Food and Fiction. discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 92 comments Mod
Hi, my name is Maria. I'm married and a full time mum to 3 girls aged 7,9,and 11. I'm also an independent Avon rep and a Weight Watchers member assistant. I live in Yorkshire in the UK.
I created this group because I love reading food based fiction and I'm hoping there are some like minded book lovers out there.

message 2: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Hi! I am Connie, and I live in the South in the United States. I am married, and we have one son. I am a retired Pre-Ap English teacher, and now I tutor Japanese students, which I truly love doing.

I love to cook and have taken cooking classes whenever possible. Sometimes I plan vacations around special cooking classes. I love cookbooks and fiction based on food. I think this is a terrific idea for a group! I am so looking forward to reading together. : )

message 3: by Maria (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:23PM) (new)

Hi Connie, thanks for joining my new group. I'm quite new to Goodreads but I'm loving it. I searched for 'Food' in the search box for Groups but couldn't find anything like this one so thought I'd better start my own.I enjoy reading all kinds of books but I've a particular soft spot for food based fiction.
I love to cook too, in fact I've been known to combine my two loves of cooking and reading when I've stirred food on the hob and read at the same time!
I'd love to go on a foodie holiday, preferably a cookery holiday in Italy however funds don't allow at the moment.
Anyway I hope to get plenty more members for my new group so if you could invite some of your friends I'd be very grateful.
Thanks Connie. x

message 4: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I'll ask some of my friends. Thanks for the welcome. I am really excited about this group! Neat idea! So glad you formed the group!

message 5: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Hi I am Dianne, Connie led me to the group. I love cooking so dose my husband and we brought the love of it to are three kids, Ashley 24 Sarah 24 and Jim 21 all three are into health food. I live in California and am a book keeper for the family business. I love to read and cook I also always need some kind of music playing in the background.

message 6: by Anna Studstill (new)

Anna Studstill | 1 comments Hi I'm Anna! I live in the Mid-West, and I'm a graduate student studying Historical Administration (and job searching). I've really enjoy cooking and I also have a sometimes update a Healthy Living Blog.

My library this summer is doing an Adult Summer Reading Program all about Food and Books, so I wanted to join this group to get more ideas for books and such.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Hi I'm Susan from Wisconsin and I followed Connie here! I'm not stalking her, she invited me so hush up Dianne! Hahahaha I love to cook and bake and find new recipes to try! I like to tweak them and make them my own! We are moving to Illinois at the end of the month so I'll probably be quiet on the posts until next month but wanted to stop in and say hello!

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Hi Anna! Susan I was just thinking about getting you over here LOL! Are you going to like the new kitchen better the the old one? and I was not going to say a thing. really!!!!!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Well I have an electric stove now and at the new house it will be gas so I'm very excited! I burn too much stuff with the electric and there is nothing like broiled pork chops and steaks in a gas stove! Yummy!!

message 10: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 12, 2012 09:33PM) (new)

Ava Catherine Hi Anna! Your healthy food site sounds interesting.

Susan and Dianne, how could I ask one of you and not the other! Do you think I' m insane? Hahaha. ; )

message 11: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine BTW I also asked Naomi, but she may be too busy with other things.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Uh ohhhhhhh LOL!

message 13: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I want to know... do you gals know each other in person or just on line?
It seems like you have known each other sine Jr. high. :)

message 14: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Susan wrote: "Uh ohhhhhhh LOL!"

She might be busy but I see she joined anyway!

message 15: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Connie wrote: "I want to know... do you gals know each other in person or just on line?
It seems like you have known each other sine Jr. high. :)"

Online and what are you getting at? Susan is moving closer to Naomi so Naomi is busy taking care of that. HAHA. Me being on the West Coast I had somewhat of a scare when Susan was looking at Arizona. But she decided to terrorize Naomi instead!

message 16: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Found a new forum to harass you, Sue. Did you think I would miss out on that??? Never to busy for that!

message 17: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Connie wrote: "I want to know... do you gals know each other in person or just on line?

No, we just act like Junior Highers! We actually met through STB.

message 18: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) BTW..my name is Naomi Blackburn. I live in Burlington, IL. I am an avid food and drink concocter as well as cook and baker. I am constantly cooking something and love playing with food (as fresh as possible) and alcohol. I write a food blog called The Pub and Grub Forum and love to review cookbooks.

message 19: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Dianne wrote: "Connie wrote: "I want to know... do you gals know each other in person or just on line?

Online and what are you getting at? Susan is movi..."

BTW..thanks to Connie on giving the heads up on this group..I certainly didn't get it from Dianne or Sue D.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan You guys just made me spit my sprite on my iPhone! Haha thanks a lot! Connie we only know each other from here on GR but I'm about to change all that! Hehehe

We do act like jr. high schoolers! Isn't it great?

message 21: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Don't threaten me Sue D.! (tehehehe) Oh God..I really have to get those new house numbers on the house!! Come on' restraining order!!

message 22: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Sorry Naomi I personally was a little darling in JR High. I did want to know the point of making green eggs was and refused to do it. The kids went to the same schools Jim and I went to also and I went in and told the teacher that they would not be making green eggs either.

message 23: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Riiiigghhhttt! Now what would your teachers' side be! lol

message 24: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I did not have any under- lying meaning. I am just in awe of your close friendship. I think it is super! And I am not saying you act like Jr. high students...but that might be fun every now and then.
Dianne...we never made green eggs in school. But one time we had to figure how to get a boiled egg out of an old glass milk bottle without breaking the glass...something about air pressure/oxygen in bottle...strike a match and drop it inside and turn the bottle upside down. Funny what you remember from school.

message 25: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Her back end was pretty big so who knows!
The jr high economics class was not great at the school The high school economics teacher had to reteach. Sooo we had the kids taken out and put into shop.

message 26: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Connie wrote: "I did not have any under- lying meaning. I am just in awe of your close friendship. I think it is super! And I am not saying you act like Jr. high students...but that might be fun every now and th..."

I wonder if that had anything to do with pressure cooking?

message 27: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I just would not want to eat the green eggs! Ugg.

message 28: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) OK..what are green eggs...I thought it was just something California..sounds like it's not!

message 29: by Dianne (new)

Dianne It's scrambled eggs with green dye. something a 5 year old might like

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Its dr Seuss green eggs and ham no?

message 31: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Dianne wrote: "It's scrambled eggs with green dye. something a 5 year old might like"

And you did this in Junior High?

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan Hahahahaha!

message 33: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Yes, elementary students do it as an extended activity when reading Dr. Seuss.

message 34: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Nasty!

message 35: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Seeee what I am saying! She was so bad on the cooking the sewing and crafts she was ok with but I had the kids in the kitchen early and that class would have just taught them bad habits.

message 36: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I understand. I had a witch for Jr. high home ec. When I was sewing, I ran the sewing machine needle all the way through my finger. I showed it to her... blood running everywhere, finger already swelling, and the crazy witch just told me to put a bandwidth on it and finish my dress! When my mom came to get me at the end of the class, she was furious.
From then on my grandmother gave me sewing lessons.

message 37: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I still have that scar on my finger.

message 38: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine *bandaid

message 39: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Connie wrote: "I understand. I had a witch for Jr. high home ec. When I was sewing, I ran the sewing machine needle all the way through my finger. I showed it to her... blood running everywhere, finger already sw..."

OK..that made me cringe!

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Ouch!

message 41: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine But my high school home ec teacher was amazing

message 42: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine So, Dianne, I understand.
There is no way that witch would have taught my child. And I was a wonderful student; however, I hated that witch and because of that incident her class.

message 43: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I will really be the first to admit I was not the nicest person in jr high by the time I was in high school I was not going to a traditional high school the school would only allow 136 kids at a time. and besides the traditional course it was more based on the arts. have to love the late 70's and early 80's lol

message 44: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine 136 sounds like a dream school. We had around 2000 in my high school.

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan I graduated in a class of 129!

message 46: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I am envious.

message 47: by Dianne (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:01AM) (new)

Dianne LOL Connie that was a 136 teenagers who had views on art music and politics anything creative everyone of us the teachers had a problem teaching the main subjects to And say something about anything we created needed a little work...

message 48: by Sariann (new)

Sariann Lehrer (choppedginger) | 11 comments Hi everyone!
I'm Sariann, an avid reader and fiction-based cookbook author. I live in Boston, MA, and have too many books and kitchen gadgets for my own good. I have a passion for traditional and forgotten foods, as well as good books!

message 49: by Maria (new)

Well, hello to Dianne, Anna, Susan, Naomi and Sariann, and welcome. I hope you all enjoy the group. It's great to see a bit of banter going on.

message 50: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Hi, Sariann! We are glad you are here.

« previous 1