uses amazing, rich descriptions of food, but also of the French countryside and people. I can highly recommend her to anyone because she's not too heavy on any genre, even romance ;)

message 15: by GIZMO (last edited Aug 30, 2012 05:03AM) (new)

GIZMO (gizmosterriertorrent) | 4 comments Sariann wrote: "I think Cath meant Laurie Colwin, who Dianne mentioned above."

Thanks for bringing up Laurie Colwin ...I have both Home Cooking and More Home Cooking and I've read them both many times...her writing is wonderful and so are her recipes.

message 16: by Maria (last edited Aug 30, 2012 01:54PM) (new)

Emma *rootless* wrote: "I just finished 'Blackberry Wine' by Joanne Harris today - it was stunning. Just like in 'Chocolat', she uses amazing, rich descriptions of food, but also of the French countryside and people. I ca..."

I really enjoy Joanne Harris too, not least because she lives in a village near my home Town of Huddersfield and was born only a few miles away. (Actually that's got nothing to do with why I enjoy her books, just wanted to let you know I live near her)!