Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > How Did You Get Into Manga?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What exactly got you into manga/anime?

I liked Sailor Moon and Pokemon before I knew what anime was. Later on my cousin showed me InuYasha, so I decided to check out the manga. It was all I read until I picked up a copy of Shojo Beat magazine. Absolute Boyfriend was being serialized at the time, and I took an interest in it. I ended up reading the whole first volume, then branched out from there. So, I'd have to say that Absolute Boyfriend is what got me interested in manga, but InuYasha was always a bit of an influence.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sailer Moon and Naruto is the ones I watched in anime...later I read Naruto in manga, I would say that got me manga ^^

message 3: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments I picked up Shonen Jump, read the preview for D. Gray-Man and wanted to read the rest. I also wanted to know what happens ahead in Naruto and couldn't wait patiently for the next episode.

message 4: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I watched a lot of anime and then I decided to pick up manga eventually!

message 5: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Right now I am re-watching Sakura Card Captor (after 10-years). I am feeling a little nostalgic because I am almost done with the series, that is why I started to look for other animes in the web. Then I found a pretty cool website where I can read mangas online! So now I am addicted :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Manga is addicting, especially since you can finish them so fast.

message 7: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments I got into manga when...

Long ago I watched Sailor Moon and they have VHS releases at Toys R Us and inside those VHS tape boxes was a form to sign up for Mixxzine which was publishing Sailor Moon. Which I did. From there I discovered Magic Knight Rayearth, which was also being published, and Parasyte. There was another one but I didn't like it so didn't read it.

Eventually Sailor Moon moved to Smile magazine which was half the size of Mixx and mostly involved clothing and other stuff which I didn't care for. By that time Sailor Moon was being released as a graphic novel so I canceled my subscription for Smile really early.

But that started it and when I eventually went online I found a whole world of scanlated manga.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I a lot of us have started with Sailor Moon. It's a classic. :)

message 9: by Candylover13 (new)

Candylover13 | 9 comments i first watched Naruto with my older sister and later moved on to more anime and i first read Hana Kimi which my sister owns which lead me to reading manga so basically it all came through my sister though i am currently more obsessed than her and like reading manga better than watching anime

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I'd scanned the manga shelves at the bookstore (AGES ago) and I saw Black Butler. It looked interesting, and I almost bought it, but then I decided against it.

And then when I was surfing the web, I randomly stumbled upon the anime for it. Since I'd seen it at the store, my curiosity was piqued (you know, by association and whatnot). I watched it, and it was so addicting, I had to tell my friend. She said she'd seen and loved it too, after which she recommended Fruits Basket, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Inuyasha, and Soul Eater. I watched the first two and loved them both as well, which got me started on anime.

And then when I was on GR one day, I saw a comment from Wednesday mentioning this group, and I thought I'd check it out. I read the first volume of Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, and while I didn't think it was the best manga out there, I still loved the style of it. It was like discovering a new way to read!:)

Anywho, yeah; thus begins my dissection of the manga genre. Black Bird and Skip Beat are next on my TBR pile:D

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments Started with Sailor moon when I was younger. Then I started to watch a lot of other anime. I saw the Sailor moon manga in the book store a few months ago. It was the first manga I read. I really enjoyed it and decided to read some others. It is becoming terribly addicting!

message 12: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Okay I think Sailor Moon has become a must watch/read for me!
anyone here ever watched Pokemon? I think that was my first

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments My uncle is a Pokemon fan, but I myself haven't seen too much:(

message 14: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Well, I won't recommend the new Pokemon series, but the original first seasons were amazing! I love Pokemon till today, but I guess that's because I have been watching it /playing it for like a decade now :)
I know I am pretty sentimental *sigh*

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that the original seasons are the best. The series just keeps dragging on and on. My boyfriend and I attempted to watch all the seasons, but we're not very far.

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I like pokemon. I really have not watched it since the orignal season. I still love to play the games though :)

message 17: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments I never liked pokemon, but I did love Digimon. I have a ton of the little figures, they're just so darn cute. I couldn't imagine trying to watch it now. The manga for that was completely different from the show also. Kinda cute.

message 18: by Candylover13 (new)

Candylover13 | 9 comments i love both of them so i watched them but back then i thought they were just regular cartoons since i live in a america and watched them on cartoon network

message 19: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments @Jamie the games are still amazing, the Pokemon, the adventures and the attacks just the best damn thing!

@Marajean never got to watching Digimon much. I am a little dis-heartened since its one of those that you have to watch when you're young, but I will try it!

message 20: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "@Jamie the games are still amazing, the Pokemon, the adventures and the attacks just the best damn thing!

@Marajean never got to watching Digimon much. I am a little dis-heartened since its one ..."

I wasn't that young when I watched Digimon, but I was still watching younger shows, if that makes sense. The first season *with Matt and Tai or Yamato and Taichi, is more contrived. The second season with Davis and Ken I liked better, but it's a continuation of the first season *unlike the rest of the series* so the original characters are all there only older, and the two youngest members of the old group are now of equal age to the current members. The second season seemed more story oriented so I liked it a lot better.

message 21: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Thats sounds not bad, in Pokemon Ash never looks a day older! I think he should at least look 15 now!!

message 22: by jenny (new)

jenny My daughter was a die-hard Pokemon fan when she was a little kid. Next she got into Sailor Moon. It was always kind of her "thing". I was more into American comics and graphic novels. When she was in Jr. high, she introduced me to Fushigi Yuugi, Inu Yasha, and Ranma 1/2. Then I was hooked!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Fushigi Yuugi and InuYasha were some of my first manga too. They're awesome series. :)

message 24: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Inuyasha is just epic! I just loooove it!

message 25: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments I've always watched anime and read some manga before, but then I became addicted to both Love Hina and Saint Tail, and that is when I started to seriously follow manga. I liked both so much that I wanted to read the books they were based on.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've been watching anime since I was little, so I've always been kind of interested in manga, even though I hardly ever read any. I didn't read any manga at all until high school. I picked up a few here and there, but didn't a whole lot of them. Then I just decided about four months ago, "I'm going to read more manga". I read everything in sight. I went from having read a few less than twenty volumes to over two hundred in these past four months, and I'm still going strong!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

That's awesome, Kristen. I think I read over 50 manga volumes last summer. Of course, I read a lot of other books too, so I have to find a balance. I can finish manga quickly, but sometimes put manga on hold while reading a novel.

message 28: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) I've always been fascinated by it but couldn't get into the ones I picked up which were typically shounen manga. Eventually, I started learning Japanese on my own and stumbled on shoujou manga and have been hooked.

I read it in English and stumble through it in Japanese. I love that for shoujou manga that they write the hiragana next to the kanji so that I can sound it out. It makes looking up the words on my dictionary a lot easier. I'm glad to come across this genre. There is a lot of great storytelling, humor and great mangaka out there.

message 29: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2022 comments Mod
I got into manga because a friend showed me Tokyo Mew Mew. It was so cute. I ran out and bought them.

Then I got into Fruits Basket and a bunch of others. Now I spend waaaaay too much at the bookstore when I manage to get there. ^^;;;

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I don't go to the book store much anymore. There seems to be better selection and prices online. I buy a lot of my manga at Amazon.com. They have sales a lot and a lot of their Manga you can buy three and get one free. I love my developing Manga collection, but I love a sale too:)...I still spend way too much :/

message 31: by Selena (new)

♥Jamie♥ wrote: "I don't go to the book store much anymore. There seems to be better selection and prices online. I buy a lot of my manga at Amazon.com. They have sales a lot and a lot of their Manga you can buy th..."

I used to go to the bookstore so I could browse and poke through the books, which is a little harder to do with online, and I'm horrible with the impulse buys. lol Sadly (or probably for the better), there aren't any bookstores within a half-hour's drive for us.

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments There just aren't that many bookstores anymore :( I consider myself extremely lucky to work at the only bookstore in town. The next closest one is 25 minutes away.

message 33: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments I used to work at the local Borders, but when it folded and Books-A-Million took its place, they limited their manga to three shelves, fifty percent were all mega-series like Naruto, Negima, or others.

I'm hoping they start to convert manga to ebook format. I like reading them, but now that series are starting to get 30+ plus volumes I find it hard to justify following many to the end. If only because of space issues.

message 34: by Selena (new)

I believe Viz has an app where you can read their manga on your phone or tablet.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

D.M. wrote: "I used to work at the local Borders, but when it folded and Books-A-Million took its place, they limited their manga to three shelves, fifty percent were all mega-series like Naruto, Negima, or oth..."

This is why I love libraries. I can't fit too many shelves in my room (two already), nor do I have the money to buy a lot of manga. So, I can borrow them from the library. Of course, this has its own problems. Like, people stealing manga. Manga gets stolen way too often from my library, so sometimes they'll have almost an entire series, but will be missing a few volumes. They don't always have lesser known series either, but sometimes I'll request that they purchase or interlibrary loan them.

message 36: by Selena (new)

I checked a out a copy of Maid-sama and someone ripped out a whole bunch of pages. That's almost as bad as stealing them. :|

For the most part, my library is pretty good with manga, and we have a huge system with the other libraries to share collections. Makes life so much easier.

message 37: by Kristen (last edited Sep 01, 2012 09:37AM) (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments D.M. wrote: "I'm hoping they start to convert manga to ebook format. I like reading them, but now that series are starting to get 30+ plus volumes I find it hard to justify following many to the end. If only because of space issues. "

I don't really care for long series either. I like things to have endings. I usually just stop after about 10 volumes. Also, have you tried reading manga online? There are tons of sites with fan translations that you can read for free. They are usually riddled with spelling errors, but beggars can't be choosers.

Wednesday wrote: "This is why I love libraries. I can't fit too many shelves in my room (two already), nor do I have the money to buy a lot of manga. So, I can borrow them from the library. Of course, this has its own problems. Like, people stealing manga. Manga gets stolen way too often from my library, so sometimes they'll have almost an entire series, but will be missing a few volumes. They don't always have lesser known series either, but sometimes I'll request that they purchase or interlibrary loan them."

I get most of the manga I read from the library, too. They don't have a very extensive collection, but they have most of the titles that I look for. Manga is just far too expensive for the amount of time it takes for me to read it.

message 38: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments I don't really care for long series either. I like things to have endings. I usually just stop after about 10 volumes. Also, have you tried reading manga online? There are tons of sites with fan translations that you can read for free. They are usually riddled with spelling errors, but beggars can't be choosers.

I read manga at Mangafox, but it's not all that convenient on PC. I wish they would release them on ebooks like DC does their graphic novels. I'm an ebook addict, and it's easier to read them on a Kindle touch or Fire.

This is why I love libraries. I can't fit too many shelves in my room (two already), nor do I have the money to buy a lot of manga. So, I can borrow them from the library.

We have libraries here too, but they are small, and don't carry that many books. It's also enough of a distance away, and with short enough hours that it's inconvenient to do so. A lot of people used the Books-A-Million like that. Buy an espresso drink and just sit and read.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (abookbuff) | 147 comments I wish there were more libraries/bookstores selling manga where I live!

When I was little, I was OBSESSED with Sailor Moon, like most of you guys xD but it wasn't until I was about thirteen-years-old that I reconnected with that passion. Four years later, and I'm hooked as hell!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

My obsession was in middle school, but then I only had mild interest in high school. I've recently really picked up manga and anime again. Of course, in middle school I was more of weaboo. Now, I'm pretty mellow. I look back on that time and go, "what was I thinking?"

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (abookbuff) | 147 comments Haha! Yeah, that happens to everyone, I suppose '>.> I've never been the type to scream at somebody "SARA-DESU!" or, "THAT'S KAWAII!" I guess I'm pretty mellow as well. But inside, I'm such an otaku I can't contain it XD

message 42: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 747 comments I'm really into manga, have loved it for a long time! It's not one of those things where your in to it a couple of months then forget about it. Manga has really stuck to me for as long as I can remember.

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 15, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

I agree. If you're into manga, you're stuck. Granted, different people are into it in varying degrees, but most fans get hooked and manga makes up a good percentage of what they read. Well, partly because you can read them so quickly.

message 44: by Aurora (new)

Aurora so true! Lately, I've been devouring volumes and somewhat neglecting my other reading.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I have more time for manga than full length novels.

message 46: by Karin (new)

Karin B. Kiessling (yousei_chan) | 6 comments Well i always like anime but i think it was a waste of time watch it and because of that i start to read manga so i can read the complete story in a day :)

message 47: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 747 comments I agree! I wiz through my manga when I have time.

°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・ (weresvsvamps) | 16 comments I have watched anime since I was a little kid, when I didn't know it was called anime at the time. I watched Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! in those days. I got in to manga by chance when me and my family were shopping at Walmart and I happened to come across Fruits Basket. That started me really getting into manga and anime.

message 49: by Arwen (new)

Arwen my friend Anna nagged me until i watched some and then i got hooked. i first manga was Vampire Knight and Fruits basket and Yugi Fashimi thing!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Ironically, when I was younger I though Toonami and Yu-Gi-Oh in particular were stupid. But, not I love anime. Of course, I still didn't know Toonami was anime, but it was different from my regular cartoons.

Arwen, you're thinking of Fushigi Yugi by Yuu Watase.

« previous 1