Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > July Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments I know we are early into June but it's always better to get things done earlier rather than later. So get your nominations in now for July's book.

message 2: by Fayley (new)

Fayley What is the theme for July? And are we going to put in one of the 2nd placed nominations a previous month ? (something that had lots of votes but missed out on being the month read)

message 3: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Well I don't know about a theme but how about we go with world building fantasy since our last two books are all urban novels? And yes I'm going to put up for a second book a poll with books that received the second amount of votes and that we have not read yet.

message 4: by Xdyj (last edited Jun 13, 2012 07:46AM) (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe by Gene Wolfe (who is called by Ursula Le Guin as "our (Herman) Melville"). It's technically science fiction but has won world fantasy award.

message 5: by Sam (new)

message 6: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson . I heard of this recently and it sounds pretty good. Apparently it was released at a similar time to one of my all time favourites in The Lord of the Rings.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen St. Onge | 117 comments Jonathan wrote: "The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson. I heard of this recently and it sounds pretty good. Apparently it was released at a similar time to one of my all time favourites in The Lord of the Rings."

A very good fantasy by Poul Anderson.

message 8: by Marco (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:28AM) (new)

Marco Cultrera (marco_cultrera) | 1 comments This is my vote. It supposed to be really good.

Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1) by Mark Charan Newton

message 9: by Laura Sunny (new)

Laura Sunny (sunjamin) | 1 comments I wouldn't mind reading 1Q84, The Dark Lord of Derkholm, or The Farthest Shore

message 10: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments We already have a 1Q84 discussion thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

And we also have a thread on earthsea cycle: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

If you like please post your ideas/questions/comments on these books there, so that we can restart the discussions on them :)

message 11: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 26 comments I have a copy of The Death of Grass by John Christopher sitting on my bookshelf and i'm looking for an excuse to read it.

The Death of Grass by John Christopher

message 12: by Melody (new)

Melody Mol (melodybernal) | 5 comments I'd like to nominate Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath, #1) by Nadia Scrieva . It was a really good read and I want to read it again anyway and be able to discuss it with people that know what I'm talking about x)

message 13: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments If I'm allowed to give another suggestion I think The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell could also be interesting.

message 14: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 26 comments Hi Jaq. Just use the add book/author facility (just above the comment box to add a new nomination or support another nomination by seconding it. :-)

message 15: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (Jefforama) | 6 comments Xdyj wrote: "If I'm allowed to give another suggestion I think The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell could also be interesting."

I second

The Sparrow and add that yes, it is very interesting.

message 16: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 26 comments I second Dark Prince (Legend Books) by David Gemmell

message 17: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Sounds good so far everyone. Can we get all nominations in by the 18th if possible so one of us moderators can make a poll?
- Thanks Xdyj for making the secondary read poll -

message 18: by Fayley (new)

Fayley I haven't tried any David Gemmel yet I don't think - i'll go have a read of some reviews now. On the vote for the secondary read (2nd place getters from previous polls) are some classic heroic fantasy. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is a cool take on the theme that you might like.

message 19: by Christian (new)

Christian (XTN228) | 3 comments Sam wrote: "How about Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings"

I vote for this.. One of my all-time faves!

message 20: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (last edited Jun 21, 2012 08:34PM) (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments All right I'm closing this thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.