Stepping Up Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Favorites

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla Black (goodreadscomcarlablack) | 7 comments Mod
What's your favorite book by or about a woman in music?

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments hmm. If this ends up being a duplicate...I apologize. I hate when comments don't get posted the first time around.

So my favorite book has to be Rock She Wrote because it was the first book that really brought my love for music and feminism together in a way that made sense. Before that, the two things were very seperate. I didn't think of music writing as a "thing" until I read that book. Why? who knows. I'm defunct somewhere.

After that it's Angry Women in Rock. I REALLY would like to see a new version for the 2000's published. Anyone wanna go in on a version 2.0 project with me? let's do it :)

Also...can we please please please make this a monthly group? I think this is the kind of group I've been needing! This group has my full and undivided attention! I totally love excuses to add books like these to my reading :)

message 3: by Carla (new)

Hey, Stephanie!! I love the idea of making this a monthly book club. I am brand new to Goodreads but I'm sure there is some way we can have a discussion - Skype or chat room or something.

message 4: by Carla (new)

Rock She Wrote was life changing for me as well.

message 5: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 1 comments Hey guys, I found this group through the girlgroup listserv. I think this is my dream book club...

I'm gonna put my 2 cents in for Out of the Vinyl Deeps - my introduction to Ellen Willis. That was my "holy crap" moment where it all - music, journalism, social commentary - came together for me.

I've been wanting to read Rock She Wrote but I haven't found a copy yet...maybe if there are a few of us in the same area (I'm NYC) we could set up a book exchange.

message 6: by Carla (new)

If you recommend it I'll add it to the list.