The Sword and Laser discussion

Tigana
This topic is about Tigana
2012 Reads > TIG: How Did You Picture the Peninsula? *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 477 comments With these big fantasy worlds I always try and picture in my head just how it's all laid out. I found this map online someone has made and I have to say it's not how I pictured it at all. I'm not saying the map is wrong though, I'm saying I have a terrible mind for picturing maps correctly.

http://daelstorm.thegraveyard.org/map...

From here - http://daelstorm.thegraveyard.org/map...

Is this how you pictured it? Do you find an image like this helps your understanding of events in the book?

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
I had a map at the start of my Kindle version (Similar to yours except black and white, see link), so I used that as my reference.

Tigana map

I like having a map to help visualise the journeys and settings.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 477 comments Ah so it does, I didn't even notice it.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments My print version (an early Canadian edition) has the same map Tassie Dave linked to.

Charles (CAndrews) | 60 comments I referenced the map several times during reading; every time a place name was mentioned, in fact. At least until I worked out where the various places were.

I like maps as they give a sense of perspective. They're also very useful when reading something like LotR!

message 6: by Rachael (new) - added it

Rachael (Mermaid690) | 3 comments I'm reading some none fiction called Persian Fire at the moment, the maps in the books are essential for giving me perspective on the kinds of distances that were involved and where these things were taking place, it's helping me follow the plot when people are going back on themselves I now know where to find Sparta, Thermopylae, Marathon, and Mt Olympus in relation to Athens I wouldn't have a clue what was going on where without the maps, also like Charles says very useful in epics like LotR. I think maybe I just like maps though I got the map of the Discworld as soon as it came out. Hooray for Maps!

Joshua Zucker (joshuazucker) | 12 comments I thought the maps were a very important part of the narrative in this book, much more than in a lot of other books -- the way we got the big picture of the peninsula or the small details of some particular locale. Like Adrienne said, opening each section with a map was very effective, much more so than when all the maps are in the front of the book.

message 8: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments [image error]

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments I must have the same print version as Joshua as mine has several maps throughout the book.

In general, I really like maps provided they are useful for the telling of the tale. Ones that are well thought out and detailed defiantly add something to the book, but often they seem to be just an afterthought.

The map for the Safehold series by David Weber (Beginning with Off Armageddon Reef) is one of the most complex I have ever come across and matches the complexity of the story. The one that irks me the most is the map for the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. It's okay, but a lot more detail would be nice.

Sometimes when I am reading historical or other books set in the real world I use Google Earth to take a look at the locations. If the map in the book is simplistic I screen shot it for reference while reading. I have found this particularly useful while reading the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell

message 10: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments They came out with Google Mars after I was finished reading Red Mars (both times). If I ever go for a third, I'd like to have that handy.

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 477 comments Couldn't a map that is too complex, too detailed actually be detrimental? I wouldn't want to have to constantly be referring to it every page, it would detract from the story.

I want my maps to be detailed enough to give me an overall idea of distance and large scale terrain and not a street directory.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments aldenoneil wrote: ".. hand picture.."

Hey, that's the hand that activates the ice/atmosphere machine in Total Recall!

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Kim wrote: "Couldn't a map that is too complex, too detailed actually be detrimental? I wouldn't want to have to constantly be referring to it every page, it would detract from the story.

I want my maps to b..."

For sure, I think it depends on the nature of the book or story in question. The complex one for David Weber's Safehold series is very important to the overall story. Most of the naval tactics and maneuvers described in the books require a complex geography that would be very hard to describe. You can find this map here:
http://safehold.wikia.com/wiki/Catego...

To be fair, Terry Goodkind addresses the issue of the minimal map in the Sword of Truth books on his website and I guess he does have a point :)
http://www.terrygoodkind.com/resource...

Bethany | 9 comments I listened to the book while working out in the gym. Unfortunately, I realized too late that I was trying to figure out the shape of the Palm by mimicking the hand sign used in the book. Doing this while on an elliptical machine garnered some strange looks. People around must have thought I was crazy, working out while staring at my hand and alternating moving different fingers. These maps are much more helpful, to say the least.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Off Armageddon Reef (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bernard Cornwell (other topics)