Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

What was the first Christie you read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 403 (403 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) | 243 comments Mod
Just curious as to what was the book that started it all for you guys. My first book was And Then There Were None and I was hooked from the second I finished!

message 2: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jan 10, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 4574 comments Mod
Here's a tabulation of the first read books - I'll add as we go

4 50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8) by Agatha Christie 4:50 from Paddington 2

The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot #13) by Agatha Christie ABC Murders 9

After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31) by Agatha Christie After the Funeral aka Funerals Are Fatal (Hercule Poirot, #29) by Agatha Christie Funerals Are Fatal2

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None aka Ten Little Indians 38

At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11) by Agatha Christie At Bertram's Hotel 1

The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5) by Agatha Christie The Big Four 1

Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7) by Charles Osborne Black Coffee 1

The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3) by Agatha Christie The Body in the Library 7

By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence, #4) by Agatha Christie By the Pricking of My Thumbs 1

Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot #15) by Agatha Christie Cards on the Table 1

Cat Among the Pigeons (Hercule Poirot, #34) by Agatha Christie Cat Among the Pigeons 4

A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10) by Agatha Christie A Caribbean Mystery 2

The Clocks (Hercule Poirot, #37) by Agatha Christie The Clocks 3

Come, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha Christie Mallowan Come, Tell Me How You Live 1

Crooked House by Agatha Christie Crooked House 2

Curtain (Hercule Poirot #42) by Agatha Christie Curtain 4

Death in the Clouds (Hercule Poirot, #12) by Agatha Christie Death in the Clouds aka Death in the Air by Agatha Christie Death in the Air 6

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile 9

Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot, #16) by Agatha Christie Dumb Witness aka Poirot Loses a Client (Hercule Poirot, #16) by Agatha Christie Poirot Loses a Client 1

Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #40) by Agatha Christie Elephants Can Remember 5

Endless Night by Agatha Christie Endless Night 1

Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot #24) by Agatha Christie Evil Under the Sun 3

Five Little Pigs (Hercule Poirot #25) by Agatha Christie Five Little Pigs 3

Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot #39) by Agatha Christie Halloween Party 1

Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot, #20) by Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot's Christmas 1

Hickory Dickory Dock (Hercule Poirot, #32) by Agatha Christie Hickory Dickory Dock 4

The Hollow (Hercule Poirot, #26) by Agatha Christie The Hollow 1

The Labours of Hercules (Hercule Poirot, #27) by Agatha Christie The Labours of Hercules 1

Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot #9) by Agatha Christie Lord Edgeware Dies 2

The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1) by Agatha Christie The Man in the Brown Suit 1

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9) by Agatha Christie The Mirror Cracked from Side to Side 3

The Mousetrap and Other Plays by Agatha Christie The Mousetrap and Other Plays 2

The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4) by Agatha Christie The Moving Finger 1

Mrs. McGinty's Dead (Hercule Poirot, #30) by Agatha Christie Mrs. McGinty's Dead 1

The Murder at Hazelmoor by Agatha Christie also see The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie Murder at Hazelmoor 2

Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1) by Agatha Christie Murder at the Vicarage 2

Murder in Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot, #14) by Agatha Christie Murder in Mesopotamia 2

A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple #5) by Agatha Christie A Murder is Announced 6

Murder Is Easy (Superintendent Battle, #4) by Agatha Christie Murder Is Easy Murder is Easy 3

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4) by Agatha Christie Murder of Roger Ackroyd 4

The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Links 3

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express 13

Murder with Mirrors by Agatha Christie Murder with Mirrors aka They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6) by Agatha Christie They Do It With Mirrors 1

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles 12

Nemesis (Miss Marple #12) by Agatha Christie Nemesis 1

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (Hercule Poirot, #23) by Agatha Christie One Two Buckle My Shoe aka An Overdose of Death by Agatha Christie An Overdose of Death 4

Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie Ordeal by Innocence 1

An Overdose of Death by Agatha Christie An Overdose of Death See One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie The Pale Horse 1

Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8) by Agatha Christie Peril at End House 1

Poirot Investigates Volume I by Agatha Christie Poirot Investigates 2

Poirot Loses a Client by Agatha Christie Poirot Loses a Client See Dumb Witness above

Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #22) by Agatha Christie Sad Cypress 1

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1) by Agatha Christie The Secret Adversary 3

The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1) by Agatha Christie Secret of Chimneys 1

The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2) by Agatha Christie The Seven Dials Mystery 3

The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie The Sittaford Mystery also see The Murder at Hazelmoor 2

Sleeping Murder (Miss Marple #13) by Agatha Christie Sleeping Murder 2

S.O.S. A Short Story by Agatha Christie S.O.S.: A Short Story 1

The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2) by Agatha Christie The Thirteen Problems 2

Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5) by Agatha Christie Towards Zero 1

The Tuesday Night Club And Other Stories by Agatha Christie The Tuesday Night Club And Other Stories 1

Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays by Agatha Christie Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays 3

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie Why Didn't They Ask Evans 1

message 3: by Kim N (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) Trevor wrote: "Just curious as to what was the book that started it all for you guys. My first book was And Then There Were None and I was hooked from the second I finished!"

I actually saw the movie first - the 1965 version called "Ten Little Indians" (one of my mom's favorites). I didn't read And Then There Were None until much later.

The first book I read was Elephants Can Remember. I was on vacation with my parents and ran out of reading material. I had to pick up something quick at a drugstore in a tiny town we were passing through. Agatha Christie was the only author I recognized!

message 4: by Lucas (new)

Lucas | 1 comments Mine was And Then There Were None. I read it about 6 Months ago. I was hooked. I'm now reading a collection of her plays. :)

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina  (saccharinerants) | 16 comments Mine is 4.50 From Paddington that was a year ago. But I can still remember the story :)

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica The Murder On The Links by Agatha Christie i read it in 9th grade and i love it still :D

message 7: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (jaschneider) | 3 comments Death on the Nile...and y'know what? I still love it and re-read it, in addition to the others that I love :)

message 8: by Liora (new)

Liora | 11 comments The clocks, it was good but I think there are others much better

message 9: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 2254 comments I can't remember for sure, but I do remember buying The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side in junior high, so that might be the first I read.

message 10: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 15 comments I read my first AC when I was 10 or 11 years old, which was longer ago than I care to ponder! At this point, I can no longer be sure, but it may have been The Secret Adversary. It was certainly one of the first I read, and I remember enjoying that book's youthful spirit and heroes. "The Man in the Brown Suit" was another I liked for the same reason at that time, but I didn't read that one till I was 13.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) My first Christie read was the wonderful The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.....what a way to start on a life-long love of the author's work.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

If I remember correctly, the first one I read was Murder on the Orient Express.

message 13: by Gautam (new)

Gautam My first and my favourite And Then There Were None.

message 14: by Matt (new)

Matt (matthewyouden) Murder on the orient express. Remains to this day one of my absolute favorites. Agatha Christie, queen of crime

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrsmelissa) My first experience was The Thirteen Problems. I was sitting on the deck of my little cabin in a diver's resort in Oman. I recall that I would slowly get sloshed each afternoon, completely immersed and reading on until the sun went down. It was a nice respite from the hot, hot sun!

message 16: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cecilialgilbert) | 21 comments My first Agatha Christie novel was Murder on the Orient Express. It was recommended to me by my high school librarian. Now, I own so many of her books that I always joke if someone I know dies, the police will take one look at my bookshelf and mark me down as their primary suspect.

message 17: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 38 comments It's over forty years ago so my memory may well be shaky, but *I think* it was The Body in the Library. It was a friend's book and I remember having to give it back before I'd finished it. I was so intrigued that I went to the local library - helpfully, just across the road from where I lived - and borrowed it so I could finish it. I've since read them all, some of them many times.

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Wow Lynda, I've been trying to go through all her books for a long time. Maybe with us reading through her all her books I will eventually.

message 19: by Carolyn F. (new)

Cecilia wrote: "My first Agatha Christie novel was Murder on the Orient Express. It was recommended to me by my high school librarian. Now, I own so many of her books that I always joke if someone I know dies, th..."

Although I hung out in the library a lot, the librarians were always working and didn't interact a lot that I could see. I just came across my first book I think because I watched the movie first - the 1960s version of And Then There Were None.

message 20: by Agatha (new)

Agatha Christie | 27 comments the moving finger..Agatha Christie had a way of putting a spin on things!?I really loved reading this book!?

message 21: by Camila (new)

Camila Nadia (camilanadia) | 4 comments I just recently read my first Christie's book. Endless Night. I really like the book. I love the sensation I got while reading the book. Like, I feel terrified but my curiosity is bigger so I keep on going.
As this is my first Christie's book.. and actually my first book on this genre.. so I know just sooo little. And when I read a reviews about Endless Night here saying that this book isn't like (different than) other Christie's book, I just directly pick another Christie's book, to see is it different or not.
My impression of Christie after Endless Night: Wow she's so great at playing on my emotions and curiosity. Liked it.

message 22: by Kim N (last edited Jul 05, 2012 09:44AM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) If anyone is interested in the audiobooks, Audible just posted a bunch of Agatha Christie titles in the $10 to $12 range. They are worth listening to for the wonderful narrators, especially Hugh Fraser and David Suchet.

message 23: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 38 comments LOL, Kim. I don't need audio books read by David Suchet. I hear him in my head every time I read a Poirot book!

message 24: by Carolyn F. (new)

Lynda wrote: "LOL, Kim. I don't need audio books read by David Suchet. I hear him in my head every time I read a Poirot book!"

You'd be amazed at how good they both are Lynda - not just Poirot but the other characters. They both really do a fantastic job.

message 25: by Ana (new)

Ana The ABC Murders was my first book by Agatha Christie

message 26: by Ashwath (new)

Ashwath | 17 comments My first was 'Lord Edgware Dies'. Not her best book, but it got me started! :-)

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1 comments Elephants Can Remember: I was in the 4th grade and found my mom's copy on her bedroom side table. I don't know that I understood all of it at the time (I was only 10) but I remember how much I loved it! How cool is it that Agatha Christie is that accessible?

message 28: by Martha (new)

Martha | 96 comments Mod
Mine was A Caribbean Mystery and, I felt in love with Agatha Christie's books.

message 29: by Mat (new)

Mat | 11 comments Caribbean was also one of mine firsts :) But I think in the very beginning there was And Then There Were None

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 2 comments I went straight for the jugular with Murder on the Orient Express. I liked it but I thought And then there were None, Death on the Nile and Murder of Roger Ackroyd were much better. Death on the Nile was just awesome.

message 31: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (seareader) It was Cat among the Pigeons. I loved the cinema version and decided that it had to be the first one I read.

message 32: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Stevenson (Bonnie95) | 3 comments Mine was And Then There Were None too. It was just awesome!

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments Mine was Murder After Hours (original title: The Hollow). I just looked in it, and at the time I would write my name and the month and year I read a book inside the front cover, and it was January, 1974. I looked through a few others (no time to do them all!), and found I also read Evil Under the Sun that month, too. I seem to have been reading them at the pace of at least several per month. At some point, I apparently stopped noting the date, though.

message 34: by Carolyn F. (new)

That's so smart Denise that you kept track of the books you read. I didn't until I came here to Goodreads.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe, for me!

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments Denise wrote: "Mine was Murder After Hours (original title: The Hollow). I just looked in it, and at the time I would write my name and the month and year I read a book inside the front cover, and it was January..."

Arrgghh, I got it wrong! The first one I read was Murder at Hazelmoor. Sometimes I look at the books on my shelf and get them confused! This one I apparently read in 1971, but it's strange, because although my name and the year are written inside the front cover, it is obviously in somebody else's handwriting. A mystery worthy of Christie - LOL!

message 37: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1 comments mine was why didn't they ask Evans only about 4 years ago. I've been hooked ever since gonna be starting my 6th soon.

message 38: by Blackraven (new)

Blackraven (black_raven) | 9 comments And then there were none

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

So many people have written that And Then There Were None was their first Agatha Christie book. It's such a good one it keeps you reading the rest.

message 40: by M.A.G.F. (new)

M.A.G.F. Lee (Glaaadiosaaa) | 3 comments AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen J.A. wrote: "Death on the Nile...and y'know what? I still love it and re-read it, in addition to the others that I love :)"

That is a really good one. I believe my first may be her most well known, Murder on the Orient Express.

message 42: by Andy (new)

Andy | 27 comments I'd always heard about Ms. Christie's work, other books, TV shows, conversations, etc., but I'd never read anything until fairly recently. I talked to one of my friends who was a big fan, and she pointed me to either Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot. I picked Murder at the Vicarage and I'm still going.
(sigh)
My problem is that I want the sets of books to LOOK like sets, and I keep getting different editions from the ones I want. Ah, for the good old days of actual book stores, when you could just pick off the shelves. But then if they didn't have it or couldn't order it, you were out of luck.

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen Andy wrote: "I'd always heard about Ms. Christie's work, other books, TV shows, conversations, etc., but I'd never read anything until fairly recently. I talked to one of my friends who was a big fan, and she p..."

I understand exactly how you feel on this. It is so annoying.

message 44: by Bayan (new)

Bayan Oh (bayanoh) I think it was After the Funeral
Not sure if it was, but it's one of the best Christie's books I've read.

message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy | 27 comments Karen wrote: "I understand exactly how you feel on this. It is so annoying. "

TELL me about it. I have three editions of Death Comes as the End. I ordered the five Tommy and Tuppence books, and got four different paperback editions and one hardback. :-( :-( :-(

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Andy wrote: "Karen wrote: "I understand exactly how you feel on this. It is so annoying. "

TELL me about it. I have three editions of Death Comes as the End. I ordered the five Tommy and Tuppence books, and go..."

Come on, in this day and age can't they make it easier on us?

message 47: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments One of the problems of buying Agatha Christie books is that there are so many of them that by the time you buy them all, the publishers change the cover format multiple times! I would also like to have them all match. Also, some of the paperbacks were by different publishers - most were either Dell or Pocket Books, but there were a few by another publisher, too, so those will never match, either.

message 48: by Nathan (new)

I don't mind mismatched covers as much.. But whenever I see a weird or unusual cover I will most likely buy it even if I already own that book. I know, such a bad habit but I can't help it!

message 49: by Andy (new)

Andy | 27 comments Trevor wrote: "I don't mind mismatched covers as much.. But whenever I see a weird or unusual cover I will most likely buy it even if I already own that book. I know, such a bad habit but I can't help it!"

Trevor, yer just weird! :-D

Pocket Books have printed at least three different editions on the same ISBNs, and HarperCollins have printed at least two. Of course, HC bought Fontana, so you might have three (or more) different editions there, too. (sigh)

message 50: by Nathan (new)

Yes, that does bother me when it's different covers/same ISBN. A lot of my GR covers are blank because I refuse to have a different cover on GR than I have in real life.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9