Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

Archived Off-Topic > Vote for the Hugos!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Jun 12, 2012 09:57AM) (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
A little off-topic since we're technically a mystery book club...but we've branched off enough that I figure you guys will probably be interested in this too.

As a primer: The Hugo awards are a fan voted award for speculative fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, whatever) that are voted on at the Wold Science Fiction Convention every year. It's like how the Anthony Awards are voted on by attendees of BoucherCon every year.

So! Cool deal: The convention organizers this year have arranged that all "members" of the convention get digital copies of all the nominated everything (books, novellas, graphics, etc, etc) so everyone will be able to review all the nominees before voting. And! They have an option to be a "supporting member" for $50, for those people who can't/don't want to actually attend the Con, but still want to have a voice in the Hugo voting. So $50 gets you e-copies of all the Hugo nominees this year and the ability to cast your own vote for the best of the year.

Check it out here.

I'm now thinking how seriously awesome it would be if BoucherCon membership came with the same deal.

message 2: by John (new)

John (jtb1951) | 549 comments Mod
This year's convention, the 70th World Science Fiction Convention, is being hosted by Chicago (as ChiCon 7), and auspiciously enough, starts on my birthday, August 30. I am planning on attending, not just to vote for the Hugos, but primarily for my selfish purpose of trying to get George R.R. Martin to autograph my 1st printing copy of A Game Of Thrones. (I can hope, can't I?) The majority of my reading material over the years has been of the science fiction & fantasy ilk, so the World Convention is a fan's paradise :-).

John.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat (pklein) | 302 comments John wrote: "This year's convention, the 70th World Science Fiction Convention, is being hosted by Chicago (as ChiCon 7), and auspiciously enough, starts on my birthday, August 30. I am planning on attending, n..."

Seriously...read that entire package in six weeks! I'd have to pull a Neil Gaimon to do it.

Fabulous idea, Erin, it would be wonderful if they could do that for the Boucher awards...there are such thoughtful readers in our group...if not,maybe we could volunteer as voters?

message 4: by Regan (new)

Regan | 87 comments I think it's a great idea. As a primarily audiobook reader, I probably wouldn't do it myself, but I can bet it would be popular.