Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Classical Music

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments All right, I just realized most of the music we talk about is modern. I wanted a different topic for the "Elder music" as I call it. I practically live waist-deep in Romanticist music.

message 2: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
My favorite thing in life is the opera Pyramus and Thisbe by John Frederick Lampe. Catchy as all heck, ridiculously cool (the lion's singing is swag to the max) and most importantly, HILARIOUS. Lampe was the man.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments I haven't heard much opera. I prefer symphonies. Or Liszt's symphonic poems. those are epic.

message 4: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments WOO THIS TOPIC WAS MUCH NEEDED

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (thesignpainter) Are we talking Classical Music as in music from the Classical Era or like, music-that-is-not-from-this-century Classical Music?

message 6: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I would assume all classical music, because Jo talked about Romanticist.

Romanticist. <3

message 7: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Iviana (The Sign Painter) wrote: "Are we talking Classical Music as in music from the Classical Era or like, music-that-is-not-from-this-century Classical Music?"

I presume she means the latter? I never say "classical" music in that context because I very rarely listen to any instrumental music actually from the classical era, most of the stuff I listen to being romantic and 20th-century and what have you.

message 8: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I find I really like the romantic and 20th century eras. Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Debussy....

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments Stravinski, too. I also love, oh, Massenet.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments They all are--except for, of course, the movements. Holst and Mendelssohn are Romantic, Dukas is Impressionist, Rimsky-Korsakov (one of my Russian favorites) is Nationalist, and Pachelbel is Baroque.

message 11: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments You need to teach me.

I've been wanting to learn more.

message 12: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Holden wrote: "Favorite pieces, anyone?

Some of mine:

Holst: Mars
Holst: Jupiter
Pachabel: Canon in D
Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Mendelssohn: Overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream
Rimsky-Korsakov: Song of..."

You're a pianist, correct? You're the first instrumentalist I've met who actually likes Pachelbel's Canon xD I've played it several times in both guitar orchestra and string ensemble and we're all sick to death of it.

I do love the Sorcerer's Apprentice though. I hope I get a chance to play it someday.

message 13: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments right then;

Dmitri Shostakovich- ALL the compositions. He's my favourite.
Camille Saint-Saëns- Danse Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah
Camille Saint-Saëns- Havanaise in E Major
Edward Elgar- Cello Concerto in E Minor
Edward Elgar- Enigma Variations
Ludwig van Beethoven- Piano Concerto #4 in G Major
Henri Dutilleux- Tout un Monde Lointain
Franz Liszt - Liebestraum
Franz Schubert- an Sylvia
George Gershwin- Rhapsody in Blue
Maurice Ravel- Piano Trio in A Minor
Frédéric Chopin- Scherzo No. 2
Hector Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique
Isaac Albéniz- Asturias (Leyenda) from Chants d'Espagne
Henryk Górecki- Third Symphony
John Cage- Dream
Igor Stravinskiy-Violin Concerto in D Major

They're all the ones I can think of from the top of my head. There's probably some really important one I've missed out and am going to be really annoyed with myself for forgetting later on.

message 14: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Rebekka (ἈΝΆΓΚΗ) wrote: "I, too, am utterly sick of "Pachebel's Canon". And for some reason, people in the electronica* community have this weird affinity for pumping out endless remixes. I don't understand it. I've nev..."

I have never ventured anywhere near the electronica community, so I wouldn't know xD But, yes, its popularity and the reason it has become so enduring are rather lost on me. I know it must be popular for some reason, or else it wouldn't be so widely recognised, I am just curious as to why.

message 15: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments T e s n i wrote: "Holden wrote: "Favorite pieces, anyone?

Some of mine:

Rimsky-Ko..."

Oh, I like Pachelbel's Canon too. XP

message 16: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I now have a summer music listening list.

message 17: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

I was just reminded that Nixon in China exists. Nixon in China is the most bomb awesome thing on the planet.

message 18: by Yaa (new)

Yaa (mediocreatbest) | 151 comments Moonlight Sonata! Hardest piece I had to learn apart form Petite Chien by Chopin

message 19: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Thank you, Holden, for getting me into Holst.

JOHN WILLIAMS DREW HIS INSPIRATION FROM HOLST.

As I was listening to "Mars" and "Jupiter" I was blown away by the similarities.

message 20: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Holden wrote: "Emily [Just call me Mrs. Rogers] wrote: "Thank you, Holden, for getting me into Holst.

As I was listening to "Mars" and "Jupiter" I was blown away b..."

I was listening to "Mars" and I was "HOLY CRAP IT'S STAR WARS!" and then I listened to Jupiter and I was all "HOLY CRAP IT'S THE TOWERING INFERNO!"

And "Venus" inspired "Luke and Leia", one of my favorites. :3

message 21: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Holden wrote: "Baxter wrote: "I was just reminded that Nixon in China exists. Nixon in China is the most bomb awesome thing on the planet."

Ooo I almost went to see that a few months ago but tickets were like 10..."

Not going to lie, I would spring 100 bucks to see it. It's so insane. And it's dumb how easily stuff like News Has a Kind of Mystery get stuck in your head.

message 22: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments ~Yue~ [Starless Nights Will Cover Day] wrote: "Holden wrote: "Emily [Just call me Mrs. Rogers] wrote: "Thank you, Holden, for getting me into Holst.

As I was listening to "Mars" and "Jupiter" I w..."

UGH I'M JEALOUS TOO.

Holden wrote: "Emily [Just call me Mrs. Rogers] wrote: "Holden wrote: "Emily [Just call me Mrs. Rogers] wrote: "Thank you, Holden, for getting me into Holst.

As I ..."

NERDFIGHTERS!

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments T e s n i wrote: "right then;

Edward Elgar- Cell..."

Shostakovich- I'm afraid i haven't heard much of him.
Saint-Saëns- Genius. The Havanaise is one of my favorites.
Elgar- I've heard of him, but not much of his pieces.
Beethoven- I have a grudge with Beethoven, but i haven't heard much of his piano concerts. Just his 5th, 6th and 3rd Symphonies.
Henri Dutilleux- *goes look up cough cough*
Franz Liszt - I am looking around everywhere for the Liebestraum. I am insane over his symphonic poems and a few of his Hungarian rhapsodies.
Franz Schubert- Never heard of an Sylvia, but I love his String Quartet "Death and the Maiden."
George Gershwin- Rhapsody in Blue is my entire childhood. and An American in Paris is lovely.
Maurice Ravel- *clears throat* I'm fairly unexperienced with Ravel's piano work. I've just listened to his Spanish Rhapsody and his orchestration of Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
Frédéric Chopin- I've heard all his Nocturnes and Préludes and even his Piano Concert No. 2, but never his Scherzo.
Hector Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique. Lovely, lovely, lovely. I've also heard Tristia. I am searching everywhere for Beatrice and Benedict and especially Lélio.
Isaac Albéniz- Heard of the Suite Espagnole, only.
Henryk Górecki- Another unfamiliar name.
John Cage- I'm afraid I dislike Cage slightly.
Igor Stravinskiy-Violin Concerto in D Major. My dream concerto. Yes, even over Mendelssohn's freaking irritating Violin Concerto in E minor. But under Massenet's Meditation from Thaïs.

message 24: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Jo wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "right then;

Camille Saint-Saëns- Havanaise in E Major..."

Shostakovich isn't for everyone, I wouldn't think, but it's worth giving him a listen.
Also Elgar. Elgar is, like, the first instrumental composer I ever really got into listening to. I used to have the cello concerto on cassette as a child and listened to it every night.

I don't usually listen to much Beethoven either, actually, but I found all 5 piano concertos on CD at the library, and played by the Vienna Philharmonic under Brendel and Rattle, no less! I love them all, but the fourth is my favourite.

The Liebestraum is on YouTube, as is An Sylvia, if you're into classical Lieder. I guess a couple of the two hundred or however many he composed you've heard them all, but I've sung a fair few as parts of singing exams and concerts and things, and An Sylvia is the one I like the very best.
Also Chopin's Scherzo is on YouTube, like almost everything else.

Why don't you like Cage, may I ask? Just curious.

message 25: by Baxter, butts butts butts (last edited Jun 18, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

John Cage: Oh man, I can't believe it! These cacti were a steal! And so cheap too. Boy, I can't wait to take these bad boys home and spruce up my window sill. Not only will they look nice, but they'll keep that dang cat out! Yeah. These'll learn that little far--OH NO. I HAVE A CONCERT IN FIVE MINUTES! THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TIME TO GO GET MY INSTRUMENTS AND I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING WRITTEN AND OH NO OH NO WHAT DO I DO!?

He then looks down at his bag of cacti and suddenly gets an idea.
The audience pees themselves.

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments Discovered Edouard Lalo. His Symphonie Espagnole is beautiful. The Scherzando right up there with Meditation from Thais and Mendelssohn's Concert in E minor.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Holden wrote: "Favorite pieces, anyone?

Some of mine:

Rimsky-Korsakov: Song of..."

You know how to roll with the music, now don't you?

message 28: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Yes he does.

message 29: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
I don't know nearly as much about classical music as I should, considering that I've been playing the piano for ten years and I want to minor in music so I probably won't say much. But this topic does seem quite lovely.

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments You can learn. And you'll do it quickly, if you like music.

message 31: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Lav [we sleep until the sun goes down] wrote: "I don't know nearly as much about classical music as I should, considering that I've been playing the piano for ten years and I want to minor in music so I probably won't say much. But this topic d..."

I WANT TO MINOR IN MUSIC TOO BUT ACCORDING TO MY FATHER IT'S A "BASKET-WEAVING DEGREE" AND THAT PRETTY MUCH MEANS HE THINKS IT'S USELESS AND DUMB AND WON'T SUPPORT ME.

message 32: by Elliott (last edited Jun 24, 2012 08:02PM) (new)

If you minor in music, you don't need to get a career in it, you know.

message 33: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I know that, but if I don't get a career in it it's even more useless.

My dad is pretty much critical in all my interests. If it doesn't make me money and if it isn't a solid job, it's stupid.

message 34: by Elliott (new)

My dad doesn't think I should try to be a psychologist. :P

message 35: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments So far, the only job my dad has seemed to be almost completely okay with is when I wanted to be a neuro scientist.

Now I want to be something like a criminal psychologist and he's iffy again.

message 36: by Elliott (new)

I don't think it's about the money. He kind of just thinks it's a stupid, pointless job. *rolls eyes*

message 37: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Lav [we sleep until the sun goes down] wrote: "I don't think it's about the money. He kind of just thinks it's a stupid, pointless job. *rolls eyes*"

Pffft, psychology is freaking beast.

message 38: by Elliott (new)

I KNOW. And I'm a beast, so. xD

message 39: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Yeah, it totally matches up.

DO IT.

message 40: by Elliott (new)

I DO BELIEVE I WILL. Unless I get published first, in which case I AM GOING TO BE A WRITER.

message 41: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I can't publish a book while living with my parents. ._.

THE THINGS I WRITE ABOUT WOULD GIVE THEM A HEART ATTACK AND THEN THEY WOULD LOCK ME IN THE UTILITY ROOM FOR TWENTY YEARS.

message 42: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

message 43: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments My dad wants me to be an engineer or a very very proffesional violinist. Go figure. I love the violin, but I wouldn't major in it.

█║ ✕ Angel ‟ (sirsly) My parents want me to get into basketball....

message 45: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments T e s n i wrote: "right then;

Edward Elgar- Cell..."

I just listened to some Shostakovich. I love it.

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Phillip Wesley has some beautiful piano music.

And a piano piece that is fairly popular is River Flows in You by Yiruma.

FREAKING FILM SCORES. Hans Zimmerman and John Williams etc.

Jon Schmidt! The Piano Guys are just awesome.

Rachmaninoff! Ahhhh, love many of his orchestral pieces.

message 47: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments Yiruma is lovely.

message 48: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Mandy wrote: "Phillip Wesley has some beautiful piano music.

And a piano piece that is fairly popular is River Flows in You by Yiruma.

FREAKING FILM SCORES. Hans Zimmerman and John Williams etc.

Jon Schmidt!..."

HANS ZIMMER AND JOHN WILLIAMS FOR THE FREAKING WIN

message 49: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments EEZACTLY.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.