The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games question

Did ANYONE not like this book?
Aidyn Aidyn (last edited Jun 11, 2012 09:21PM ) Jun 11, 2012 09:12PM
really? people keep telling me the hunger games is so amazing...
now before you go and tell me i have brain damage for not liking the books, save it and get out of this discussion!!
but really, if anyone
(i know there must be someone!)
who didnt like this book, speak up cuz i completly agree

I did not like it for reasons best left unsaid as not to offend anyone.

Sam (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:27AM ) Jun 12, 2012 01:26AM   1 vote
I agree with you, this book is garbage.

Paulina (last edited Jun 11, 2012 09:31PM ) Jun 11, 2012 09:23PM   0 votes
I read the book because it was really short, and I though it would be fun to compare it to the movie and all the "hype" it has generated.

Before I write about WHY I didn't care for the book (although, I didn't hate it, either), I must be fair and say that:

1. I'm not a frequent reader of YA
2. My favorite part of any book is character development

OKAY!

So, I didn't "find" the character development in this book and thus I couldn't care less who lived or died. Also, I LATER found out that this story is strangely similar to a Japanese horror novel/movie, "Battle Royale", that came out years ago, after which, my impression of the book dropped (although, it could be just a coincidence).

However, I will likely read the other two books to finish out the series - plus it is a fast read.

deleted member Jun 18, 2012 08:18PM   0 votes
honestly...I can just say I hated it. dont ask me for reasons, I just think it was horrible as a series. As a book alone, sure its ok....but then they tie it with 2 more books. I think they should have left it as a single write.

i loved the hunger games and catching fire, mockingjay was a bit too depressing but it was ok

Aidyn wrote: "really? people keep telling me the hunger games is so amazing...
now before you go and tell me i have brain damage for not liking the books, save it and get out of this discussion!!
but really, i..."

I think the book is OK. I will admit, I liked it much more before visiting these boards. I think it's incredibly overrated and is taken way too seriously. Is it a sad book? Sure. Did Katniss' circumstances suck? Sure. But this is a work of fiction not a textbook.

In my opinion, this book is taken way too seriously.

Aidyn But this is a work of fiction not a textbook.
that is the truth. period.

Jun 24, 2012 07:52PM · flag

but really, i..."

I thought it was pointless, too. Your not the only one-People say that to me too, that i have problems because of it-even my teacher, But their joking :)

i think my dislike for the book comes from the fact that i might just not like Dystopian fiction and just like fantasy fiction, more.
I don't see what the big deal is over these books, but am reading the whole series anyway-you might as well know what the big fuss is about!

-anyway i am almost finished the third book-like, 99% through, and the series doesn't get better, in my opinion. in order of likeness, (One being the better one :)
1) Catching Fire (#2)
2) Hunger Games (#1)
3) Mockingjay (#3)

-Just my opinion :)

Zooney (last edited Jun 24, 2012 06:14AM ) Jun 24, 2012 06:12AM   0 votes
but really, i..."

I thought it was ok. Confusing at times. I Like the second book a lot more. I think the trilogy is good and perfect for movie adaptation, but does not deserve all that fuss.

I did not enjoy this series at all. My friend recommended it to me so I got about half way through the first one and did not like what I was reading. I didn't even see the movie because I did not enjoy the books.

I didn't hate Hunger Games but I certainly came away from the book wondering what all the hype was about. It was okay at best. I think the combined genre YA and post-apocalyptic hid the fact that it is not the best YA book out there by a long shot nor is it the best post-apocalyptic book by any stretch of the imagination.

I tried this book, and it met my expectations. (They were that the book was going to be badly written and a load of bull manure)

Hunger Games was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Catching Fire and Mockingjay didn't do it for me at all.

-The idea was great..I think.
-The characters were rather dull due to the lack of sufficient development.
-I wasn't captured..and I wanted/tried so badly to be.
-It began to feel like a chore just to pick the book back up.
-Couldn't wait until it was over.
-Torture for the most part and a bit boring.

Honestly, I really wanted to like it. No, I wanted to fall in love with it utterly but..it sort of just sucked.
There were moments when I finally became pleasantly drawn into the story and actually even liked it, but only for a while, and then it was right back to..well boredom.

okay, I am not voting if you said twilight is good. I am sorry, but vampires make me want to barf out my inner soul.

deleted user I agree, I dont get the whole vampire thing. I hate it...
Jun 18, 2012 08:18PM · flag

It's a great book, and it's ok to have your opinin, but I believe this book is among the good ones. (e.g) Twilight and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. This book is amazing, and the film adaptation was good as well.

VOTE THIS ANSWER IF YOU AGREE.