Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #1)
This topic is about Abraham Lincoln
Staff Picks > Staff Pick- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lexie Robinson Austin (lrobinson) | 83 comments I wanted to like this book, I really did. I wanted to totally reimagine U.S. history with vampires and intrigue. I wanted to see Abraham Lincoln as a action hero Bruce Willis type, unleashing a can of you-know-what on unsuspecting vampires.

Unfortunately, I didn't like it. Now, here's my warning: I am the first one to admit that I do NOT have a long attention span when it comes to literature. There's a reason I'm a Children's Librarian, and why most of the books I read are children’s/YA literature. But every now and then I foray into the world of grown up books. And sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. And sometimes I am just bored. This is one of those times. You, dear reader, may find this book endlessly fascinating. You may find it enthralling and engaging and life changing. I just found it "meh".

The book starts out with a charming short piece about the "author" receiving the diaries of Abraham Lincoln from a vampire. I LOVED this part. I thought it was interesting and inventive. Then we got to Abraham Lincoln's diaries. And even though there were creepy vampires and blood and gore....I got bored. I had the same problem with Seth Grahame-Smith's other work: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". Once you get over the "Ha ha! Oh wow! Someone's messed with something historical!" novelty of it, it's repetitive and too much like reading history text book (albeit and altered one).

In fact, I dropped it about 1/3 of the way through. I just didn't care about any of the characters or the plot anymore. In my world, there are too many books waiting to be read, so it's a waste to spend time on books that don't capture your attention span. So I moved on. I would have given it one star, but the beginning intro was so fabulous I gave it an extra star just for that.

message 2: by Jessie J (new)

Jessie J (subseti) | 42 comments This is one where I go, "Hmm. The movie looks fun." And then take a miss on the books. I was highly offended by "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," (which I didn't actually read--just skimmed through).

Lexie Robinson Austin (lrobinson) | 83 comments I agree with you Jessie. I think I'll take a pass on the rest of the book and just catch the movie!!!

message 4: by Trina (new)

Trina Altman (taltman73) | 3 comments This is one I have been on the fence about reading,in part because I did read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", and once the novelty wore off, I was left unimpressed. Maybe this is a case where I too, will choose the movie over the book.