One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

Archive 1.0 > June 2012 Readathon

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya (last edited Jun 15, 2012 10:42AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Since June is the end of the first half of the year, we're making this readathon a little longer and adding another day-long!!!

Week-long Readathon: June 16th (12 am) thru June 24th (11:59 pm)
Day-long Readathons: June 16th (12 am - 11:59 pm), June 19th (12 am - 11:59 pm), and June 22nd (12 am - 11:59 pm)

Rules:
~Just have fun!

Breaking It Down:
~You can read towards a goal of books, pages, hours, or any combination of the three. Aim for what will help you with challenges, or make a goal that IS a challenge!
~~You can keep track of how long you read by writing the exact minutes down on paper, like I do, or you can just estimate from the time you start reading to the time you stop and write that down. Either way is up to you.
~This will be the topic where you can post your reading progress and discuss with others about what they're reading.
~At the end of the day-long readathon, I will have a Summary topic up and running so those of you that only do the Day-long can go ahead and post your summaries.

If you have any questions, ask below!

message 2: by Zakiya (last edited Jun 11, 2012 10:32PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Not sure what my goals will be. I'm thinking 3 books, 700 pages, and 200 minutes. Might change this later on when I make my goals post, though.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 24, 2012 09:50PM) (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) Well, as I need to get most all of my reading for up through the 1st week in July done by June 24th, I am in desperate need of some serious reading time. I have seriously lacked in my reading for the past 3 weeks and I need to rectify that =)

So for the 9-day long readathon this month, I would like to reach an hour goal of 50 hours. We shall see how close to that I get, but it will be a good motivator to read for more than an hour a day!

Goals: 50 hours 3000 minutes

Final Minutes: 1630 / 3000 (27 hours 10 minutes)

Books Read/Reading:
Of Poseidon: pages 228-326 (Finished!) @ 70 minutes
The Awakening : pages 1-253 (Finished!) @ 155 minutes
Until I Die : pages 1-357 @ 275 minutes (Finished!)
A Game of Thrones : pages 1-48 @ 70 minutes
The Walking Dead, Book Three : pages 1-304 @ 120 minutes (Finished!)
I've Got Your Number : pages 1-433 @ 340 minutes (Finished!)
Sharp Objects : pages 1-254 @ 350 minutes (Finished!)
The Good Dream : pages 1-18 @ 15 minutes

Audiobook:
Princess in Love: @ 175 minutes (Finished!)
Princess in Waiting: @ 60 minutes

Pages Read: 1765 pages

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Jun 23, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments You can do it Jennifer!!!!

I believe in you!

I think I want to hit 4-5 books that week with 1000 pages and 8 hours listened. We will see how we do.

Reading Plan:
Halfway to the Grave (audiobook) DONE
The Winds of War (audiobook)
Divergent
Leaving Paradise (1-
Glimmerglass (1-178) DONE
Vampire Academy

Day One:
Halfway to the Grave
Leaving Paradise (1-32)
Glimmerglass

message 5: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Great goals, ladies!! This will be very exciting indeed :)

message 6: by Zakiya (last edited Jun 25, 2012 04:47AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Duration: June 16-24
Goals: 5 books, 1000 pages, 300 minutes (5 hrs)

Finish:
~Bewitching (40 pages) DONE

Start & Finish:
~Hourglass (400 pages) DONE
~Blue Bloods (302 pages) DONE
~Total Blueprint for World Domination (77 pages) DONE

Start:
~The Shapeshifters (329 pages)

Daylong #1 (16th)
Goal: 2 books, not reached

Finished Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2) by Alex Flinn , read the first 6% in Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire

Daylong #2 (19th)
Goal: finish Blue Bloods, not reached

Read 132 pages in Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz

Daylong #3 (22nd)
Goal: finish Total Blueprint, reached

Finished Total Blueprint for World Domination  by Jolene Stockman

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 138 comments Seeing as I have to work 7 of the 9 days scheduled for this read-a-thon, I'm going to be setting the bar pretty low for this read-a-thon! At one point I'll be working about 90 hours straight! (Ah, the life of a nanny) Soooo, I'm not anticipating getting a ton read, hoping to get 3 books read and I'll be happy.

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments I will be working 7 days through that time frame too! I am just lucky that I won't have a co-worker on vacation that week. That will definitely work for my benefit.

message 9: by Shauna (last edited Jun 24, 2012 11:23PM) (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 175 comments I believe the dates of the week-long readathon should read June 16 - June 24.

I really like this idea! I'm in this month. Last month was just too hectic. As a bonus, the readathon will dovetail nicely into the kickoff for the summer reading program at my local library.

My current stack of TBR includes:

Sanctus by Simon Toyne
Omega Theory by Mark Alpert
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (I think everyone else has read this already!)
The Wave by Susan Casey
The Fifth Witness by Michael Connolly
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

We'll see what kind of dent I manage to leave. Good luck to everyone!

Update 6/19/2012

I finished Sanctus before the readathon began. Here are my current reads:

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver 232
The Wave by Susan Casey 66/326

Edit 6/20

Today I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! I would highly recommend the book, which is much more than a biography. There are elements of history, science and ethics which play a big part as well.

6/24

I finally finished The Wave today. It was a good book about giant waves and the climate changes which have made them possible. The book also describes the efforts of oceanographers, physicists and geologists to understand what is happening. On the other hand, surfers also have an intimate knowledge of many phenomena, and the book also chronicles changes in the sport which have come as the competitors seek to challenge themselves as much as possible.

Totals for the readathon:

Books: 3
Pages 893

message 10: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Thanks, Shauna! I always manage to change the numbers and forget the words. And I haven't read Immortal Life yet so you're good :)

My library has a summer reading contest this summer, too, but I haven't checked into it yet. I'll have to do that soon.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) ★Meghan★ wrote: "You can do it Jennifer!!!!

I believe in you!

HAHA Thanks Meghan!!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 493 comments There's a summer reading program also going on right now at my local library too!

message 13: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm starting to think everyone's library does that lol :)

message 14: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmarble) | 80 comments I'm heading to the beach for most of this readathon so I'll definitely be getting a lot of reading in. I'd really like to get through 5 books.

Reading plan:
The American Heiress
Garden Spells
The Blind Assassin
The Fellowship of the Ring
Paper Towns

message 15: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Jun 25, 2012 06:20PM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 245 comments I'm going to do something different for me this time and resist the temptation to preset a goal. I'm just going to see where the reading adventures take me for this readathon month (week long).
I'll update as I read along :)

Updated 6.23

Killer Crullers by Jessica Beck 276 pages; (6.16)
No Angelby Penny Vincenzi 626 pages; (6.17)
Gossamer by Lois Lowry 144 pages (6.19)
Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein 384 pages (6.21)
Berserk: My Voyage to the Antarctic in a Twenty-Seven-Foot Sailboat by David Mercy 256 pages (6.23)

message 16: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Good luck to everyone!!! Midnight won't get here fast enough :)

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Goldstein Completely messed around during last month's read-a-thon (Forgot to summarize, which I'll do after this note).

Going to set my sights a bit lower, 3 books and/or 625 pages.

message 18: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Good luck, Lori!

message 19: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) Since I'm feeling great (unlike last month) I'm going to do this month's to completion.

I will finish Kill Shot and try for 3 books and 1500 pages.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) Midnight in the Central Time!

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Goldstein Midnite (really 12:06 am) in the Pacific Standard Time Zone.

message 22: by Zakiya (last edited Jun 16, 2012 08:55AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) :)

Good luck, Anne!

I finished my first book this morning, Bewitching. I'm actually behind because I should've been finishing Hourglass but oh well. Maybe I'll still finish it today.

message 23: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 245 comments first update on original message #15

message 24: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Lindy-Lane wrote: "first update on original message #15"

Great start!

message 25: by Megan L (last edited Jun 16, 2012 01:51PM) (new)

Megan L Harnett | 195 comments Read-a-thon: June 16-24th
Goal: 8 books, 3 audiobooks and 1,200 pages

Total: 1/8 books, 0/3 audio books, 281/1,200 pages, 0 minutes listened

Saturday June 16, 2012

1. Succubus Shadows by Richelle Mead: 281 pages

message 26: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Good luck, Megan!

message 27: by Tracy T. (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Tracy T. | 69 comments June 16-24, 2012
Goal: 1/7 books.

Jun 16, 2012
1. The Accidental Vampire (Argeneau, #7) by Lynsay Sands

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Good luck with your reading, Tracy :)

message 29: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. | 69 comments Zakiya wrote: "Good luck with your reading, Tracy :)"

Thanks Zakiya. I'll post it in the other thread from now on.

message 30: by Zakiya (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Alrighty; I'll have to remember that :).

Didn't even get close to finishing Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire yesterday, but I'm at 23% in it now. It's sooo good; wish I had money so I could get Timepiece after I finish.

message 31: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 138 comments Two books down! Looks like I'll make my low goal of three!

Finished I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella and The Walking Dead, Vol. 12: Life Among Them by Robert Kirkman.

Going to try to tackle Ten Miles Past Normal by Frances O'Roark Dowell next.

message 32: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Great reading, Stacie !

message 33: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Finished my 2nd book, Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire ; seriously tired. Will try to start Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz before I hit the hay.

message 34: by Vera (last edited Jun 19, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Vera (verareads) | 123 comments My goal this month is to read 6 books, and listen to 2 audio books. Our library is doing the summer reading program also, so I want to get as much read as possible this week. Saturday started out slow because I was busy with other things all day, but things should settle down now.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Deadliest Bite (Jaz Parks, #8) by Jennifer Rardin The Deadliest Bite, Rardin, pages 1-68
Adam, Eve, and the Serpent by Elaine Pagels Adam, Eve, and the Serpent, Pagels, pages 57 through 67
Pages Read: 78

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rardin, pages 68 through 264
Pagels, pages 67 through 97
Pages Read: 226

Started listening to Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher Shockaholic,Fisher, listened to first 11.57 minutes.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Finished The Deadliest Bite (Jaz Parks, #8) by Jennifer Rardin The Deadliest Bite, Rardin, pages 264 through 309
Finshed Adam, Eve, and the Serpent by Elaine Pagels Adam, Eve, and the SerpentPagels, pages 97-154.
Started How to Knit a Wild Bikini (Malibu and Ewe #1) by Christie Ridgway How to Knit a Wild Bikini,Ridgway, pages 1 through 25
Continued with Finding Your Religion When the Faith You Grew Up With Has Lost Its Meaning by Scotty McLennan Finding Your Religion: When the Faith You Grew Up With Has Lost Its Meaning,McLennan, pages 67 through 75.

Pages Read: 135

message 35: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Good luck, Vera! You all keep reminding me to check about the reading program :).

On page 25 in Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz , but it's pretty good so far. Hopefully I can finish it by tomorrow at the latest.

message 36: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 138 comments Finished book 3 this morning! Ten Miles Past Normal and about halfway through The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy and I hope to finish it today

message 37: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Woohoo!!

About a third of the way through Blue Bloods, hoping to finish it by tomorrow if I don't today.

message 38: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I finished Blue Bloods today while we were on the way back from Memphis. Started Total Blueprint for World Domination, pretty good so far. I love the fact that it's a motivational book. The title seems like it would be a scifi novel, but it's a good surprise. Definite intriguing :).

message 39: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 138 comments Another two finished!! I think that brings my total to five read, which is way more that I thought I'd get done! Finished The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy and One For The Money. I also started Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks: Fifty Years Of Mysteries In The Making Includes Two Unpublished Poirot Stories at work today, but I don't know if I'll finish it by this weekend or not.

Tomorrow morning starts by 90 straight hours of work and I don't know how much reading I'll be able to get done. I have a few graphic novels out from the library and I'm tempted to take some of them with me to read after the kids go to bed each night. But then again, I may be so exhausted that nothing will get read!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) I finished my 5th book today! Apparently I read really quickly, because I am only 1/3 of the way through my hour goal. But I am getting a lot of reading done, and that is what matters! **Updated message 3**

message 41: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Stacie- I hope you don't get too exhausted! Being all the time isn't fun.

Jennifer- Great reading! :)

message 42: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) **Post 6** Changed the last few books in the goal.

message 43: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) finished Total Blueprint. Starting The Shapeshifters.

message 44: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 138 comments Finished one more yesterday! Read My Girlfriend's Boyfriend by Elodia Strain. Thinking of trying to read Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland tonight.

message 45: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) That makes 6 books, Stacie! You doubled your goal :D

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ace_librarian) Whoo just finished my 7th book! That is amazing! Sadly I do not think I will make it much past halfway to my goal, but I did read quite a bit (and a lot quicker than I thought I could lol) 22 hours left. We'll see if I can get another couple hours in. =)

Great reading this week, peeps!

message 47: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) You've definitely got some great reading yourself, Jennifer! At least now you know to aim lower if you do hours because you read so fast! :D

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 138 comments Zakiya wrote: "That makes 6 books, Stacie! You doubled your goal :D"

And I managed to finish another last night when I finally got home! Bringing my total to 7, which was way more than I thought I'd read!

message 49: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Wow! You are seriously on top of your reading big time! I still can't believe you managed to do all that and work a really busy week. *shakes head in amazement*