Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > Fair Use Law

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aggie (new)

Aggie Villanueva (myaggie2) Hello! I glad to join you today. And believe it or not, I have a question!

Are any of you familiar enough with the Fair Use Clause of our Copyright laws to give advice? I've reread it dozens of times, and one time I think I can use my examples as Fair Use and the next reading I think I can't.

I need to quote 1-sentence to 1-paragraph from various works for my book teaching the craft of rewriting. So, these short examples I want to use, would basically be showing the wrong way to write it. I use mostly my own mistakes as examples, but that gets old.

I've emailed all the writers asking permission but none have answered. I can't blame them, though I am very delicate in the book and stress that all writers do it wrong, that's why the craft of the rewrite is so vital, and that perfection cannont be obtained in the written word.

I need advice. Can anyone help me?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome, Aggie!

Librarians, help her!

Aggie, I would assume as long as you cite said references you should be ok, but I could be wrong.

message 3: by Aggie (new)

Aggie Villanueva (myaggie2) Thank you, Randomanthony. I may not have given enough detail. Here is a letter I just sent an author friend who has published blogs on Fair Use. This may explain my dilema better:

I've reread it dozens of times, and one time I think I can use my examples as Fair Use and the next reading I think it says I can't.

I need to quote 1-sentence to 1-paragraph from various works for my book teaching the craft of rewriting. This book will be self-published and offered for sale. These short examples I want to use, would basically be showing the wrong way to write. I use mostly my own mistakes as examples, but that gets old fast.

I've emailed all the writers asking permission but none have answered. I can't blame them if they even got the email through the site, though I am very delicate in the book and stress that all writers do it wrong, that's why the craft of the rewrite is so vital, and that perfection cannont be obtained in the written word, at least in the English language.

The examples I want to use are all from online article submission sites that stiputlate that you may freely reprint the articles without permission, but only in full, and of course, I only want to use a few sentences.

My book is for educational use which is allowed under fair use, but it's also for profit, not in a school setting. The more I reread the fair use clause the more confused I get. Do you have any advice for me?