Volunteer State Book Award YA 2008-2009 discussion

Predict the winner...

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scot (last edited Jan 08, 2009 06:50PM) (new)

Scot (scot_reads_ya) | 1 comments Mod
I am going go out on a limb and predict that The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) by Rick Riordan will be the winner. I am surprised at how popular the series is with high schools. When we selected it, we thought of it as a "middle school" only type of book.

message 2: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) What is cool about this series is that it crosses not only gender differences but also age/grade differences. I've got 4th and 5th graders who love this series and are waiting anxiously for the next book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Scot wrote: "I am going go out on a limb and predict that [bc:The Lightning Thief|28187|The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)|Rick Riordan|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I......"

you're probably right, but I have to say that I think Monkey Town is a possibility....at least from my school's perspective

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha Even though my HS students are not participating this year, I'm so glad to see more nominations for males to enjoy. I think it would be a great plus for the VSBA program if a book like The Lightning Thief won. I agree of its popularity, we have several students who are closely following this series.

message 5: by Diane R. (new)

Diane R. Chen (dianerchen) | 1 comments I love "Rules of Survival" also. It reaches a different audience of students. IN fact, I blogged about it on SLJ http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/b...

I would love to see Nancy Werlin as a guest author for TASL.

message 6: by Naples (new)

Naples | 1 comments I love them all! And I'm glad that we now have this forum to discuss them - although this is my first post. Thanks for setting this up, Scot. I also loved "Rules of Survival", but still haven't decided on my favorite yet.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1 comments I'm so glad you created this Scot! I agree about the Lightning Thief as a winner, but I also liked Monkeytown and Hattie Big Sky. It will be fun to see who wins. Take care,
Michele

Volunteer State Book Award YA 2008-2009

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lightning Thief (other topics)