The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

In the Press, Blogs, and Sites > Killer On The Road: James Ellroy's Forgotten Novel by Steven Powell

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Monier A take on James Ellory's obscure novel by one of his most fervent connoisseurs. http://laemonie.wordpress.com/2012/06...

message 2: by Bell (new)

Bell (nickhudson) | 3 comments "Killer on the road" was the first novel by Ellroy that I ever read (twenty or so years ago), and have sadly pretty much forgotten the whole book - I quess I´ll have to re-read it.
On the linked article I found the quote in the end by Ellroy regarding serial killers pretty damn awesome: ‘Fear the killers; pray for their victims; extend sympathy towards murderers’ childhoods. Think of the line between us and them as fragile and in need of jealously guarding.’

message 3: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Monier Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment, Bellhuey. Very interesting. :)
Bellhuey wrote: ""Killer on the road" was the first novel by Ellroy that I ever read (twenty or so years ago), and have sadly pretty much forgotten the whole book - I quess I´ll have to re-read it.
On the linked a..."

message 4: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Monier Thanks for your comment, Kyle. Please, let us know what you make of the book.

Happy reading :)

Kyle ~The Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I've put "Killer On The Road" on my TBR shelf. I'm looking forward to reading this book."

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Metcalf Like Belhuey, KotR was the first Ellroy novel I ever read. Unlike him, it sticks with me to this day. After the constant tropes of serial killers in the movies, in books, practically everywhere in popular culture, KotR is still the only book on the subject that horrified me, that made me feel dirty for reading it. Though not to everyone's tastes...it's an incredible piece of work.

message 6: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Monier Thanks so much for taking the time to visit LaeLand, Alex and make a comment. Much appreciated.

I think Ellroy at his best can be counted on to make a story a little bit more special.

Alex wrote: "Like Belhuey, KotR was the first Ellroy novel I ever read. Unlike him, it sticks with me to this day. After the constant tropes of serial killers in the movies, in books, practically everywhere in ..."