The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #102 - I, Dictator

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Continuum is a new Canadian sci-fi show that recently started. It's pretty good. Warehouse 13 is still ongoing.

Maybe networks are a bit worried about financing new sci-fi after some big budget flops - FlashForward, Dollhouse, Terra Nova, V, etc. Whereas fantasy shows have been doing pretty good.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments This episode cuts off in mid sent

To get away from authors with RPG exp., you really have to find one who was being published before 1974. It would be interesting to see how many of those started playing afterwards.

Re SF on TV: as far as I can tell, most network execs seem to think that since they're spending a bit more in production for F/X, they can cut that out of the budget for marketing (here's a clue: no promotion = no viewers). Fox, on the other hand, keeps saying that they want dark & edgy, but they get really nervous when they actually get dark & edgy.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments It seems to be running right in a new browser window, must have been a problem buffering at my end.

message 5: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments another great episode. I listened to it while playing Minecraft (PC version)

Why?
1. because I can
2. doing 2 awesome things is equal to or greater than than 1 silly

..I think I'm in a weird mood

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6118 comments Well actually, it's pronounced "exe GEE sis". ;)

ex·e·ge·sis/ˌeksiˈjēsis/
Noun:
Critical explanation or interpretation of a text, esp. of scripture.

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments Veronica has gotten flack for mispronouncing names in the past, but She acually got Ken Liu's last name pretty much right. It is closer to leo than lu (the way most people pronounce it.

message 8: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Well actually....

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Richard wrote: "Re SF on TV: as far as I can tell, most network execs seem to think that since they're spending a bit more in production for F/X, they can cut that out of the budget for marketing (here's a clue: no promotion = no viewers).

They also seem to think they can cut the budget on inconsequential things like script, story, good writers, good actors. I hold up the BBC's Outcasts from last year as a case in point (it was truly dire in every way, and the fact that they didn't market it was probably a blessing). Strangely (!) it didn't get renewed for a second season.

message 10: by aldenoneil (last edited Jun 12, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Tamahome wrote: "Well actually, it's pronounced "exe GEE sis". ;)

Is that "GEE" as in "GIF?"

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Hey V,

Not kissing up with Assassin's Apprentice. I listened to the audio book for this and really enjoyed it. I'm most of the way through the second book and I'm actually liking it a lot more than the first book. I hope the series lives up to how much I'm enjoying the second book right now.

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments I haven't listened yet. Does this mean that for August V is going to dictate? If so, YES!

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6118 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Well actually, it's pronounced "exe GEE sis". ;)

Is that "GEE" as in "GIF?""

GEE as in G.E.?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

terpkristin wrote: "I haven't listened yet. Does this mean that for August V is going to dictate? If so, YES!"

I hope so

message 15: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Really enjoyed the show. Its a little weird hearing ones post read back by someone else but also very cool.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I had to turn off after the fourth time Tom mispronounced exegesis and take a deep breath.

Love you guys.

message 17: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Ok now I'm listening to the show.

Bah, wrap up a week before the month ends! :(

Also, I'm listening to the audio for Tigana (but may Lem), I had a huge problem with the last section of chapter 2. I don't think I can blame that on Simon Vance. I've listened to it 5 times and still have no idea what Devan dreamed or who the person was he mentioned attend of that dream sequence. It's not going well for me.

I dunno, I suggest books and vote but I've found that my vote has only once won so far (Hyperion). I was happy to second of my suggestions in the July vote, we'll see if it wins. And I thought I was a very vocal member! ;)

Looking forward to a dictator pick but hoping it's not Assassin's Apprentice since I read that hahaha.

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Good show again and I really loved the July picks...all solid in my opinion...kickstarter is cool...

message 19: by Nate (new)

Nate (thatsdruidic) | 60 comments Totally agree with Tom abut Prometheus, it was unbearablely dull and I just didn't care, no matter how pretty it is.

message 20: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Well actually, it's pronounced "exe GEE sis". ;)

Is that "GEE" as in "GIF?""

As in "GEE", rhymes with "GLEE".

message 21: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments terpkristin wrote: "Looking forward to a dictator pick but hoping it's not Assassin's Apprentice since I read that hahaha."

Kind of hoping the opposite, actually. Last time I read Tigana was 15 years ago and I like it even more this time around. It's been about as long for Assassin's Apprentice.

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6118 comments Is Assassin's Apprentice the sword version of Old Man's War?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

No. Assassins Apprentice actually has a chance of being a pick :P

message 24: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I knew, the instant I thought of it, that this had to exist: Exejesus.com.

message 25: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Kickstarter is dangerous! The past several months, I've done a lot of pledging for Kickstarter indie games (most of which have been funded) as well as the Singularity project.

This includes CLANG (I did the $25 to get the game, somewhere between Tom's skinflint $5 and Veronica's extravagant $150 ;) ). I'm not sure, even if they realize it just as they're imagining, that it will be something I'd play a *lot*, but I do want to see it realized, and want to play it.

Plus it could lead to a S&L virtual sword-fighting guild. Maybe someone would make a light-saber mod for it so Laser can be properly represented, too. ;)

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (einahpets_reads) In terms of science fiction on TV: Fringe?

My husband and I haven't watched the latest season yet (but are planning an epic marathon before SD Comic Con to attend the session and not be spoiled), but it is definitely a favorite for us and meets our needs for sci-fi on TV.

message 27: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2454 comments For any old school Laser gamers out there, Marc Miller currently has a Kickstarter going on for Version 5 of the classic Traveller SF RPG. It originally started out with a goal of $24k. Here's a link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/t...

message 28: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I was spoiled by the fool thread, too. I've become immune to spoiler tags.

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments I'm not surprised that fantasy and RPGs are connected...all modifiers and weird nouns -- almost no significant verbs. LOL. 600 pages per volume - multiple volumes - never ending stories...about???? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

message 30: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments AndrewP wrote: "For any old school Laser gamers out there, Marc Miller currently has a Kickstarter going on for Version 5 of the classic Traveller SF RPG. It originally started out with a goal of $24k. Here's a li..."

I was a big fan & player of the original when I was at uni, what, 30 years ago (blimey... where's me zimmer frame?!)

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene McHugh (irenemchugh) | 25 comments Just finished listening to this episode. I am really excited about The Hobbit for the December pick. I was thinking of re-reading it this summer, but I'd much rather re-read with this group and all of the diverse commentary generated here.

Thank you for the heads up!

message 32: by Karly (new)

Karly (karlycay) | 79 comments Kim wrote: "Continuum is a new Canadian sci-fi show that recently started. It's pretty good. Warehouse 13 is still ongoing.

Maybe networks are a bit worried about financing new sci-fi after some big budget fl..."

I agree, sci-fi shows can be super expensive and networks cancel them quickly before they get their feet under them.

Isn't Falling Skies on TNT doing pretty well? SyFy is starting a new show called Defiance that looks pretty good. Of course, naming 1 and 2 examples for Tom's 4-5 examples of well-off fantasy shows isn't really helping...

As far as big budget terrible-ness, fantasy and sci-fi seem to be on equal footing. All the game movies (Battleship) and Snow White reboots. Ugh.