Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Romance in Our Lives > Single Ladies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Okay, I can't be the only single girl here. C'mon ladies, show your single pride!

message 2: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Woot woot! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 146 comments I'm single as well.

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Haha yeah well I'm a junior and haven't had a boyfriend since like the sixth grade. so its safe to say I am single also.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I'm single. ☺

message 6: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Hahaha welcome to the club! People at my school are surprised when I say I have been single since 6th grade, especially since one of the girls at our school just got pregnant.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm single as well.

message 8: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments I think its better to be single. Then you don't have to worry if you boyfriend/girlfriend wants you to spend time with them or doesn't want to go shopping. And you only have to pay for yourself wherever you go.

message 9: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Plus, you have sole possession of the remote control and what channel to watch (or not to watch).

message 10: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Well, of course that is an amazing benefit of being single, but the sole most awesome thing about being single is that you can eat whatever you want and not worry what your boyfriend will say about it :)

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I was single once and it was wonderful not having to worry about what the other one wants. Of course after we got married he went on a 6 month cruise (US Navy) and I didn't have to worry then either ☺ But I did get lonely, I was very shy and didn't get out much.

message 12: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Yeah, too much of a good thing is never good :)

Results may vary :D

message 13: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments I am single too but ready to give up that status for my prince charming.

Being single does have its advantages. The toilet seat stays down. There is no one else to consider when decorating my home. I can sleep crossways on my bed if I want to. I spend my money how ever I want without criticism. There is no nagging or arguments.

I would give up my single status only if I find my very own John Thornton or Captain Wentworth. I am not interested in getting married just to say that I have a husband. I want my husband to be my one great love and best friend who's love for me is deep and constant.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Xenia, that is the way to go. Just remember there are a lot of dead fish in the sea and you want a live one. So keep fishing.

message 15: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Xenia, that is the way to go. Just remember there are a lot of dead fish in the sea and you want a live one. So keep fishing."

Unfortunately there are some dead fish in the sea....LOL What a funny way to put it...LOL I cannot stand dating though. I really, really don't like it and never did. Having to go through frogs to meet my husband is not my idea of a fun way to meet him. I have been avoiding dating for a long time because I just cannot be bothered. I had better come up with something though if I want to meet him. I sure hope that he loves to read and puts the toilet seat back down. :-)

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Xenia wrote: "I am not interested in getting married just to say that I have a husband. I want my husband to be my one great love and best friend who's love for me is deep and constant."

Such a great idea, Xenia!

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Just remember there are a lot of dead fish in the sea and you want a live one. So keep fishing."

LMBO! Oh, Pamela! You kill me sometimes.

message 18: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments That is a great way to put it Pamela! Haha

message 19: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Well, if the fish isn't on your line
Bait your hook and keep on trying
Don't let him get you down
There's other boys around, there's
Too many fish in the sea
Too many fish in the sea
I said there's short ones, tall ones,
Fine ones, kind ones,
Too many fish in the sea

I don't want nobody that don't want me
Too many fish in the sea
Ain't gonna love nobody that don’t love me now
Too many fish in the sea

message 20: by Gerrie (last edited Jun 24, 2012 07:53PM) (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments Heather, "Too Many Fish in the Sea," by the terrific Marvelettes is one of my all time favorite Motown songs. Here it is on You Tube for anyone who's interested in hearing this great song from one of the all-time-great groups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5sEv...

BTW, I'm single

message 21: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Gerrie: I love this song, though I confess--my favorite version is from The Commitments.

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jun 25, 2012 04:57AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments [image error]

[image error]

Beyonce and her "Single Ladies" friends
[image error]

[image error]

[image error]

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Added the Beyonce "All the Single Ladies" with J.T.(SNL) clip to here! to our video page. ☺

message 24: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments I love it, Lisa. That's one of the SNL Digital Shorts I missed.

message 25: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Haha nice one Lisa. Whenever I that song I think of Joe Jonas because I saw him dancing to it one time.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I missed it too, Gerrie! **sigh**

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I don't know who Joe Jonas is... oh, wait! One of the Jonas Brothers? I haven't seen that one, Jordan.

message 28: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Yeah, he is. And save your eyes the horror and don't! He was wearing this weird unitard thing and was writhing about all funny like. It was scarring.

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **snortsnort**

message 30: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Just run while you can! I'll cover you, and whatever you don't stop running! I will try to turn off the video as fast as I can, just save yourself!

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments LOL!

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 464 comments I'm another single lady around. I wouldn't mind it as much, but i live in an area where everyone around me my age is basically married, has kids, or in a relationship. It makes it a bit depressing...

I'm agree i'm looking for my prince charming. I don't go to bars or clubs and i know i wouldn't find them there anyways. I think the worse part is is that everyone seems to believe i'm 18-20 and not 26. I've gotten "your too young to be married and wouldn't understand" at work and i'm older than the guy saying it. lol

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, dear, Melissa! Well, to cheer you up: in another decade or two, you'll be glad you have those youthful looking genes. ☺

message 34: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Melissa that sounds terrible :(! They're just jealous! That's what my mother always tells me when people say something rude to me!

message 35: by Xenia (last edited Jun 29, 2012 02:06AM) (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments "I think the worse part is is that everyone seems to believe i'm 18-20 and not 26. I've gotten "your too young to be married and wouldn't understand" at work and i'm older than the guy saying it. lol"

Melissa, enjoy it while it lasts. I used to have the same "problem". Your actual age will eventually catch up with the rest of you though and then you will pine for the good ole days. :-)

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 464 comments That's what everyone keeps telling me. ^^ Doesn't help now though when i'm trying to get people to take me seriously. ^o~

message 37: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol, anyone get married while I was gone? hehe

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "lol, anyone get married while I was gone? hehe"

Ha!

message 39: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "lol, anyone get married while I was gone? hehe"

In my dreams I did. :-)

message 40: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Well, it could have happened.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 464 comments If it did i would like to know where and how i could get into the action. ^o~

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I enjoy being single, I didn't much enjoy being married. I've learned how to do all kinds of new things that I didn't know about before.

message 43: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments Melissa wrote: "I enjoy being single, I didn't much enjoy being married. I've learned how to do all kinds of new things that I didn't know about before."

I enjoy being single too, but I am still very opened to marriage. I think that marriage can be completely satisfying if you marry the right man for you. Often people marry a person they are not really compatible with. Their core values are not the same or maybe they have different ideas of what marriage is supposed to be about. Maybe they never discussed their expectations of their roles in the marriage. Many people marry for reasons that are not solid to begin with. Often men as well as women marry because being single is just too lonely and frightening. Some women believe that a husband that is a pain in the ass is still better than not having a husband. Many couples judge a relationship to be great based mainly on sex. If the sex is great they think they have found their soulmate when it was only really lust and that is not enough to sustain a marriage.

I think that we all have to be truly happy within ourselves and our lives as single people before we go in search of a mate. Anything less is bringing insecurity into a relationship and setting yourself up for choosing someone that is not really right for us in marriage.

As a single woman I know how to do all sorts of things too, but my goal is not to be superwoman. It is simply to be the best person I know how to be and live life abundantly happy, married or not. Preferably married.

message 44: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Xenia- I completely agree. People argue that certain things going on in the world, like gay marriage or things close to that, are ruining the sanctity of marriage, but when you really think about it, it's people who rush into things and do regrettable things; like cheating, lying, abuse, etc.

If you plan on marrying someone then you should feel comfortable enough with them to discuss the things you mentioned. You shouldn't be afraid of how they'll react when you tell them what you want out of marriage or what roles you both with play. If you really love each other and you've been together for a good amount of time (which you should be if you plan on getting married) then you both should be able to communicate easily and talk about things involving your marriage and tthe years you plan on spending together.

message 45: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments Jordan you brought up a great point and I have to agree with you. The sanctity of marriage was threatened long before gay people decided they want to be legally married too. We need to pay attention to what is happening in our own backyard before minding our neighbors business. Cheating, lying, and abuse of all kinds have been running rampant within heterosexual unions for decades tearing apart the fabric of marriage.

Here we are in the 21st century and 50% of marriages are still ending in divorce. The sexual revolution of the 1960's did not really do anything to bring men and women closer together. It freed women to ask for what we want in the bedroom, but many women are still faking orgasms...lol

Is it no wonder that I love to get myself lost in romance novels?

I recently read a book called Single State of the Union: Single women speak out on life, love and the pursuit of happiness. I reviewed it on my blog. Anyone can read it here if they want to: http://www.collarcitybrownstone.com/2...

Have a great day everyone!

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Xenia, loved your review of Single State of the Union Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness by Diane Mapes ! I can't - and yet can - believe the way the realtors treated you when you went house hunting! I have recently received a bit of that now that my ex has passed away, in that a few people ask why I want such a big house all to myself. I was a little shocked that people would ask me that! What business is it of theirs, anyway?

message 47: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Xenia, loved your review of [bookcover:Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life Love and the Pursuit of Happiness]! I can't - and yet can - believe the way the realtors treated ..."

Hi Lisa Kay, glad you enjoyed my review. It is really ridiculous the way society gets so riled up when single women live their lives on their own terms. Single men do it all the time and no one blinks an eye.

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Very true!

message 49: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Xenia, I loved the review! You definetly bring up a great point. Why shouldn't women be able to buy a 40 room mansion without getting looked at like their insane? Society looks at women like we are dependant and weak, and in reality it isn't that way at all! They make women seem like we need a man to hold us up. Women are perfectly capable of living on their own without needing a man to support them.

On another note, was that book good? :D It looks like something I might enjoy. Was is just short stories written by women, or a novel written by one woman who took into account all womens' views?

message 50: by Xenia (last edited Jul 13, 2012 10:29AM) (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 14 comments Jordan, the book is not really a novel. Each chapter has a different woman giving her own personal point of view and experiences as a single woman. I am not sure if the book is something you would enjoy reading. Some of the chapters bored me and others made me laugh out loud. The contributors to this book are considerably older than you are so it could either bore you or enlighten you on what you may or may not experience as a single woman out in the world on your own.

« previous 1 3 4