I Love Young Adult Books discussion

Favorites > Favorite YA book

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, YA enthusiast (new)

Laura (snorkle) | 27 comments Mod
What are some of your top favorite YA books?

I'd have to say that my top favorites were:

Uglies
Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie
The Goose Girl
The City of Ember
Abarat
The Squire's Tale series
The Giver
Dragon's Bait
Walk Two Moons
You Don't Know Me

message 2: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Hi Snorkle! This group sounds fun. Will there be a librarian role-play or something? THAT would be fun! But, I'm also open to just talking. :)
Some of my favorite book are:

The City of Ember
Inkheart
Inkspell
Eargon
Airborn
SwordBird
SwordQuest
Dragonspell
Dragonworld
Thee, Hanna!
Peter Pan
Nick of Time
The Witch of Blackbird Pond

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amoree) | 11 comments My favorites:

Goose Girl
Book of a Thousand Days
Graceling
Uglies
Pretties
Specials
Extras
House of the Scorpion
The Giver
Twilight
Eclipse
A Countess Below Stairs
The Host
The Compound

message 4: by Laura, YA enthusiast (new)

Hello Janeen-san,
What is librarian role-playing? I don't believe that I have heard of that. And I just love talking about my favorite books...or along the likes of, "have you read this, this and that? Oh, you would love This Book!"

Oh, I loved Airborn! And I was quite fond of The Witch of Blackbird Pond when I was younger. I love Newbery books.

Alicia - I forgot about the House of the Scorpion, that was another favorite!

message 5: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Hello, Snorkle:
Well, first off....you do know what role-playing is, right? You make a character(s) and then type what they "do"; meet up with another goodreads members' character, go to the mall, fight dragons, whatever you want! I love role-playing (I've made a group of my own) and I was just curious if you would make a role-play in this group about librarins or book-loving teens--just like us. They could...I don't know, go INTO their favorite books or something?! It doesn't have to be fantasy, I just thought it would be really fun to do something like that.

My mom read The Witch of Blackbird Pond to us--me, my sister, and two brothers--about a month ago. Bjorn didn't seem that into it, but I could tell he liked it. I loved it; wich I found odd, normally I advoid true stories like the plauge, and head for the fantasy aisle. :D (Hehe, gulity.) But I found that I was loving it! My favorite character was Prudence, the little girl with MEAN paretns! She was so-o-o-o cute!

I'm glad you like Airborn, so did I! I was totally entranced; I mean, the world Matt lived in seemed so...glorious. A world where airships rule the skies...as well as cloud cats! Have you read the second one? It's title is Skybreaker, and I think it's equally amazing. I am hoping for the third one for my birthday, wich is coming up.

-Janeen-san

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amoree) | 11 comments I forgot about Notes from a Midnight Driver. I laughed out loud through a lot of this book and then had some teary-eyed moments. Great book!

Snorkle wrote: "Hello Janeen-san,
What is librarian role-playing? I don't believe that I have heard of that. And I just love talking about my favorite books...or along the likes of, "have you read this, this and..."

message 7: by Laura, YA enthusiast (new)

Yep, I know what role-playing is, you could definitely start up a topic in this group involving role-playing. That would be interesting.

Airborn was an amazing book, I remember that I read it and was completely taken into the world and just wanted to go live in that place and hang out with Matt and Kate. I did read the sequel, and I think there might even be a third one?! I know that at one point they were in the process of making Airborn into a movie...I'm not sure what is going on now, but I would Totally go see it in theaters if it came out.

I pretty much love any books that Jordan Sonnenblick write. And Notes from the midnight driver was great. It made me laugh, although, my all time favorite novel of his is still his first. What can I say?

message 8: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Snorkel wrote:

Yep, I know what role-playing is, you could definitely start up a topic in this group involving role-playing. That would be interesting...

I'm not a modorator, though. I wish I was....but YOU are the modorator, so you can make the topic, or make me a mod..., becuase, only modorators can make topics. Right?

They are going to make Airborn into a MOVIE?! woooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 9: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Okay, here is some more of my favorite books that I didn't write about in that other comment:

The Feild Guide
The Seeing Stone
Lucinda's Secret
The Ironwood Tree
The Wrath of Mugwrath
Ragweed
Poppy
Poppy & Rye
Erth's Birthday
Poppy's Return
Strange Happenings
Peter and the Starcatchers
The Merchant of Death
The Lost City of Faar
The Never War
Warriors: Into the Wild
Warriors: The Power of Three: outcast
Warriors: The New prophcey: moonrise
Hatching Magic
The Spellkey
Raising Dragons
The Candlestone
Circle of Seven
Tears of a Dragon
The Dragon of Never-was
Un Lun Dun
The Hound of Rowan: The Tapestry
Erec Rex: the Dragon's Eye
Where the Red Fern Grows

message 10: by Laura, YA enthusiast (new)

I think anyone can make topics in this group...I think I gave members a lot of access when I made this group. So feel free to make another topic!

I would be totally stoked to see Airborn in theaters...I might even go opening day.
Here's the link for IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421177/

I have lots of favorite books, I have 4 different shelves on goodreads devoted to them...haha

message 11: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Wow...!!! I wish there was a trailer we could see RIGHT NOW! I am so going to go see it!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 12: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Snorkel: I just was feeling bored and clicked on your profile. Princess Bride is a book?! Are you sure?! I LOVE the movie!

message 13: by Laura, YA enthusiast (new)

I would be super stoked to see a trailer for Airborn...I'm sure it would be ah-mazing.
Yes! The Princess Bride is an excellent book! It is even better then the movie (if you can believe that) but it is like an extended version, and it even has scenes in there that never show up in the movie....you can cram so much more information into a book then a movie. The screenplay writer for the movie was the author of the book (the book came first) and it is very much like the movie. I would highly recommend reading it, it's great.

message 14: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments The screenplay writer was the author...? That explains it; I saw the Princess Bride in Barns & Nobel, and I read the about the author part. My mom wasn't crazy about it becuase she thought the book was a movie versoin of it, sometimes they do that with movies, like Night at the Museum. You know what I mean? So...Princess Bride was made into a movie, but it was a book? Wow; next time I see the movie I'll have to look for that in the credits! Does it have any sex in it; becuase my mom won't let me read stuff like that. I'm glad you like the book, I'll put it on my to-read list. (it's growing huge!) I read your "message 14" five times, and by your dialoge you really like the moive and the book. Am I right? I haven't seen the movie in a long time (we hade it on tape but our VSH player broke) but I remember it as charming, wonderful and adventureous.

message 15: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Yep, Princess Bride was definitely a book LONG before it was a movie. I first read it before the movie came out.

message 16: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments So, you liked the moive...? *uhhhh..*

message 17: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) I liked both the book and the movie. The Princess Bride is one of the few cases where I would have a difficult time choosing which one I like more - the book or the movie. Both were great.

message 18: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Thank you...yay! OOOO this is so ixciting!!!!!!!!!!!!you must really love the book?! I am 13, do you think I would like it??????????????????????

message 19: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments (I mean, you make it sound so great!!)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 18 comments princes bride was a good movie!! i did not know htey had a book

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 18 comments princes bride was a good movie!! i did not know htey had a book

message 22: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I didn't know there was a book, until a few months ago. I am going to have to read it. I loved the movie (seen it three times). I bet the book is fantastic as well.

message 23: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 432 comments Same here! I had NO IDEA there was a book until like a month or so ago. And I though THAT was based on the movie...BUT THE BOOK CAME FIRST?

message 24: by Nikki (last edited Mar 31, 2010 04:20PM) (new)

Nikki | 4 comments Shiver
Wings
Graceling
Fire
The Mortal Instruments series
Perfect Chemistry
The Body Finder
Soul Screamers series
Fallen
Hush Hush
Lament