YOUNG WRITERS discussion

Q's & Crits > Tips, Techniques and General Writing Advice

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks to the lovely Mod's for letting me hang out with you guys and be a part of this group.

I started this folder so that I don't get in the way of the awesome stuff you guys got going on here.

One thing I am most passionate about is helping and encouraging writers. Writing is an amazing hobby and a great way to explore life and I love to help out other writers in any way I can.

So I am offering my Critiquing services to the members of this group as well as helping out the other Mod's with the Writing Challenges. I am a soon-to-be published writer and love to read anything and everything. I am honest but not mean and willing to answer any questions you have about writing as best I can or send you to people who know more than me. :D

If you want me to critique your writing here's what you have to do:
1. post your link in this thread
2. let me know if you want me to send my comments privately in a message or publicly put them up so other's can see them too.
3. I need to know your age range so I know what level I need to critique you at. For example: 10-12, 13-15, 16-18

I am a pretty busy person with my own writing so I will try to get to your story within two weeks and let you know if it will take me longer!

Also, post any of your writing questions in this folder here or in a new thread and hopefully we can get some good discussions going about writing!! There is NO SUCH THING as a silly or stupid question so ask away!

Happy Writing!!

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (cimmerian) Oh congrats on your being published!! What did you write? :) And its good to know who to turn to when help is needed :) .. I'll definitly keep you in mind when I'm doubting something I wrote or just need some tips.
Well, now that I think about it. I have a question which actually is about the june writing contest. I was going to only submit the first three chapters of a story I wrote for the chalange, but do you think it is better to submit the whole story (which won't be too long, and will have at least one sequel :P )? I was planning in trying to publish it as an e-book or even as paper back after some editing (and maybe translating it to Dutch).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, that is really ambitious of you! It's A LOT of work to get a story polished enough to publish. Were you going to self publish or try to send it to magazines/publishers traditionally?

The answer to this question will guide my answer to your questions.

1. If you plan on sending it to editors or magazines you cannot put it online. Traditional publishers do NOT accept work that was put online so if that is the direction you want to go then I would say only submit the first couple parts to the June writing competition. That being said, make sure that the part you send can stand on it's own without the rest of the piece. Try not to leave the end of your excerpt dangling, if that makes sense. It is okay if your readers have questions at the end but they shouldn't be confused.

2. If you are planning on Self Pubbing it then you can do whatever you want with it! :D

Hope that helps!

P.S. Thanks for the congrats. The piece I wrote is a YA Urban Fantasy short story about a young Soul Collector

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (cimmerian) Ahh thanks a lot for the reply. I am planning on publishing it as a simple e-book, and when the sequels are done perhaps as a full book. I have published before, and they had not asked if I had put anything of the story online before, but I think it wouldn't be smart to do so anyway. Then I think I wll just submit the first three chapters. It won't be confusing, just (hopefully) interesting and thrilling on its own. With a bit of luck, someone would find it interesting enough to buy the e-book :) .. I know, I'm a dreamer :P

Your books sounds interesting. When it is published, I'll definitly check it out :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

That's awesome that you've been published. Where?

And yes, some publishers might not think to ask if you have it online but it is getting more and more common because anyone can publish anything online now with all the free blogging sites. Better safe, I say.

I look forward to reading your entry!

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice (cimmerian) I've been published by Free Musketeers. They say they can publish worldwide, but they are mainly a Dutch publisher.

Thanks! I hope the entry will be likable :)