Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Reading Challenges > Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) If you have any suggestions for the categories for quarterly challenges, or new challenges, please feel free to comment here.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) I love the idea of the shaving challenge. I wasn't a member last year so that's definitely one I hope you recycle at some point! :)

message 3: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Read a book published the year you were born, for a quarterly challenge category.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Theo wrote: "Read a book published the year you were born, for a quarterly challenge category."

Theo, it might be difficult to find YA from years and decades past. YA became a hit only a few years ago.

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (livingisreading) Read a book that features an unreliable narrator or one that has a twist ending?

message 6: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Maybe instead, there could be a category to read a YA novel from a specific decade, like the 80s or 90s.

This idea came to my mind because I recently read a couple of YA books from the year I was born (1983, Running Loose and Alanna: The First Adventure--both checked out from my local public library).

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) I like the idea of encouraging people to pick up some older books that don't get as much attention anymore as the newer stuff, whether it be a category for a specific decade like 80s or 90s, or something like "read a book that was published more than 5|10|15 years ago" or some such.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Read a book that wasn't chosen for the YA monthly read. I think it's been done before, but it was a good one.

Also reading an non-paranormal adventure book. Like the previously mentioned Alanna series. No Gods, magicians, vamps etc.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia | 432 comments I like the idea Theo of reading a book published in the year the reader was born, but I have technical question. How does one set up gr's search protocol to look for that?

Similarly with unrelibable narrators. I've read and loved Liar and I know The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn qualifies, but otherwise, I got no idea. Well, there's The Catcher in the Rye, too.

BTW, Theo, Running Loose is fabulous.

message 10: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Julia wrote: "I like the idea Theo of reading a book published in the year the reader was born, but I have technical question. How does one set up gr's search protocol to look for that?

Similarly with unreliba..."

I agree with both your points, that's why I am leaning towards suggesting to read just an older YA book, decade or more.

As for unreliable narrator, it indeed can be tricky, considering you normally get that sort of knowledge after finishing the book. However, there might be some GR lists for that. I'll look into it.

message 11: by Theo (new)

Theo | 116 comments Julia wrote: "I like the idea Theo of reading a book published in the year the reader was born, but I have technical question. How does one set up gr's search protocol to look for that?

Similarly with unreliba..."

I definitely see the difficulty in finding titles, especially in older years. I did Google searching and used the "Popular Books by Date" on Goodreads, where you have to identify the YA titles with more searching. I think the point of my original idea (reading older YA stuff) would work well with a more generic time period that would make identifying titles easier.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Read a YA book that is personal to you, ie that you can relate to.

message 13: by Kari (new)

Kari | 15 comments I personally really like Spell challenges too. Like take and spell out your name in titles/authors initials or spelling out random words that go with the month, close holidays, young adult terms, etc.

The challenge group I am a member of also does a countdown challenge. So for example for 2012 you read 12 books that were published in 2012, 11 from 2011, 10 from 2010, etc all the way down to 2001. we could limit the years of course.

We are also doing a name challenge. Our mod took a bunch of hurricane names and made a list of them and we have to see how many characters in our books match up to the list. Since she is only giving up 6 months for 200 names we get to use multiple names per book.

All of these have been really fun to participate in!

Also the SOS - Serious Overload of Series group has been doing a bookshelf Bingo that a lot of people are always interested in. Something like that might be fun to start up here as well.

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 58 comments Kari wrote: "I personally really like Spell challenges too. Like take and spell out your name in titles/authors initials or spelling out random words that go with the month, close holidays, young adult terms, ..."

What's bookshelf bingo? sounds like it could be cool. I love the idea of the character name challenge!

message 15: by Emily May (new)

Emily May (emily-may) Okay, well I've had a few thoughts for the Fall quarterly challenge and decided to suggest a few:

1) Halloween - read a book with a supernatural MC.

2) Labor Day - read a book with a (mostly) white cover (before it's too late).

3) Columbus Day - Seeing as this day is a celebration for "discovering" the "new world", read a book that is set in an alternate world/universe.

4) Remembrance Day - This is celebrated throughout the commonwealth to remember soldiers who died during the first world war. But seeing as we've just had one about war, perhaps read something featuring soldiers of some kind?

5) October 11 is National Coming Out Day - so read a book with a gay/lesbian/bi character.

6) International Men's Day (Nov 19) - read a book with a male protagonist (unless this has already been done).

7) Nanowrimo - National Novel Writing Month is about quantity rather than quality so read a book with over 500 (or whatever) pages.

Just a few ideas, feel free to ignore them if they don't appeal :)

message 16: by Kari (new)

Kari | 15 comments Michelle the bookshelf bingo is where they create a couple teams and each team gets a bingo card that has different shelves on the card. a shelf will be called each week and each person on your team reads a book off that shelf. Once you all read a book you get a stamp on your card. First team to get a bingo wins. It is a lot of fun and a great way to meet people. If you are interested in seeing how it is check out either the Crazy Challenge Connection group or SOS serious overload of series groups :)

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 58 comments Kari wrote: "Michelle the bookshelf bingo is where they create a couple teams and each team gets a bingo card that has different shelves on the card. a shelf will be called each week and each person on your tea..."

thanks 4 answering, that does sound fun!!!!!!!

message 18: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments How about 'Read a YA book that has been translated to English'?

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I love the idea of the countdown challenge. That would be a great year long challenge to go along with A-Z challenge.

message 20: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Okay, well I've had a few thoughts for the Fall quarterly challenge and decided to suggest a few:

1) Halloween - read a book with a supernatural MC.

2) Labor Day - read a book with a (mostly) whi..."

If you don't mind I am using these!!

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) It's a little late now, but I was going to suggest a book with a hispanic main character for Hispanic Heritage Month (which is Sept 15-Oct 15). REFORMA has a list they just did:
http://reforma.org/teen_titles

message 22: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (For the next challenge)
Read a book that you have meant to re-read for a really long time but never had the chance to do so?
:)

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) For the winter quarterly challenge:

Book featuring winter activity or with a wintery title/cover
Since winter has short days, read a short story or an anthology of short stories
A book by an author you've never read before

For 2013, instead of an ABC challenge, I definitely like the idea of the spelling challenge or the shaving challenge (reading a certain % of the books on your TBR list)

message 24: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Love the suggestions!! Especially since I am awful at thinking them up! At least Kim is also here to help

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Angie wrote: "Love the suggestions!! Especially since I am awful at thinking them up! At least Kim is also here to help"

I think multiple heads are definitely better than one. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

message 26: by Keehn (new)

Keehn (powell_thom) I think you should put up a poll asking how long you are willing to wait for a sequel without losing interest!

message 27: by Jenn (last edited Nov 12, 2012 07:56PM) (new)

Jenn | 9 comments How about "Read a YA book that deals with war"? For a late Veteran's Day challenge. A book written by a woman? YA romance for Valentines day? Political YA for president's day (it has a list here on GR)? Something honoring Martin Luther King's birthday?

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 58 comments I personally like the when the challenge choices have something to do with the book covers. Like a book with a heart or lips on the cover for valentines day? or how we did the white book, maybe pick a different color like purple or green? I find it fun to pick books based on covers sometimes :)

message 29: by Mary (last edited Nov 28, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Book Blog) wrote: "I find it fun to pick books based on covers sometimes :)"

Me too, Michelle! Maybe the group 2013 challenge could be like the Cover Game thread where we come up with x number of cover clues and everybody picks a book with each clue on the cover.

For example, my list might look like:
Apple: Twilight
Butterfly: Stolen
Heart: Triple Shot Bettys in Love

but someone else might have:
Apple: Fairest
Butterfly: Beautiful Disaster
Heart: Sea of Love

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 58 comments Mary wrote: "Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Book Blog) wrote: "I find it fun to pick books based on covers sometimes :)"

Me too, Michelle! Maybe the group 2013 challenge could be like the Cover Game thread where we ..."

LOVE THAT IDEA!!!

message 31: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Mary wrote: "Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Book Blog) wrote: "I find it fun to pick books based on covers sometimes :)"

Me too, Michelle! Maybe the group 2013 challenge could be like the Cover Game thread where we ..."

I really like that idea, too. I'm up for it! :)

message 32: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 9 comments Going off the Cover Thread idea, what about Cover Bingo?

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) | 58 comments Jenn wrote: "Going off the Cover Thread idea, what about Cover Bingo?"

Yes someone said cover bingo before and i thought it sounded cute as well :)

message 34: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Great ideas!!

message 35: by *Layali* (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) | 94 comments One of my reading goals for 2013 was to read more classics, do you think for the next quarterly challenge or monthly group read that we can have a classic implemented? :)

message 36: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

That's a good idea... I want to read more classics myself!

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) I think we can add it to the next quarterly challenge. I'll just have to remember :)

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) Are there "classic" ya titles other than Catcher in the Rye?

message 40: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  | 7 comments Does anybody knows how to post a discussion?

message 43: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Zoey wrote: "Does anybody knows how to post a discussion?"

Not sure what you mean?

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) I don't mean to be a totally negative nancy here, but I've noticed we're reusing a lot of previously-completed challenge themes. Meanwhile, there are some really great suggestions here that are being ignored. I know you mods are really busy and everything, and I totally appreciate all the hard work you guys do for us. I just wish we could use some of the newer, fresher ideas for challenges. :)

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Mary wrote: "I don't mean to be a totally negative nancy here, but I've noticed we're reusing a lot of previously-completed challenge themes. Meanwhile, there are some really great suggestions here that are bei..."

Can you please explain what you mean?

Are you saying that we're not using the quarterly challenge ideas suggested? The challenge suggestion question was originally intended for suggestions for the quarterly challenge and I'm doing my best to implement those suggestions (I added Classics this last time, for example, and have added several cover options). Do you think I'm falling short of this? The quarterly challenge is really popular and I'd hate to be falling short of expectations.

Or do you want more options of types of challenges besides A-Z and Quarterly?

Sorry, but I am really taking this seriously. I spend a lot of time coming up with quarterly challenges that use popular and newer elements. I'm pretty sure I've tried to use all of the suggestions here at one point or the other. So, some explanation is appreciated.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) I mean we already did travel-inspired and humorous reads in recent quarterly challenges. Above, someone suggested a translated book, and I loved your idea of books for corresponding history months (Hispanic, African American, etc), and Emily May's suggestions of using National [whatever] Day (coming out, men, waffle, llama, etc). Cover bingo sounded great too.

I'm not trying to be a pain, truly. I know you really do work hard, and I love participating in the challenges! Maybe we could start a thread tracking all the quarterly challenge requirements like with the master book list, or keep track of them here even, just so we know what we've already done.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Mary wrote: "I mean we already did travel-inspired and humorous reads in recent quarterly challenges. Above, someone suggested a translated book, and I loved your idea of books for corresponding history months ..."

I do refer to older quarterly challenges and thought that, because humor and travel were more than a year ago, that many would enjoy doing them again. I do appreciate your suggestions and will take them under advisement.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) :) And that's all any of us can ask for.

message 49: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jun 21, 2013 03:40AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments So. I have thought a little about the next challenge and would like to make suggestions, that fit the months in question. I used only international days not national ones. Maybe you like some of them, Kim:

Read a book about pirates or seafaring people (International Talk Like a Pirate Day, September 19th, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internat...)

Read an epistolary novel or a real correspondance in letters because of World Post Day (October 9th, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Po...)

Read a book that takes place in Outer Space (World Space Week, http://www.worldspaceweek.org/wsw/ind..., October 4th – 10th)

Read a novel about cooking or about someone who works in a restaurant or bar or diner (World Pasta Day, October 25th http://www.pasta-unafpa.org/pasta-day...

Read something with an umbrella or with rain on the cover.

If there are challenges that have already been done: Pardon! I started participationg with number 6, I believe.

And I still suggest reading
- something translated
and maybe
-something independently published / self-published.

message 50: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 98 comments Another idea: Read a book with a title consisting of five words or more.

« previous 1