Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > Best Bachman book?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. (new)

Mr. E (mrefans) | 4 comments In your opinion what is the best Bchman books or books and why?

message 2: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments It's a close one for me between Rage and The Long Walk. Rage because it is so raw and brutal and The Long Walk which is has great characters being put through such an inhuman and surreal event. Both are among my favorite King novels.

message 3: by Rick (last edited Jun 20, 2012 10:24AM) (new)

Rick | 38 comments The Long Walk is my favorite. The characterizations are rich and vibrant (like most of King's work) and the story is fascinating. This was the first book I'd read using the idea of a game show (or "reality show" if you really must call it that) that offers the murder/death of the contestants. I was really captivated.
Although I haven't read Blaze yet.

If I had to prioritize them:
The Long Walk
Rage
The Regulators
Thinner
The Running Man
Roadwork

And, as I said, I haven't read Blaze yet.

message 4: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments The Long Walk.

message 5: by Grant (new)

Grant Spendlove | 93 comments The Running Man. It's a hell of a read, it's cinematic and it's prophetic (written a long time before reality TV game shows, not to mention (view spoiler)). You can feel the grit, smell the smog, hear the whoosh of the pneumo bus, see the faces of Ben, Sheila, Bradley, Killian, Thompson, McCone, Amelia, Parrakis. And the story is believable. The other Bachman books are very good, but this one's always been my favorite.

message 6: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 9 comments The Long Walk, The Long Walk, The Long Walk.....this is my single favorite shortstory/novella by King/Bachman period. I remember the first time I read it feeling as if I was there with the children during the walk (being about the same age as them at the time I first read it). From the very beginning of the walk to the epic final steps, the tension is ever present. I have read it several times over the years and in each instance, I have to set aside a block of time because I know I wont be able to put it down until it's finished.

message 7: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 34 comments The Running Man
The Long Walk
Rage
Thinner
Roadwork

Haven't read yet:
Blaze
The Regulators

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments Long Walk. Rage is crap, but highly readable crap, a second place nod.

message 9: by Todd (last edited Jun 25, 2012 05:53PM) (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 34 comments Forgot to add why I thought The Running Man was the best Bachman book for me. I enjoy reading the occasional science fiction tale and King hasn't written many stories in this genre. I also thought the story ending was much better than the movie (like David Morrell First Blood (view spoiler))

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Giles | 4 comments I love The Running Man and The Long Walk...and Blaze was a good story, good writing.

message 11: by Allana (new)

Allana (allanavee) | 6 comments The Long Walk