Comic Books discussion

Comics Vs. Movies

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Majid (last edited Jul 16, 2012 11:35PM) (new)

Majid Nobles | 5 comments Comics, of course. Movie versions are usually very inaccurate.

message 2: by Adrien (new)

Adrien (drainster) | 8 comments There's just so much more to explore in the world of comic books. More characters, more story lines, the different artists and writers. There's a universe of comics but only a hamlet of comic book movies.

message 3: by rarehero (new)

rarehero | 4 comments Movie, if it is well done. But I think animated media is best. Like batman or x-men.

message 4: by Eddie (new)

Eddie | 4 comments Since the X-Men movies, I always go with the thinking it is a "What-If" story. It is the only way I enjoy them at all.I am too old.
Animated media: Just watched JL: Doom and found it to be different but good.

message 5: by Bob (new)

Bob Comics. The movies always have to change something and it seems with some of them they can't wait to take of their mask and expose there secret idenity to someone. I do like some of the movies but if I had to choose on over the other I would have to go with the comic.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 11 comments Both, with a heavy preference for comics. They're such different media, even with animation.

Movies are highly visual medium, in which momentum in pacing is very important.

Comics straddle an interesting place as a medium, being both visual and textual. Things like internal monologue just work better on the page usually. Also, though they are visual, comics' images are static. They can be dwelt over, absorbed, and reexamined quite easily during a story.

With a movie, it is a moving picture (I'm a genius, I am) and that introduces restrictions and possibilities all its own. Home video has changed this somewhat, but in general a film unfurls at the pace dictated by the filmmaker; not the reader, as in a book, where you can pick it up, put it down, flip back, flip forward, etc.

But then, in general, I find people are more potentially active in their reading as opposed to viewing, even for entertainment.

message 7: by Adrien (new)

Adrien (drainster) | 8 comments Also, I find it easier to suspend disbelief when reading comic books vs. watching a live action film, especially when costumed super heroes are involved. And I enjoy the illustrations.