The Sword and Laser discussion

Free online summer course on fantasy and science fiction

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2858 comments I took a free computer science course through Stanford earlier this summer and was really impressed by the interactive nature of the lectures and assignments. One of my favorite science fiction literature professors, Dr. Eric Rabkin at the University of Michigan, is offering one called "Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World." You can sign up here.

I'm definitely taking it!

message 2: by Todd (new)

Todd (goofusmcnoofus) | 8 comments I am already signed up for that one and also A History of the World Since 1300 and Greek and Roman Mythology. I may be overextending but it will be fun.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K I signed up too!

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Me, too. but it might interfere with my Tolkien course...

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Thanks for the tip, this looks really interesting.
I do have to admit, with English not being my first language I wonder if I'll be able to keep up... Then again, there's probably only one way to find out.

message 6: by Seawood (new)

Seawood That looks wonderful (as do a lot of the other courses!). Roughly how much work do they take, do you know? It says "brief essay" but it's been a long, long time since I've done any study...don't want to overface myself.

Probably a dumb question but I presume they take foreigners? I don't see anything in the FAQ which specifies "must be a US citizen".

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2858 comments Well you don't get any credit or anything, and they can't make you do the work!

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Caroline wrote: "That looks wonderful (as do a lot of the other courses!). Roughly how much work do they take, do you know? It says "brief essay" but it's been a long, long time since I've done any study...don't wa..."

They accept anyone over 18 :) I'm no US citizen either and I was able to sign up for several courses. In the video for the Social Sciences 101 course the professor even expressed his hope to get many students from all over the world.

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Thank you!

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Scott (tjscott978) | 31 comments I'm signed up for this too. I'm really looking forward to reading all these books. I'm a little nervous about the essay, but I'm hoping it's like a riding a bike and I'll remember how it all works.

message 11: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Patricia wrote: "They accept anyone over 18 :) I'm no US citizen either and I was able to sign up for several courses. In the video for the Social Sciences 101 course the professor even expressed his hope to get many students from all over the world. "

Ok, you convinced me - I'm in :)

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Glad that the class is reading The Martian Chronicles, which is perfect timing with Ray Bradbury's death, and it may become our July laser read.

message 13: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 52 comments Over at the Vaginal Fantasy Hangout we were talking about having a thread for discussions and maybe some hangouts, and Caroline thought it would be a good idea to start a separate group so we don't all have to cross post if we end up discussing in both groups.

So I made a group! http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

I'm taking a coursera course at the moment and discussions move FAST, so I think it'll be fun to have a smaller group and have some more in depth discussion. Feel free to share the group with anyone else on Goodreads that's taking the course!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Just a friendly little reminder; it is still possible to sign up for this course over at coursera.

I've started a couple of other courses in the meantime and while the different universities have different approaches to their online courses, I am definitely enjoying it so far. Has me even more excited for the start of this course

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Martian Chronicles (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ray Bradbury (other topics)