Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brian Brian Dailey

Mrs. Ebarvia

World lit

12/3/07

Angels and Demons
Angels and Demons is written by Dan Brown. Dan Brown is a very talented author who has written many great stories including The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point, and Digital Fortress.
Angels and Demons was a very interesting book to me. Usually when I try to read books that are around 700 pages I get very bored but with Angels and Demons I was hooked from beginning to end. Some of the things that interested me were all the different locations in the book. It was almost as if it was a tour of Vatican City hidden in throughout the story. The two main characters, Robert Langdon and Vittoria Vetra, visit sites including the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s square, The Church of Santa Maria and many more. Dan Brown also did a good job of making you think one thing throughout the story and at the second when you least expect it, he throws a twist at you. When I first read The Da Vinci Code I loved it but now that I have read Angels and Demons, I know which of Dan Brown’s books I like the most, Angels and Demons.
There are not many characteristics that I do not like about this book but the only thing that I can complain about is that at the end of the book it took forever to end. I felt that Dan Brown, in a way, just rambled on about topics that I felt were not relevant to the story. Dan Brown should have gotten to the point at the end of the story rather than writing about the irrelevant topics at the end of the novel, this only one fault by Dan Brown in writing a great book.
Despite its one weakness Angels and Demons is a great book and enjoyable to read. At first I wasn’t sure if I would like this book because of its length but a soon as a picked it up I was hooked, and I couldn’t put it down. I recommend this book to all readers and even if you like to read books on the shorter side, I still recommend this great book.

message 2: by Wes (new)

Wes Cuffe Not bad but a little shallow, liked "The Rule of Four" better, and Cryptomicron

Enno I also liked Angels and Demons better, may be because of the hype that all surrounded Davinci Code, but I thought this had a better story line.

Spiffing I really enjoy all of his books. But after a point (for me it was after reading the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons) a kind of guilty pleasure sets in. It felt a bit like a TV dinner... if you get what I mean. Easy and entertaining but nothing new or particularly exciting.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed reading angels and demons its one of my favorite books

Mary Spencer I enjoyed Angles and Demons better than Da Vinci Code.

Megamarie *nodded* Da Vince Code for is boring. Angels and Demons on the other hand was a lot of fun. I totally enjoyed it.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

same

message 9: by Tad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tad Angels and Demons was ok, but nothing special. I am grateful that it was disappointing enough that I felt no desire to ever read the DaVinci Code.

message 10: by Mary (last edited Apr 18, 2011 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Spencer I must say you missed out on a great novel. Both books are based on the world religion of Christianity.

Most importantly Angles and Demons debunk Catholoicisim in great detail.

DaVinci Code opens new thought to what Catholoicisim has taught for centuries.

Both give serious thought to your beliefs. This upsets many people, to think out side the box or choose not to read the books.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess those books well not great writing touched on definitive ideals and dogmas which made them sensational and a great read. From the perspective of shaking things up, they did a great job. Dan Brown did a decent job but not a literary giant or anything. Just entertainment that got attention.

message 12: by Tad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tad #10

I didn't need Dan Brown to come along to give serious thoughts to my beliefs. And I was perfectly capable of debunking Catholicism without a third-rate author to show me the way.

Bottom line is I just didn't find the novel very well-written or very entertaining.

Jessica For me, I was much more pleased with Angels and Demons than The DaVinci Code. Perhaps it's just because I love Italy and architecture more than France and art, but I felt like this book had more of a puzzle-quality to it. And for the record, I was extremely disappointed with The Lost Symbol. Anyone else feel the same?

Brandon I probably enjoyed Angels and Demons better, but that may be I was so tired of hearing about The Da Vinci Code by the time I got around to reading it.

For the most part, though, I didn't find them to be terribly different. It just feels like Dan Brown used the same template for each book, just substituting different enemies and locations in each one. Sophie and Vittoria are pretty much the same character, serving the same role, even down to the fact that they are both related to the character who gets murdered in the first act.

Because of that, I've had a hard time developing any interest in reading The Lost Symbol, although I have to say I have been curious to see if he just played Mad Libs with this one as well.

Geoffrey Right on Tad. I`m in complete agreement. He`s taking too many pot shots below the belt that are simply not fair. And I`m not Catholic.

Susan I found Angels & Demons fascinating. I finished the book in no time. I took many notes and researched some of the historical elements to the book which only strengthened my belief system. I haven't read the Da Vinci Code....I put it on the shelf because I already saw the movie. Having a slow time reading the Lost Symbol.

message 17: by Hina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hina I too was facinated by the history in Angels and Demons. That was one of the main aspects I liked beside the action. The whole Illuminati brotherhood was very intreguing. I haven't read any others in the series, but I have read Digital Fortress which I found to be slightly more enjoyable than this. Maybe because that was just a standalone book with double the action?

Sarah Davison Can someone explain something to me please? In Angels and Demons (which is meant to be the first of the 3 chronologically) at the end -SPOILER- he hops into bed with Vittoria and they seem perfectly happy together. Then in Da Vinci Code which is meant to be second Vittoria is completely forgotten and he's pouncing on Sophie... did I miss something or is Robert Langdon headed for player of the year?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

kjqbn adlm, as,m a,mk,smb
thats code - see if you can figure it out =)

Geoffrey I`ve deciphered Davina`s cryptic message.

Langdon is a stinking philander.

shameena veerasa one of my favys....

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

ERR UURGGHHH! Geoffrey is wrong, can we have the next contestant please?!

Geoffrey Oh, so it actually means something? You didn`t just throw up some letters on the board?

Brandon Davina is part of a seceret Qwerty cabal!

message 25: by Krizza (new) - added it

Krizza Sombra i admire Langdon here..

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2011 08:13AM) (new)

that there is a NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT REAL code
work that out! ;)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't be a cabal - I had to google this word:
(a small group of secret plotters, against a government or person)
I'm already an assassin (read my profile and do your research properly!), I can find you quite easily, if I want to. Keep that in mind...

Sarah Davison Davina sounds pretty serious! Haha!

shameena veerasa Sarah wrote: "Can someone explain something to me please? In Angels and Demons (which is meant to be the first of the 3 chronologically) at the end -SPOILER- he hops into bed with Vittoria and they seem perfectl..."

it is something like the james bond series. the hero exist. everything else is a story..., it changes...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Langdon is such a player, i agree - read my review of The lost symbol, i bring up quite a few points of Langdon's slutiness! i do have to tell you, Davina's abit of a weirdo, the code makes no sense at all, she just wants you to waste her time!

Maritza Sarah wrote: "Davina sounds pretty serious! Haha!"

she sounds more silly than serious. has anyone read her profile...oh please. girl.... hang it up!

Maritza Aysha wrote: "Langdon is such a player, i agree - read my review of The lost symbol, i bring up quite a few points of Langdon's slutiness! i do have to tell you, Davina's abit of a weirdo, the code makes no sens..."

I agree with your opinion of davina :) @davina...no offense sweetie

message 33: by Hina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hina Honestly, don't judge Davina by her weirdness she is smart. I think her weirdness is one of this things that makes her awesome.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited May 20, 2011 08:39AM) (new)

Maritza wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Davina sounds pretty serious! Haha!"

she sounds more silly than serious. has anyone read her profile...oh please. girl.... hang it up!"

Oh please...I'm not going to get offended by someone I don't know. So sweetie if you don't like my personality that's your problem. Girl, I Siriusly I got to go now, I'm needed for another mission.
OVER AND OUT!!

=P

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh and to anyone who did care (which I think is 0 people) The answer was that was NOT a real code! taaaddaaa!

=P

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hina wrote: "Honestly, don't judge Davina by her weirdness she is smart. I think her weirdness is one of this things that makes her awesome."

Thank You, you're ginaff!

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited May 19, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Aysha wrote: "Langdon is such a player, i agree - read my review of The lost symbol, i bring up quite a few points of Langdon's slutiness! i do have to tell you, Davina's abit of a weirdo, the code makes no sens..."

Wait a min, why would I ask someone to waste MY time =/
Now you don't make sense

=P

Mehwish Kayani Mary wrote: "I must say you missed out on a great novel. Both books are based on the world religion of Christianity.

Most importantly Angles and Demons debunk Catholoicisim in great detail.

DaVinci Code..."

Totally endorse your views..
I really liked the books as they have placed the reality in short and simple words. History has never been so entertaining as the way Dan has made it to the readers.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Davina wrote: "Maritza wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Davina sounds pretty serious! Haha!"

she sounds more silly than serious. has anyone read her profile...oh please. girl.... hang it up!"

Oh please...I'm not going to..."

DAVINA.. LOOOL!
I actually can't stop laughing SWEETIE!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Maritza wrote: "Aysha wrote: "Langdon is such a player, i agree - read my review of The lost symbol, i bring up quite a few points of Langdon's slutiness! i do have to tell you, Davina's abit of a weirdo, the code..."

I didn't mean her being weird makes her stupid or anything... Davina's Davina!

BTW, Davina? HOW'S THE TOP SECRET MISSION THAT, NOW, EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT?

message 41: by Abbey (last edited Jun 10, 2011 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbey Wangler I really enjoyed this book and I usually hate mysteries. I really like how it keeps you guessing, you know what I mean?