Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > Non-Shoujo Manga

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your favorite non-shoujo manga series?

I've read/seen some InuYasha, but I haven't finished the series. I've also read some shounen-ai, my favorites being Boy Princess, Let Dai, and Gravitation. I am going to try to read more shounen manga, but I mostly read shoujo manga. Does anyone have any good recommendations of shounen manga?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I would recommend One Piece, if love Pirates ^^

message 3: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments I like

Hikaru no Go. Young boy finds an old go board in his grandfather's attic and wants to sell it for money. A ghost comes out and haunts him until he lets him play Go. While helping out the ghost Hikaru finds himself falling in love with the game.

Hunter X Hunter. Another young boy goes off to become a hunter to find his father. He meets a great cast of characters and they have to do wits and skill pitted against hundreds of others all trying to become hunters. Some are more evil than others.

Naruto and Bleach I'm lumping together because despite their overhype, they are both good.

Devil X Devil. While fighting each other an angel and a devil fall to earth and are put in the bodies of brothers. The devil goes into the body of the weak nerdy brother and the angel goes into the body of the bad boy brother. I love this one!

Dear Boys. It's a basketball comic and I love it.

Prince of Tennis. Son of a champion Tennis player joins the Seigaku school and tennis club as the first freshman to play on the regulars team and actually compete. It's really all the characters that bring this together. I admit to liking the anime more, if only for the Prince of Bowling and Prince of Table Tennis filler episodes.

Gokusen. I really love all versions of this, the manga, the anime and the many live action TV series. The heroine is the granddaughter of the head of a yakuza family and she's the heir. Really she wants to be a school teacher but she has to hide who she is because they'd never hire her. As it is, she's assigned to the worst deliquents as their homeroom teacher. She doesn't have a problem though because they are nothing compared to her family.

It's kind of an action/comedy/sort of love story.

Mai the Psychic Girl. This is really old but good story about a girl who is psychic and people are trying to test her and use her to do bad things.

Area 88. Another favorite. Guy going to be a commercial airline pilot and going to marry the love of his life but his best friend is jealous of him and takes him out to get drunk and signs him up as a mercenary pilot in a foreign war in the middle east. He's got to make enough money fighting in the war to buy out his contract so he can go home.

Narutaru. Not to be confused with Naruto. This is the most evil comic/anime you will ever read/watch.

It looks so cute and innocent about a young girl who finds a strange creature in the shape of a starfish that she can ride on and fly through the air. But really this show hints and outright comes through with emotional and physical abuse, bullying, murder etc etc.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I will have to check those out. Thanks guys.

message 5: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Here are my long time favs since they got me in depth of shounen!
Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 1 by Nobuhiro Watsuki Yu Yu Hakusho by Yoshihiro Togashi Flame of Recca, Vol. 01 (Flame of Recca, #1) by Nobuyuki Anzai

message 6: by Hannah (new)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been seeing Black Butler everywhere. It looks like it has some pretty good reviews and ratings.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments It has a sort of confusing plot, but it's still good nonetheless:)

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan M | 12 comments I just started reading Kekkaishi, Vol. 1 and it's really good! It's a good mix of humor and action.

message 10: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Black Butler <3

I am a devilishly talented butler ;)

message 11: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Yesterday I started Black Butler. I am liking it very much so far! And also I started my first yaoi **blushes**: The Royal Fiancee.

message 12: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yay!! Loove it! Ciel is sooooooo....!

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Haha, love your description of Ciel, Harshini:P

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Sakura Yue wrote: "Yesterday I started Black Butler. I am liking it very much so far! And also I started my first yaoi **blushes**: The Royal Fiancee."

Ha! How was it?:P

message 15: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments The yaoi? Terrible, not recommended. But Black Butler... WOW, I am obsessed now. This weekend I bought a chibi Sebby this one and I am so happy! Kyaaaa

message 16: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
D.Gray-man: Opening, Vol. 1 is one of my personal favorites. If you start reading it, though, give it until after the "Rewinding City" story (book 3). It improves HUGELY (not that it was bad at the start).

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I just read Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1) by Daisuke Igarashi a few days ago and it is excellent! The artwork is beautiful. It has actual backgrounds! The characters all feel like real people, rather than, well, characters. They have faults, which I find refreshing. The story is really amazing, too. I am really glad I pick this up. If you get the opportunity to read it, I highly recommend it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Inuyasha
Pokemon
Black Butler
Durarara!!
Naruto
Bleach

message 19: by Ash (new)

Ash | 42 comments Bleach, Durarara, Fullmetal Alchemist(it is considered Shounen, isn't it), Ghost in the Shell. I could go on but I just love most anime & manga.