Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's May Mustering 1/4

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments My May reads have been mustered and they are being presented here for your inspection. Because I haven't been in school, I have the same number of reads as April but not so many on Kindle.

1)Fairlydenby Gwen Kirkwood (historical fiction) Source: Free Kindle Book Started: 4/12 Finished: 5/26

Why Read: This book takes place in 19th century Scotland and the MC is deaf. I'm interested in both Scotland and deaf MCs. I didn't have very much time for Kindle books after I got back from New York. I ended up not finishing it in April. So it became the first book of May even though it took nearly all of May to get it read. I had to prioritize e-books that I promised to review.

Comments: This is the first in a series dealing with a family farm. There are no huge world changing events in this book, but it is nevertheless a moving story. At the age of 15 Mattie Cameron must flee a horrifying arranged marriage and start a new life. Her biggest challenge was finding people who don't think that a deaf girl is an idiot. I rated this B+ If you want to see a fuller discussion of this book it's on a June blog post called "Discrimination Against The Deaf--Then and Now" at: http://www.maskedpersona.blogspot.com

2)The Altar of My Soul: The Living Traditions of Santeriaby Marta Moreno Vega (memoir/alternative religion)283 pages. Source:Library Started: 4/30 Finished: 5/4

Why Read: I read Vega's YA memoir When the Spirits Dance Mambo: Growing Up Nuyorican in El Barrio and really liked the Santeria content. I looked at her other work on GR and decided that I needed to read this one.

Comments: I learned Santeria vocabulary and stories that I hadn't previously known. I was impressed by Vega's broad perspective. She embraces all the African diasporic religions. I gave this book an A. My blog post is "The Wide Embrace of Marta Moreno Vega" and can be found at http://www.maskedpersona.blogspot.com

3)Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy, Book 1). (historical fantasy) Source: author's e-book giveaway Started: 5/1 Finished: 5/3

Why Read: It really sounded interesting. It's about an African American slave in the ante-bellum South with paranormal gifts who escapes slavery to live with a vampire. The author requested a review in return for the free gift.

Comments: When I was halfway through this book I was surprised to see reviews that called this a romance. One of the major requirements of romance is HEA. There is the strong implication that there is no HEA for this couple. So I labeled it dark fantasy in my review. The author commented that she would market future volumes as dark fantasy. I really liked the idea of a slave escaping with the help of a vampire, and I also really liked the way the vampire was portrayed. He's my sort of vampire--very much like Nick Knight from the TV series Forever Knight. I also really loved the strength and heroism of the female MC. I gave this a B+

4) Celtic Stormsby Delany Rhodes (historical paranormal romance) Source: The Bookplex
Started: 5/4 Finished: 5/6

Why Read: The heroine's family has secrets. That's vague, but I decided that it could be interesting. I also like historical romances that take place in Ireland.

Comments: Although there were a couple of minor problems, I did like this book. I was interested in the concept and the situation of the O'Malley clan. The hero was a wonderful character. I was somewhat miffed by the cliffhanger ending, however. Rating B- You can find a longer review with historical research among my May blog posts at http://www.maskedpersona.blogspot.com

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments These all sound good, Shomeret! Love your blog!

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Shomeret wrote: "3)Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy, Book 1). (historical fantasy) Source: author's e-book giveaway Started: 5/1 Finished: 5/3..."

This sounds intriguing, Shomeret. Glad your feedback on classifying this story was picked up on by the author!