If you like DOGS discussion

Does anyone know of any good Dog Psychology Books?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I am intrested in reading some books about how the dogs mind works. I have read a few but I wonder if there are some other great books. I would like to know more about what my dog is thinking.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Heather wrote: "I am intrested in reading some books about how the dogs mind works. I have read a few but I wonder if there are some other great books. I would like to know more about what my dog is thinking. "

Hi Heather,
There is a book called "How Dogs Learn"--can't remember author--may be more re: behavior, though. Also, "When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals" by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. There are books on "Calming Signals" that help us read some of the cues dogs exhibit so we know what they are feeling. I think the books on how dogs think may stiil need to be written--I think there's so much we don't know!

Dawn Kairns
author, Maggie: the dog who changed my life
http://www.dawnkairns.com

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments These look great. If you check out the books that I have read there are some great dog psychology books on there that are great. I will read the ones that you gave me.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I just finished when Elephants Weep. That was such a great book and really changed my views on a lot of things. I now vow to never purchase any products tested on animals. What a great insight and must read for animal lovers like those in this group.

message 5: by Dawn (last edited Jan 30, 2009 06:06PM) (new)

message 6: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 31, 2009 04:58AM) (new)

Chrissie I higly recommend Merle's Door. It is about a particular dog, but there is a lot in there which says how I dog's mind works and the author refers to many great books. The end is very difficult, and I don't know if I really agree with it. One cannot judge from words when a dog is suffering. You have know and see the dog and his owner. You have to be there! My 13 year old curly recently died. I have two pictures of him on my profile. He was the best dog EVER!

message 7: by Dawn (last edited Mar 31, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Dawn | 9 comments I loved Merle's Door, too, but had a hard time with the end. I think I would have handled it differently, but everyone has to walk their path...

Dawn Kairns
Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
www.dawnkairns.com

message 8: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 1 comments Hi guys,

You might be interested in my book, "Puppy Chow is Better than Prozac."

It's about how my puppy, Ozzy, saved my life.

puppychowisbetterthanprozac.com

Woof!
bruce and Ozzy

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Dawn, I agree about the ending of Merle's Door. I feel that Merle suffered at the end oarticularly because this dog was such a thinker. As the owner of a dog it is one's responsibility to judge when is the right moment. Difficult as it may be! One has to think of the dog more than yourself. But I wasn't there so maybe I am wrong.

message 10: by Dawn (last edited Apr 01, 2009 03:19PM) (new)

Dawn | 9 comments Looks like you're doing well as a New York Times Best Seller! Congratulations!

Author of MAGGIE: the dog who changed my life
http://www.dawnkairns.com

Bruce wrote: "Hi guys,

You might be interested in my book, "Puppy Chow is Better than Prozac."

It's about how my puppy, Ozzy, saved my life.

puppychowisbetterthanprozac.com

Woof!
bruce and Ozzy"

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 9 comments It's so hard to know until we're in the situation, don't you think? I was fortunate to meet Ted Kerasote (the author)and he clearly loved Merle so, so much. I don't think I could have done it the way he did, but it's so different for everyone. With Maggie (the dog in my book)I feared we waited too long, yet 6 hours earlier would have been too soon...know what I mean?
It's just never easy...

www.dawnkairns.com

Chrissie wrote: "Dawn, I agree about the ending of Merle's Door. I feel that Merle suffered at the end oarticularly because this dog was such a thinker. As the owner of a dog it is one's responsibility to judge whe..."

message 12: by Craig (new)

Craig (craigs9000) | 3 comments Heather wrote: "I am intrested in reading some books about how the dogs mind works. I have read a few but I wonder if there are some other great books. I would like to know more about what my dog is thinking. "

message 13: by Craig (new)

Craig (craigs9000) | 3 comments How Dogs Think, Understanding the Canine Mind/author Stanley Coren

message 14: by Craig (new)

Craig (craigs9000) | 3 comments Craig wrote: "Heather wrote: "I am intrested in reading some books about how the dogs mind works. I have read a few but I wonder if there are some other great books. I would like to know more about what my dog i..."

The Truth About Dogs,...Canine Mind... Budiansky, adds to this, but doesn't quite do dogs full justice. The recent cover article in Time 8/16/10 on animal intelligence, and the author's interview on Charlie Rose rounds out Budiansky's underestimation in 2000 of Dogs ability to understand that people and other animals have a separate consciousness. Scratch his overgeneralization about his sheepdog who just thinks the door opens because he sits in front of it, for example. I to have an insatiable desire to understand what my dogs are thinking, particularly my cattle dog/aussie mix rescue. He's complex and so very deep. Hope you add more references toward this goal.