Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
This topic is about Eragon
Summer Reading June 18-24 > Angela tells Eragon "To know one's fate can be a terrible thing... That freedom [to choose your fate] is a gift, but it is also a responsibility more binding than chains." Would you want to know your future if you could?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new)

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
Tough question! I would say no because I would be too tempted to try to change it. If you are interested in the topic, you should read Numbers about a girl who knows when people will die.

message 2: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 29 comments I'm gonna say no, because I would then be thinking more about my future, and not appreciating what I have now. Numbers (and the rest of the series) is a really great book! I definitly recommend it!!

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) No I wouldn't. One, I'd would be way too tempted to change what I didn't want to happen, and two, part of the beauty of life is the uncertainty. Not knowing allows you to create your own future. If you did know what would happen to the future, an knew that even if you tried you couldn't change it, it wouldn't really feel like it's your life.

message 4: by Clara (new)

Clara | 16 comments Kate wrote: "Tough question! I would say no because I would be too tempted to try to change it. If you are interested in the topic, you should read Numbers about a girl who knows when people will die."

That sounds really interesting! I'll be sure to check Numbers out! Thanks Kate!

And I'd never want to know my future. Ever. I think I'd feel trapped by my own self go crazy.

Jenny | 42 comments I agree with Kate. I wouldn't want to know my future out of fear. If I found out that I would die from a car accident, I would probably make my life a lot harder by avoiding cars for the rest of my life.

Colin Filipsen | 6 comments No because there would be no exitment and thrill in life and we should not concern ourselves with Gods plan.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) I totally agree with you Colin. A friend once put to me that if we knew our future, we would be losing out on God's gift of revealing it to us at the proper time.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Hay (jaimehay) | 17 comments I wouldn't want to know my future because once you know something that will happen in the future you don't really have to try to do anything new, because everything is already laid out for you. That doesn't sound like fun.

Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Numbers (other topics)