LGBTQA Group Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Troy (new)

Troy | 73 comments Mod
Still looking for someone who is actually going to read this to divide the book into sections. Any takers?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Evans (the-freelance-editor) | 2 comments Hi, Troy; all. I apologize for not being more active-- okay, active at all --during the last book. The truth is, I had a book to review for a client that I didn't even get around to because the month got surprisingly busy with last-minute, rush projects! I'm afraid I will not have time again this month to divide up the book or read it or participate, either. But, I hope you don't get discouraged. I look forward to taking a more active role in the near future. Good luck with your schedule, too. Thanks, Stephen

message 3: by David (new)

David I would, but unfortunately not sure if I will get the chance to read the next book. I just rec'd it from the library, but my post holiday work schedule looks a little crazy. Maybe next month. It seems as if we are all a bit more busy than we thought we would be.

message 4: by Kevin L. (new)

Kevin L. (Imkevbo) | 4 comments Next month sounds GREAT to me! I saw the movie and was so inspired to jump into the book, but the one I'm finishing now is so AWFUL! I think I need something a littler brighter and uplifting to get me back on track.

A February read sounds GREAT to me!

message 5: by Whitaker (last edited Jan 10, 2009 08:40PM) (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) Hi, everyone. I don't mind leading the discussion for this, and as there don't seem to be any other volunteers, I'm just going to jump right in. In terms of breaking this up into divisions, the book itself is rather nicely divided into four sections:
Part I: The Years Without Hope
Part II: The Mayor of Catro Street
Part III: Supervisor Harvey Milk
Part IV: The Legend Begins

Let's go with that natural division then.

We're still a very young group, and looking at the experience with The Swimming Pool Library, people seem to read at their own pace. Also, I see from people's reading lists that some of you have read the book already. Others have started, but given the lousy economic times, may also be dealing with other more pressing issues in your lives.

Bearing all this in mind, if no one minds, I'm not going to set down a timetable on a chapter by chapter basis but just raise things to discuss as I read the book. In terms of timing, I'll generally be doing this as I finish the four different sections.

Kevin, David and Stephen: I hear you. But to be fair to the others who have started reading, but are keeping silent, let's just go ahead with the reading this month. Don't feel that you have to keep quiet though. It's the kind of book where you can kind of just talk about gay history and gay issues generally, so jump right in, the water's warm!

Let's keep this group going everyone!

Whitaker