The Sword and Laser discussion

VOTE for the July 'Laser" book pick

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1149 comments Mod
Don't forget to get out the vote.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67...

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Wow last time we had a vote I didn't want any of the options, this time I'm torn between 2 (and actually wouldn't mind any of them). Decisions, decisions.

message 3: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 639 comments Wow! They all look great. I already have two of them in audiobook, so will be happy with whatever is picked!

message 4: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1149 comments Mod
Yes! Yes! The laser side is awesome!

message 5: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair As far as I could tell, Chung Kuo: The Middle Kingdom is not in print in the U.S. (print or kindle.)

message 6: by Walrus (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:42AM) (new)

Walrus | 80 comments Is this some kind of creepy church thing, where the men can only read the books Tom recommends, or are we allowed to read the books Laser picks too?

message 7: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Walrus wrote: "Is this some kind of creepy church thing, where the men can only read the books Tom recommends, or are we allowed to read the books Laser picks too?"

Strange comment. Everyone can read every book. No segregation here. :-)

message 8: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Yeah I don't know what that comment is about...

message 9: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments Only religious books on walruses and oysters allowed.

message 10: by Todd (new)

Todd (goofusmcnoofus) | 8 comments Oh yeah, Monty Tusk and the Holy Shuck is a great walrus/oyster book.

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6189 comments Coo coo cah choo?

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Aloha wrote: "Only religious books on walruses and oysters allowed."

Don't forget the carpenter.

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments LMAO! Of course. I love Dogma.

message 14: by Kam (new)

Kam (kam_martinez) | 59 comments I've got my fingers crossed for Leviathan Wakes. All this recent talk across various podcasts about the Dragon launch and the feasibility of asteroid mining have got me looking forward to it :D.

message 15: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments +Kam The Prologue looks interesting, but I'm a one book at a time person, or else I worry that I'll get the characters mixed up.

The prose reads well in the excerpt, if the rest of the book is like that it might be enjoyable. I'm going to check it out. I'm weighing it against 2312. Did you read that?

Here is the except for Leviathan Wakes: http://goo.gl/gkGNE

message 16: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments +Kam I read a little further and it has violence against women depicted in a way I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. So I don't know at this point.

message 17: by Kam (new)

Kam (kam_martinez) | 59 comments Walrus wrote: "+Kam The Prologue looks interesting, but I'm a one book at a time person, or else I worry that I'll get the characters mixed up."

I'm also a one book at a time person :D. I've just finished An Edible History of Humanity, and I've got Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter on-tap for my next book; given my current reading pace, I'll be all set to start July with the Laser pick, whatever it might be :D.

Walrus wrote: "The prose reads well in the excerpt, if the rest of the book is like that it might be enjoyable. I'm going to check it out. I'm weighing it against 2312. Did you read that?"

I read the excerpt as well, and I did quite like it, not to mention the concept. I haven't read 2312 yet, but I've got it on-tap. I mix my genres up whenever I change books so I don't get genre fatigue, so I might not get to it for a while.

Walrus wrote: "+Kam I read a little further and it has violence against women depicted in a way I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. So I don't know at this point."

Hm. Interesting. Usually there's a reason for including such material, but thanks for the heads-up.

message 18: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments +Kam It has been along time since I read for entertainment, fiction or non-fiction. 2312 sounds like the kind of books I like. I remember Babylon 5 from way back high school.

I messed up and listened to the spoiler on The Magicians, so even though I have the Kindle version, I won't read it. Reading a book that ends sadly when I know the end is sad is demotivating. Of course not all books can end positively, otherwise they get boring, although I prefer a positive end over a sad one.

So, this time I'm learning from my mistakes and doing a little more research. Now, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter sounds awesome, the first time I saw that title I just couldn't stop laughing.

So, if Robert E. Lee is a Vampire, does that mean that the Dukes of Hazard wouldn't have gotten made? And with that the 1970's phenomenon of cutting old jeans into shorts wouldn't have happened?

message 19: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Walrus wrote: "And with that the 1970's phenomenon of cutting old jeans into shorts wouldn't have happened?"

The horror...

message 20: by Jonathan Cate (new)

Jonathan Cate | 57 comments I just read Leviathan Wakes a couple months ago and really liked it. I have a copy of Altered Carbon ready to go so I voted for that. I'll be reading it soon regardless.

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments I voted for Leviathan Wakes because the description reminds me of Heavy Time. I'd be happy to revisit The Martian Chronicles if the vote goes that way, & I could live with Altered Carbon.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (truckinggeek) | 25 comments I've voted for Leviathan Wakes. Mostly because I've already started reading it after last weeks video podcast :-)

message 23: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Voted for Leviathan Wakes. I listened to Martian Chronicles years ago and can't remember if I liked it or not which doesn't inspire me to read it again. Leviathan sounded more interesting to me than Altered Carbon.

message 24: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Case (count_zero) | 54 comments I voted for Martian Chronicles as, well, I read Leviathan Wakes about a month ago, and I've already read Altered Carbon. Now, I like Altered Carbon, and I do think more people should read it - but I've already read it, and I haven't read The Martian Chronicles (just watched the TV miniseries).

message 25: by Yamil (new)

Yamil (yamilyamilyamil) I voted for Leviathan Wakes just off the strength of The Butcher of Anderson Station. It was a fun read.

message 26: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6189 comments I'll probably finish it today. I have about 80 minutes of reading left.

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (holeyknight) | 16 comments I liked all the options, but I ended up voting for the Martian Chronicles because I havn't read much sci-fi from earlier parts of the 20th century.

message 28: by Skaw (new)

Skaw | 116 comments I voted for Altered Carbon (because I've read Leviathan wakes), but I have a feeling its going to be Bradbury due to his recent death.

I've also read Chung Kuo (you can find it at the library), and though it's been awhile I remember it as one of those that tries to suck you into the next one with dangling storylines. I think I read to about the third one in the series before I gave up.

message 29: by Gareth (last edited Jun 17, 2012 03:01AM) (new)

Gareth Campbell | 8 comments I will abstain from voting as to not knowing much about any of them. This group is quickly highlighting my lack of knowledge in the 'laser' department.

message 30: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments Gareth, use it as an opportunity to learn more about SFs.

message 31: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments Gareth, this is where you should read the blurbs & see which ones sound most interesting to you.

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike Thicke (mikethicke) | 70 comments Gareth, I try to only vote for books I haven't read, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. As Richard said, read the blurbs and then vote for Altered Carbon.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Gareth, how are you?

message 34: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 639 comments I'm loaded for bear (mostly)! Have acquired 3 of the 4 picks for July. Give me your best, S&L!

message 35: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Too late. Ah, well.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris (shoggothlord) Based on the Good Reads info, I want to read Leviathan Wakes. However, in deference to the passing of the great Bradbury, and the fact I have the Martian Chronicles already (and hadn't read it as yet), I voted for it. We'll see what happens.

message 37: by Otto (new)

Otto (andrewlinke) | 110 comments Voted for Altered Carbon, but happy to read any of them. Glad to have Laser again (and time to read over the summer).

message 38: by Lepton (new)

Lepton | 176 comments Hurrah!! I voted for the least popular book again! I'm special!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Lepton wrote: "Hurrah!! I voted for the least popular book again! I'm special!"

In so many ways.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

And I just have to say that this makes 5 books in a row that have been voted on that I've already read.

Can we please make the next one a dictatorial pick that I haven't read yet?

message 41: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6189 comments I just finished it too. I guess we should hold off talking about it. :p

message 42: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments If y'all would stop pimping the books you have finished & think everyone else should read & start pimping the books that you want to read next, maybe that wouldn't happen as often. :-p

I've been listening to the older podcasts recently, & it seems that Altered Carbon lost out to Neuromancer as the very 1st book pick, while they have just recently interviewed the authors of Leviathan Wakes for the video show.

Perhaps there should be a ban on books they've already talked about or that have been in the running more than 4 or 5 times already?

Of the July options, I've only read The Martian Chronicles before, & that was over 30 years ago, so I was good with the selections offered. :-)

message 43: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments Richard wrote: "If y'all would stop pimping the books you have finished & think everyone else should read & start pimping the books that you want to read next, maybe that wouldn't happen as often. :-p

I've been l..."

People, myself included, just like complaining. I don't think picking books no one has read should really be a goal. :)

message 44: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6189 comments Never give up! Never surrender!

message 45: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 377 comments whats kind of jacked up is I stopped reading Tigania to read Leviathan Wakes.

message 46: by John (new)

John Wiswell | 86 comments Honestly surprised Leviathan Wakes won the poll. I figured Bradbury would take it for sure. Since there's such widespread fondness for him, though, I'm sure he'll take another poll later or make a dictatorial pick.

All the same, psyched to have a group to finish Leviathan Wakes with. Ran out of steam the last time I tried, and am curious how others will take to the writing style. That is, if winning the poll sways our leaders.

message 47: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments John wrote: "That is, if winning the poll sways our leaders."

Looks as if it's already been marked as the upcoming book on the front page of the group.

message 48: by Sean (new)

Sean Burke (spb273) | 71 comments As soon as this poll cam about I bought Leviathan wakes because it seemed cool anyway. maybe I have some kind of clairvoyance! Or not haha. One can dream.

message 49: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Well, what I voted for didn't win but I'm still happy with the choice. AND I already had it on my Kindle. :)

message 50: by Steve (new)

Steve Bedford (realityinabox) Just read the sample of LW from Amazon. Seems like it is going to be a good one, though I am new to reading Sci-Fi, so my palette may be underdeveloped. Super excited to read on!

« previous 1