Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
This topic is about Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
Manga > Fruits Basket

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Fruits Basket is pretty much the most popular shoujo manga in America. What do you think of the series?

I think it's fairly original, and the characterization is pretty amazing. Most authors, manga or otherwise, usually create flat, boring, or stereotypical characters. I feel that, even though this series has an air of fantasy to it, the characters are much more realistic than other manga characters.

I have mixed feelings about Tohru, though. She's sometimes way to ditzy and will do whatever people tell her to do without thinking about it. To put it bluntly, she's not very smart. However, she seems to have a way with bringing people together and making people happy wihtout even trying. She's suffered a lot of misfortune, but manages to just keep going. She may not be very bright, but she's so loving and sincere, and sometimes can be very surprisingly wise. I think if she were smarter, she probably wouldn't be as kind as she is. But her ditziness can be so annoying sometimes.

One major thing I don't like about Fruits Basket is that it gets too crazy as the series gets into the 20+ volumes. I actually lost track of where I was and had to start over. I felt like a lot of what happened in the later volumes was a little unecessary and the series could have ended a little earlier. It did start to drag as it continued. However, I never acutally finished the series, so I don't really know how it ends (no spoilers please!). Also, why did the anime cut off in the middle of the series? I never understood that.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I think they didnt want to stretch the anime out like the manga. The ending of the anime is very different!
I like Tohru she is so pure, maybe a bit too nice. But she is a very good lead, her characteristics are so beautiful! And her thoughts are very selfless, so I cant hate her. So I do like her :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the other characters, mostly Kyo, tell her she shouldn't be so dim and gullible. In most manga the other male characters say that they like the ditzy personality.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I dont really like any character in particular, well except Momiji!!!!!!!!!1 He is just SO CUTE!
But all these characters together make the story so funny!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Momiji is actually pretty wise for his age and personality. He's been through so much, and learned things most kids that age wouldn't know, but you can't tell either.

message 6: by Hannah (last edited Jun 18, 2012 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I haven't read the Fruits Basket manga, but I have seen the entire anime series. Unfortunately, it only lasted one season, so maybe I'm not knowledgable in this subject to chip in on the discussion.

But I will anyway:) I agree with what Wednesday said in the comment above, Momiji has some surprisingly wise lines for his character.

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments My favorite character in the series would probably be Shiguru. He's so funny and mischievious:P

message 8: by Priscila (new)

Priscila Patatas (priscila18) | 6 comments This one I've only watched the anime so far. And I loved it! I know most of you were fans of Souma-kun, but for me Kyo is my guy! It was an incredibly created character, really complex and, nevertheless, caring as any good male character. I also liked Tohru, but I think she was too naive. But that's also one of her best traits in the anime, so I don't know...

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Kyo comes in second place for me:)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'm the only one who isn't a Kyo fan. Kyo's complex, but I don't like how he is always yelling and wanting to fight and jumping to conclusions.

My favorites are Ayame and Ritsu. Ayame is just awesome, and I relate to Ristu (but not to that extreme, just low self-esteem). Ironic that my favorite characters are the most confident and least confident characters in the series....

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Oh, yeah, true on your first point there. Kyo can get tiresome after a while. I think I like Kyo because he has a fault. Of course, Toru has a fault too and it's her being so naive and gullible. But that makes her sweet, whereas Kyo's fault sort of consumes him.

I don't know. I'm totally spewing giberish here.

Candylover13 | 9 comments i really liked the series though i agree that it was too long and i had to take a break from it before continuing
i liked lots of characters in the series i think they added to the storie and made it more interesting :D

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments You aren't Hannah

I agree Kyo is very complex, but I never chose between him or Prince! But I am hopelessly all over them! BUT Momiji is just so amazing! In fact there is a character in Ouran High who sort of reminds me of Momiji!

jenny I like Tohru though I do agree that her gullible nature can grate on the nerves. I think her sweetness serves a purpose in the story so it hasn't bothered me too much.

It's so hard to choose a favorite character because there are so many in this manga. Kyo, Yuki, Ayame, Momiji.... ugh I can't choose! I really like Tohru's friends Hana-chan and Uo-chan. I love how deep, loyal and true their friendship is. Also Tohru's mom, Kyoko is a favorite of mine.

I do agree the story drags at times. I have started, stopped, and started over a few times over the last five years. Now that I am almost done, I can say it's worth reading.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I read just the few first volumes and then just watched the anime,the ending of the anime was a bit lopsided so I think I will try the manga again!

jenny Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "I read just the few first volumes and then just watched the anime,the ending of the anime was a bit lopsided so I think I will try the manga again!"

I finished! The ending is lovely. I'm so glad I started again. IMO the hardest books to get through are the upper teens, but there are still some nice moments in there. Worth it for the ending!

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments You make me want to know BUT I think I would rather find out myself! *sigh* too many manga!!

jenny Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "You make me want to know BUT I think I would rather find out myself! *sigh* too many manga!!"

I hear ya! And if you're like me you don't want to spread yourself out over too many series at one time. It gets too confusing.

McKenna I have seen the whole series twice and I started reading the manga. I just finished volume 7 last night. I love Kyo! I still like Yuki but I like Kyo as a romantic interest for Tohru. For me, whenever I am reading it and there is a cute scene between Tohru and Kyo I stare at it for like five minutes and then later I randomly go back to the page and look at it again because it's so cute! I also do that with scenes between her and Yuki even though I like Kyo. i guess I just like the romantic scenes.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I find Kyo to be a little annoying, but I agree that he is a good love interest for Tohru.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I think Kyo is a nice different sort of character. But I somehow like Yuki better. I must say they have equal issues

Aurora I love the series! I read the first 2 volumes a few years back but recently, I picked up the series again and finished it. I love how there are so many complex characters. the mangaka beautifully gives each person his/her own background and feelings. my favorite characters would definetly be Hatori, Momiji and of course,Kyo!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The characters are what make this series shine. They're all so complex and well developed. Characters are what make or break a series for me, and the Fruits Basket characters definitely have me coming back for more.

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments PEOPLES: I have just finished volume ten, AND THE ENDING!!!!! Gah!!! You know, where (view spoiler)

I never fangirl about things like this, but I am SOOOOOOO itching to read more, I checked out the next three volumes:)

Normally when things like that happen in books or movies, I'm like, "Oh yay, you're in love, bravo." I never feel anything for the characters. But exactly what you just said Wednesday, about the character development: it was so perfect, I agree completely. I can't believe it, I knew it was gonna happen, but I'm still completely shocked. Gahhh, shut up and keeping reading Hannah.....

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's those kinds of reactions that often compel authors to continue writing. I know it brightens my day when people truly enjoy the food I make.

Aurora you cook? cool. wish I could. I love how the series has no flat characters. all the amazing characters kept me in the series as I eagerly anticipated new characters and backgrounds.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes the shear amount of characters can get a little overwhelming, but I still love learning about each character.

Aurora usually, it's the same for me which is why I was a little hesitant to start the series. but, I ended up loving the amount of characters and the way each one is connected to the other.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments The characters are just amazing in this series, which it makes so lovable it is gonna be one of my favourites forever :)

message 30: by Maryam (new)

Maryam (iluvpeace) | 99 comments I feel left out because I didn't read this book!!

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Well the you should! It is one of the best manga/anime ever! I love it so much :)

Aurora so read it! I've been telling you to. Trust me, even though it's a bit long and is a little slow at times, the characters will make it worth it(which is unique since usually plot makes a series remarkable). you won't be able to pick a single favorite.

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I second Aurora's statement:)

message 34: by Arwen (new)

Arwen Kyo, tohru and kisa and momiji

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Momiji is one of everyone's favorites. He's so happy and care free, but also has a sadder side to him.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Momiji is personally my favourite! he is so cute and happy-go-lucky! But yes there is a sadder side to him too. But that makes him all the more a believable character, that everyone has to love :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Momiji and Tohru are my favorites, though I also like Ayame and Haru.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Tohru is just soooooo sweet and innocent! She is so giving as well, no one can just hate her for it!

message 39: by Police (new) - added it

Police Man | 1 comments I like this manga so much

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm getting close to finally finishing it. I almost finished it a few years ago, but then for some reason just stopped. I'm on volume 19 now. Hope to finish soon.

Nekokit | 747 comments I've watched Fruits Basket the anime, but I haven't read the manga.
Should I read the manga?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I would recommend the manga. The series is a little bit longer (23 volumes), but really good.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yes you should, though I haven't finished the manga. I think the manga is awesome, especially if you want to see the series continue after the end of the anime

Nekokit | 747 comments I'm going to star reading it!
Thanks a lot!

Aurora Enjoy ^.^

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 26 comments I loved both the anime and the manga and this is the reason I got into manga because I watched the anime several times and decided I wanted to know how it ended. So I read the manga.

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Kyo is so funny :)

Aurora Wednesday wrote: "I think I'm the only one who isn't a Kyo fan. Kyo's complex, but I don't like how he is always yelling and wanting to fight and jumping to conclusions.

My favorites are Ayame and Ritsu. Ayame is ..."

I liked Ayame too. Especially his interactions with his brother. I feel as if Ritsu was the only character not fully utilized. What a lost of a good character.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

A lot of people could have related to him, too. Ritsu showed up in like one or two volumes, and then at the end.