Werewolves/Shape-Shifters discussion

.::Choices::. > Vampire vs. Werewolves

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Which one you like and why.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Cox | 1 comments umm werewolves. I'm a dog lover. LOL does that count. But also because I usually see them as more warm/hot and more likely to follow their passions than to hold back and be cool and reticent. Which is what i think of with vampires.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

exactly Suzanne

message 4: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Werewolves for certain, because vampires are overrated, and overdone, also there's something primal and interesting about the duality, of the beast inside which extends beyond werewolves to include characters like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, to even Bruce Banner and The Hulk. Oh, and best of all, they do not sparkle or play baseball, or twist the word vegetarian.

message 5: by Delaney (new)

Delaney I think I actually like both. If we aren't talking Twilight type then vampires are actually really awesome, sucking blood. Come on!--what get's more gruesome and they rip people apart. They are like zombies but ever more different. And werewolves has the dog part, where it's pretty awesome and they can shift into a werewolf, killing people.

That's excluding all point from Twilight, cause that just kills the fact that they are paranormal monsters. :)

message 6: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) You're right, if done well both werewolves and vampires are inherently intriguing to write and read about, being a slave to the thirst is very similar to being in thrall to the moon or the inner beast, personally I consider vampires or werewolves who do not have at least some issues with losing control as not being real supernaturals.

message 7: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Woolfie wrote: "You're right, if done well both werewolves and vampires are inherently intriguing to write and read about, being a slave to the thirst is very similar to being in thrall to the moon or the inner be..."

Thank you! I applaud you for understanding!

And then this whole trend came in which they did more of weakling style and I wanted the paranormal person to actual "lose control" and to actually kill someone or some thing and not "love" taking control of them and the story. Please, a good one. Please actually people are scared of them instead of wanting to love them.

message 8: by Ross (last edited Nov 19, 2012 08:34PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) I don't mind them being lovable, it kind of contrasts with their element of internal struggle, with the possibility of losing control, not because they are evil, but because they are naturally programmed to have such instincts; it's that ongoing internal civil wars that make werewolves and vampires such pitiable, sympathetic and terrifying creatures.

I like the idea that romanticising vampires and werewolves was their idea of luring unsuspecting prey, so instead of hunting, like in the old days, get someone to write twilight, and wait for the girls to come to you, the vampire definition of fast food:p

message 9: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Well, that is true. Excepts it's so much internal struggle it deflates the whole idea. Though, yes, you get to see of why they are evil or why they are how they are, I sometimes just wish, they are just like how they are just because they are like how they are. Not all the explaining that No, they do not suck on people. And Yes, the can be in the sunlight. And Yes, they can eat other food. Why can't it be. Yes, I can be in the sunlight so live with the fact that you have fallen for a vampire and he craves your smell every single day? Ha, ha, right, because things aren't like that. It has to be too explanatory. Sheesh.

But, hey, smart vampires.

message 10: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Plus wih so much vamp fiction about, you'd think they'd have evolved to the point where a human couldn't say 'hey, aren't you a vampire?' I mean I'm a huge fan of the classics, but as you say there's no need to explain it, why not just present them and let the reader, audience make the connection, without resorting to tried and tired cliches?

Instead of being evil, vampires could just subscribe to a different set of values, and they drink blood not because they want to, but because they have to, much as we need to slaughter animals to eat their meat or harvest crops.

message 11: by Delaney (new)

Delaney No kidding! :)

message 12: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Kathy wrote: "Shapeshifters in general have a certain appeal. I do agree that the population seems unrealistic in some stories though, like that movie about everyone except a few humans being vampires, it just w..."

Are you talking about Daybreakers?

message 13: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Or half human half vamp miracle gro babies:p