Contemporary Christian Fiction discussion

What's everyone reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 147 (147 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Karol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Karol I just finished reading "A Covington Christmas" by Joan Medlicott. It was a quick and enjoyable read, especially for this time of year. Next up is "Home to Holly Springs" by Jan Karon.

What are you all reading this December?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never read books by Jan Karon, but I have heard of her. I haven't heard of Joan Medlicott though. I am reading "True Devotion" by Dee Henderson. It's a really good book and I am enjoying it.

message 3: by Karol (new)

Karol Kristy, I've read several of Dee Henderson's books and really enjoyed them.

Right now, I'm reading "And the Shofar Blew" by Francine Rivers, the first time I've read anything by her.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading "Homicide at Blue Heron Lake," by Susan Page Davis and Megan Elaine Davis and it's a Heartsong Mystery. I have no idea which number this book is because unlike Heartsong Presents, these are not numbered. This is the second Heartsong Mystery that I've read. I am enjoying it.

Kristy

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 11 comments I just finished reading My Soul to Keep by Melanie Wells. It is her third in a series, but stands alone well. It's a suspense that has just the right amount of spookiness to it.

message 6: by Karol (new)

Karol I just finished Rebecca Seitz' book, "Prints Charming". It was a very enjoyable read, as 4 women had supportive friendship over a shared interest in scrapbooking, and helped each other deal with the things going on in their family lives. I like a happy ending, and this one definitely fit the bill.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments I love to scrapbook - how fun, I'll have to look that up, Kay. Thanks for sharing with us.

message 8: by Tamika (new)

Tamika (akimattamika) | 1 comments Right now,I'm reading "One Tuesday Morning" by Karen Kingsbury.

Someone gave me a copy of "Obsessed" by Ted Dekker, and I'll probably start reading that in a couple of days.

message 9: by Karol (new)

Karol Oh, I so enjoy Karen Kingsbury!

Ted Dekker scares me nearly to death!

Good writers, both.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon McGee (confuzzledbooks) | 1 comments I am reading The Bishop's Daughter by Wanda E. Brunstetter. It is the third book in the series.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly | 2 comments I just finished The Trophy Wives Club by Kristin Billerbeck. I really like her books (her Spa Girls trilogy was my favorite).

I checked out both of the Tuesday Morning books by Karen Kingsbury yesterday at the library.

I'm going to add Prints Charming to my list. I'm a scrapbooker, too :)

jen

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments Kay,
How'd you like Francine Rivers? I love her books! Try "The Atonement Child" next.
-Laura

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments Just finished the first book in Debra White Smith's Austen Series "First Impressions." If you're looking for a simple, "charming", quick romantic read, this was a good one. I'm going to check out the rest of the series from the library.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading "Trouble Up Finny's Nose" by Dana Mentink.~

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb (writebarb) | 26 comments Mod
I just read "Trouble Up Finny's Nose." Interesting characters. What do you think, Kristy?

message 16: by Barb (new)

There are a lot of great books listed here! Has anyone read "The Potluck Club" books? I love these books! They can be a bit confusing, as each chapter is written from a different character's POV, but very quickly I learned without looking which character was talking.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyfishgirl) | 6 comments Lynn,
Welcome!!! I loved those books, too! Such feeling and mystery! I love how everything falls together and you learna bout the other characters in the CC series. I guess the American Dream series has another branch off some of the same characters. I have not read them yet, but plan to.
-amy

Barb, no I've not read those
-amy

message 18: by Barb (new)

I finished, "Searching For Spice" by Megan DiMaria. It was a good book.

message 19: by Boomstick13s (new)

Boomstick13s I liked Mark Andrew Olsen's books
"The Watchers"
"The Warriors"
"The Assignment"
the kind of books you read in like 1-2 days b/c you don't want to stop in the middle of the good part... it's all the good part. Same with T.L. Hines and Charles Martin... I've gone through 3 of Mr. Martin's books in the past week.

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 11 comments Good grief so many wonderful suggestions here!!!

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina (wrtrforkner) I'm reading Rain Song, by Alice J. Wisler Rain Song by Alice J. Wisler

message 22: by Matt (new)

Matt | 1 comments I have just finished Chosen by Dekker, before that I read The Watchers and The Warriors by Mark Andrew Olsen,Nightbringer and The Reckoning by James Byron Huggins and currently reading his book Hunter. Next I am going to read a Skeleton in Gods Closet.

message 23: by Barb (new)

I'm just starting, "It's Out Of Her Hands," by Megan DiMaria. It is the sequel to, "Searching For Spice." Megan is in my writer's group and is a great up and coming novelist.

message 24: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 3 comments Hi, I'm new to the group and I love Christian fiction. I just started reading Ted Dekker's SINNER. As usual it's got me from the start and I can't wait to see where it goes! This seems like a great group and I hope to get some ideas for books for the book club that I'm in.

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie (anhabella) Hello All. I am new to the group as well. I just finished the Glenbrooke Series (8 in all) by Robin Jones Gunn and loved every minute of them. I simply could not put them down. Each book was about a different character. I ended up reading them out of order and got a little confused so I definately recommend reading them in order. I have started the Ivy Towers Mysteries by Nancy Mehl. I am really enjoying the first book in this series, In the Dead of Winter.

message 26: by Barb (new)

Hi Marsha and Annie! I have never read any of those books, although I've heard a lot about Ted Dekker. I have read a book by Nancy Mehl and liked it, so look forward to reading more of her books.

message 27: by Keiki (new)

Keiki Hendrix | 3 comments I just finished "Obessed" by Ted Dekker. Awesome story. A story that stretches for over 30 years and ends with the power of love.

Dekker is one of my favorite authors. I was a bit disappointed in "Sinner", but this book took my breathe away.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 70 comments I just finished Karen Kingsbury's Every Now and Then...the third book in the 9/11(Tuesday Morning series). Great to see how the characters in the first two novels developed over the years since 9/11 happened in their lives. I'm almost finished with her new one, This Side of Heaven. Her books are ones that I can read in two or three days.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennyamhstyedu) | 4 comments I just started reading This Side of Heaven. I love Karen Kingsbury's books!

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 70 comments I do too! It was a really good book. Just finished it last night before bed.

message 31: by Keiki (new)

Keiki Hendrix | 3 comments I am currently reading "Life Everlasting" by Robert Whitlow. It is the second in the "Santee" series.

Man on man. These are two great books. I recommend them highly. Great stories, rich characters, and strong christian insights.

message 32: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 3 comments I'm reading Soon by Jerry Jenkins right now. So far so good......

message 33: by Butterflyyy (new)

Butterflyyy | 2 comments I just finished The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught (book 5) and will begin reading The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Rolling (book 6) tomorrow. I love this series!

message 34: by Penny (new)

Penny | 1 comments I just finished By Reason of Insanity by Randy Singer... Very Good... Not a book to be read over a week...one of those books that you have to keep reading. I see he has a book coming out this summer. Glad I found this author now!

message 35: by Barb (new)

I will have to try Reason of Insanity! Sounds great!

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan (mdimaria3comcastnet) | 1 comments I'm just starting Marilynn Griffith's Rhythms of Grace.

message 37: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrie19) | 1 comments Karen Kingsbury's books are great... Ever After is my favorite by her... then her Baxter family drama. I am going to start reading a Robert Whitlow book soon. I've read a few of his other ones and really enjoyed them.

message 38: by Barb (new)

Megan! One of my favorite authors! It's great to see you here.

If any of you has time to check out Megan's books, they are great. The first is Searching for Spice and the Second is Out of Her Hands.

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wardrip (geniusjen) | 1 comments Hi all! New to the group, but wanted to chime in that I'm just starting LONESTAR SANCTUARY by Colleen Coble.

message 40: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (aimee10210) I am finishing up the Baxter's Sunrise Series by Karen Kingsbury so I can get to my book club book, The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve.

message 41: by Adrienna (new)

Adrienna (adriennaturner) "SinSatiable" by Shelia E. Lipsey, and then "the List" by Sherri Lewis. I am also reading, "Day Begins with Christ" nonfiction Christian living.

I have not read Karen Kingsbury since 2008. I might have to check her out later this year.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 70 comments I've read one or two Jane Kirkpatrick novels and liked them ok. But, I've heard that series is good. I'll have to check it out.

And, I'm with y'all on Karen Kingsbury! Love her so much that I made a group on goodreads for her books! I've read most of hers...ready to buy her new Above the Line series that just came out with the first one.

message 43: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (aimee10210) crossings book club online has/had $9.99 any book - which included Act 1 from the Above the Line series - they carry several of Karen's books. (they also had a two in one of the 9/11 series for $9.99) :)

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 70 comments Sweet! I totally forgot about crossing book club. I'll look into it. thanks

message 45: by Steve (new)

Steve Grove (pastorsteve) | 9 comments just finished Athol Dickson's River Rising - pretty good, and Kathy Tyer's Shivering World (sci-fi) - I liked it much better.
Am waiting for Bonnie Grove's Talking To The Dead - out by the end of the month - it has a great indorsement by Francine Rivers and Susan Meissner!

message 46: by Christina (new)

Christina | 1 comments I am reading Ted Dekker "Adam"

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading "Sisters Ink" by Sietz for book club and "Self Talk Soul Talk" by Rothschild for personal enrichment.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 20 comments I am reading Athol Dickson's THE CURE and rereading John Eldredge's WAKING THE DEAD. I just finished HEALING STONES by Rue and HAVAH by Tosca Lee (new author - I really like her writing style).

message 49: by Ram (new)

Ram | 2 comments I just finished Uncharted by Angela Hunt. It was not a happy book, but a powerful one. I am now reading Freefall by Heitzmann and Summer's End by Lyn Cote.
I'd like to read something light and funny next. Any suggestions?

message 50: by LadyCalico (last edited Jul 07, 2009 02:59PM) (new)

LadyCalico 2288360 I guess I'm the newest member of the group. I just recently found Goodreads and it has already cost me a fortune in Amazon orders. Through Goodreads I discovered that Pastor D. Brian Shafer has added a fifth book to the Chronicles of the Host series, which I will read as soon as I finish John Adams. This wonderful series does a fairly accurate retelling of Bible stories from the point of view of fictionalized angels, elect and evil, heavily involved in the earthly events. The original series ended with the Gospels, but the new book, Fire and Sword, picks up again with the Book of Acts and Satan's war against the early church.

« previous 1 3